Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical installation of FTTP

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Physical installation of FTTP

Do OR provide an initial survey of property so Customer would know where they are going to install FTTP please

I fancy FTTP but was told when it first became available by OR Engineers it would be put at nearest point to T Pole which would be front of my Bungalow and internal connection.could be "messy" as my current Router etc is at the back of Bungalow

I read something about 10 metre "leeway" or allowance and I reckon.that is about the distance from where my current Cable enters an airbrick on side of bungalow to reach round walls to where Routers etc are

Thanks for any info bamboozled (as always).
8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: Physical installation of FTTP

@Bamboozled 

I can’t answer your question but the fibre has to be brought into your property close to a mains power socket to power the ONT. I have read recently that Openreach installers like tea and fig rolls/choccy biscuits, which might help with location.

Having said that there is nothing to stop you installing CAT5e Ethernet cable either internally or externally from the ONT back out through the wall to any location where you want to site your router, providing the distance is less than 100m.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Many thanks again
I may have to go the Tea Coffee and Biscuits route as my DIY skills are legendary (but not in a good way)
I will perhaps watch for OR in the area and making sure House smells off Hot coffee invite them in for an informal look
I will also look to see if they have a survey service and / or hope someone on.hete might have had them round

Cheers again bamboozled (as always)
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@Bamboozled 

I assume your current connection is via an overhead cable. If so, this is your starting point. An external box has to be fitted. The installer has a bit of leeway as to where the internal and external boxes are fited. As mentioned the internal box has to be near a power source.

While your router is currently in a back room, would this be the best place for the internal Optical Network Terminator (ONT)? Remember this is pretty much fixed whereas you have choices with the router as it connects via ethernet cable.

Brian

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Hi back and thanks for the reply

I think I may be "worrying" unduly having been thrown by OR Engineers a year back

If you were to look at my Bungalow from front the left hand room running from front to back is "where the action is"

The current cable goes into the Loft space exactly on half way via an airbrick to what was the Master Socket . An OR or maybe BT put me in a New Master socket by and sited it in back right corner of my Room where there is a Double Socket and where PN Router sits as well as Landine Cordless Phone

So if they were minded to take the cable right to that point I think it would be an easy installation

I've seen in meantime that I can register my interest and they would call and consult so I had better do that

Many thanks again jt
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

The current cable goes into the Loft space

The fibre will need to terminate at a CSP (Customer service point) , a grey box at ground level. OR engineers can not terminate the fibre at height.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@Bamboozled 

To use your current access OR would need to run the fibre back up the outside wall from the CSP. I suspect you would need to be in the loft feeding the cable. As far as I know installers don't do crawling about lofts. Is it an easy feed back down to where the Master socket is? They might be willing to run the cable round the outside to the property and put the CSP on either the side or back wall they bring the cable in for the ONT.

You often don't find out until the day of install what they're happy to do.

You'll need a backup plan in case the installer says no to the loft feed. Although my fibre came in through the front wall the ONT is installed on the back wall of the room. I didn't realise they would staple the fibre to the skirting board otherwise I would have reconsidered the position of the ONT or pre installed cable ducts.

If cable ducts on the wall are acceptable then the ONT could go on the front wall and the router where ever you want it. Or the fibre could be brought in at the front and then taken to the back.

Your phone location no longer matters. With FTTP you need to use VOIP which connects to the router. I assume you know PN don't do VOIP so to keep a phone you'd need to set up an account with an independent VOIP provider.

Brian

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Depending on how much preparation work you're willing to undertake (conduit etc.), the CSP doesn't necessarily need to go outside, or even at ground level. Likewise the CSP to ONT fibre can be routed through pre-installed conduit.

My CSP is indoors, the ONT is on a different floor.