cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone service and broadband activated at different times

champ388
Grafter

Phone service and broadband activated at different times

I had an e-mail from Plusnet this morning confirming that my phone service is now ready to use. It mentioned something about my second bill: "Because your broadband and home phone were activated at different times, we'll give you a discount off your second month's bill. We'll refund you for the period between your broadband and home phone going live. Your second month's invoice will show you details of the refund."

Is it normal for the phone service and broadband to be activated at different times? My phone and broadband is to be transferred across to Plusnet today, so hopefully the broadband is still on track to be transferred today.

25 REPLIES 25
champ388
Grafter

Re: Phone service and broadband activated at different times

Just had an e-mail to let me know that my fibre's ready to go - excellent! Still a little stumped by the first e-mail, though.

Hopefully I'll get the same speeds as I did with BT - about 64Mb down and about 12Mb up.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi there @champ388 

Everything is showing complete at our end - how's it looking from your side of things? Managed to establish a connection? 

Sorry for the confusion in that first message - basically, it was saying that the 2nd bill would have been pro rata if there was indeed a gap. 

There are times when broadband and phone do not go live at the same time. 

As everything seems to have happened at the same time, your invoices should just be standard and as you were quoted at the point of sale.

Apologies again if this was a tad unclear. 

Thanks 

champ388
Grafter

I haven't been able to check - still in work, unfortunately. I'll check this evening when I get home. Would it be normal for my speeds to fluctuate for a few days? I'll reply to this thread with whatever the outcome.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Whilst it generally can take around 48 hours for fibre speeds to settle once the connection is activated, our tests are showing a potential congestion issue at the exchange.

According to the latest capacity report we have from our suppliers, new equipment was due to be installed on the 29th June but it looks like it may have been pushed back.

Unfortunately the team that deals with these problems work 9-5:30 so we'll update you within the next couple of days as soon as we know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
champ388
Grafter

I've setup the Hub One and I'm online - great stuff. The speeds are a little low (about 47Mb down and 9Mb up, 63ms ping time), but as you say, the line needs to settle and there are congestion issues at the exchange. I'll be patient and leave things settle for a few days before running another speed test. Other than that, the transfer to Plusnet has been absolutely seamless and the updates you guys have provided are way more than I would've expected and had with BT. A big thank you from me, and I'm really glad I made the choice to switch.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems at all @champ388 and thanks for your kind words.

Fingers crossed the congestion issues are fixed soon.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
champ388
Grafter

Just a thought. I was doing a bit of reading earlier and came across this topic where another customer who migrated from BT to Plusnet had a similar issue. Is there a possibility that the root cause could also apply to my situation?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Unfortunately if that was the case for your line there's not much we can do about it as we don't have any control over the the dynamic line management (DLM) software.

As our tests are showing signs of congestion there's a fair chance that that's the cause.

[edit]

The issue discussed in the linked thread would affect the sync rate coming into the router.

Now contrary to the above, as your speeds are on target for your sync rate of 50mbps, it looks like the issue may be that your previous provider had you on a 3db target and upon completion of the migration order DLM was reset.

However, our suppliers have now confirmed congestion at the exchange still which is likely the cause of your fluctuating speeds. They've arranged to move your circuit to a different part which should happen within 24-48 hours.

To summarise, it looks like there's two problems; the congestion causing your fluctuating speeds we can fix but your actual sync rate being lower than what it was with your previous provider, DLM may provide your line a 3db target again.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
champ388
Grafter

Thank you very much for coming back to me regarding the congestion at the exchange and I'm very grateful that the supplier will move my circuit to a different part. I'm hopeful that the move will provide some improvement and perhaps the DLM will provide my line with a 3db target, again.

I'll keep an eye on things and then run further speed tests in 24-48 hours. Will you receive an update from the supplier when my circuit has been moved?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems @champ388 and yeah we'll be advised when the move is complete.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @champ388

Looks like the move completed this morning.

Let us know if your speeds are still fluctuating.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
champ388
Grafter

Thanks for getting back to me. I carried out another wired speed test at 7:30pm this evening, and the download was approximately 56Mb and the upload was approximately 8.9Mb. With BT, the download was approximately 65Mb and the upload was approximately 11Mb - so not a huge difference. It would seem that the circuit move has provided some improvement. Would the line still be 'settling'? Perhaps the DLM still hasn't set the 3dB target.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

It can take 48 hours for DLM to settle after a modify completes

I'd recommend keeping a eye on it

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
champ388
Grafter

Will do, thank you. I was concerned because I accidentally unplugged the Hub One from the mains the other night, so I thought that would upset the DLM.