Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking a start date

aaad1
Hooked

Picking a start date

Hi

My current contract with Post Office will end on the 22nd May (last day) and I am thinking of switching over to PlusNet (good offers on) so that the contact can start from the 23rd May (or should it be 22nd for minimum disruption?).

I asked on the live chat if it's possible to pick a start date or delay it, I was told that it's not possible? Other ISPs can do it so I was surprised to be told that it's not possible in 2020.

There have been many posts on this forum where people have managed to delay the start date and I would like to know if I can delay the go-live date to 22nd/23rd May?

Thanks

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Picking a start date

@aaad1 

Cable companies may be able to do it but such claims by the rest who use the BT infrastructure should be treated with scepticism. The changeover requires the availability of Openreach personnel and they are thin on the ground at the moment and concentrating on keeping the network running. I suspect that their committed availability within a 2 day window in a months time cannot be guaranteed by any of them.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

aaad1
Hooked

If the 2 day window isn't possible then I'm just wondering if it's still possible to delay the start date if I place an order? If I place an order without it being postponed then I'm guessing everything will be put into motion and my switch might end up while I'm still in contract.

Thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting in touch @aaad1

It's not possible to choose a date for the order to complete if you already have a active line but if you sign up and then post back once you've done so we can get that pushed back for you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
savemedo
Grafter

TalkTalk told me that if I order another ISP to take over before the last day of my contract ending they would charge me a penalty, which I think is £30, depending on the ISP.

You would be wise to wait until the very last day of your existing contract before ordering the new one.

My switchover is going to take more than 5 weeks and it is the simplest switch it could possibly be, ADSL to ADSL.

aaad1
Hooked

@MatthewWheeler 

I will place an order this within the next 5 days then message you to get that pushed back for a bit.

Thanks

aaad1
Hooked

@savemedo 

It's going to take more than 5 weeks just to switch to plusnet?

When did you place an order and is that what plusnet confirmation email said?

Thanks

savemedo
Grafter

I've got a thread on here, "just joined".

Placed order 22 march, Plusnet say 30/4/20.

I'm really really upset by my treatment by Plusnet, they promised ten days max for a switch over, If I had been informed that there was a five plus week delay I wouldn't have signed up.

I can't contact TalkTalk either to cancel the switch and renew my contract with them!

I can't even sign up to the their forum, everything is dead!

Fuming.

aaad1
Hooked

@savemedo 

It is understandable with the current situation as there would be less Openreach electricians about. I'm sure you'll be switched over soon. Just wait a little bit longer.

Was the 30/04/20 mentioned on a confirmation email as soon as you placed the order?

Thanks

savemedo
Grafter

No, I didn't get any messages from Plusnet until the messages on my thread.

All the ISP's seem to have shut down, regarding switchovers.

I don't know how this country would survive in a war, like ww2, the whole thing would fall apart in hours.

aaad1
Hooked

Hi @MatthewWheeler

Just to let you know that I have sent you a private message with regards to my order.

Thanks