cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone fully active, modem seems in sync with the cabinet but order stuck and account inactive.

FIXED
sewer56lol

Phone fully active, modem seems in sync with the cabinet but order stuck and account inactive.

I've cancelled my BT FTTC 76/19 package on the day the contract with them ended (at the time I was temporarily abroad), and moved over to Plusnet's equivalent Unlimited Fibre Extra on 21/07/2016 (initial payment has also been fully paid on the same date) having returned back home from being abroad.
I've had everything already set up in advance of making the order at home, with all the equipment already ready and powered and simply waiting for activation post order.

Following the confirmation of the order and the payment being made, the phone service was fully operational and running as fast as literally an hour faster which made me happy as I figured the same could happen for my FTTC package, unfortunately that has not been the case. A day later on the next morning, 22/07/2016, at 9am I had a message with the confirmation that the FTTC/broadband service should be up any running by Friday 29/07/2016 23:59, however that day has already occurred and I am left without connectivity now on the 5th physical day since the day the service was meant to be up and running. The following Tuesday, 26/07/2016, 1 week ago, at around 11pm when I initially noticed, the Openreach modem has been in sync with the cabinet with the DSL diode being fully lit as it should be and the router (which I temporarily connected 3/4 times for 5 minutes since to check) appearing to reach the authentication servers without a problem (as far as I can tell from the logs), however failing authentication because the account was inactive. The DSL diode is still up lit, it has been now around 150 hours since it has been lit up for the first time.

The next day 27/07/2016 I received the regular broadband welcome letter (with your regular short FAQ and any quick tips to get started) being delivered through the front door which typically arrives on the day of, or day post activation from the past experiences.

My problem here is that now, on 02/08/2016 for a long while, since the day of the order, the order tracker has been stuck on 'Checking your line' 13 days (9 business days) since the initial payment was fully realized at the time of posting this thread, however the modem is fully up and running - and in fact appears fully synced without an issue. I have once turned the modem off for 30 minutes (in fact yesterday), past the given activation day to see if it could potentially rectify the issue/somehow purge the order in one way or another but it doesn't seem to in fact have helped at all, I don't want to try doing that again as I do not want to have to wrestle DLM, as a person who does game on a somewhat regular basis I do fancy low pings and hate interleaving which I would not want to trigger with disconnections.

My household has been powered by Openreach based ISPs for around the past 4 years since moving in, it is within VDSL Range A (Clean) and I've never had any issues with switching providers before or getting internet service etc.

Could someone please activate my account or see what could be done with the order? Everything appears up and running here bar not having an account active from my end.

I do not know if there is any forum <=> plusnet account linking facility (I could not find one), in the case that is necessary, my Plusnet account under which the service has been ordered has the same name as my forum account 'sewer56lol' (minus quotes).

I'm a night owl so I should be still awake for the next 3-4 hours till 5am, if there is any more details you would require, do not hesitate to ask straight off so less time would be wasted on both ends, I'd like to have broadband up and running as quick as possible now since it has been a while and I won't mind staying up a night.

In short: Modem is in sync with the cabinet but order stuck on 'Checking your line' for a week and account is inactive.
3 REPLIES 3
sewer56lol

Re: Phone fully active, modem seems in sync with the cabinet but order stuck and account inactive.

I don't want to edit as the post is already long, but I also just connected the router to check, here's a relevant snippet of my router log:
pppd[333]: pppd 2.4.7 started by admin, uid 0
pppd[333]: Connected to <MAC address here> via interface eth3
pppd[333]: Connect: ppp0 &lt;--&gt; eth3
pppd[333]: CHAP authentication failed
pppd[333]: Connection terminated.
pppd[333]: Modem hangup.
&nbsp;
This section loops, however with what I also have before this snippet on the router confirms that I am fully connected as far as I can tell, just that my account is inactive and order appears stuck.
&nbsp;
I've been using my own router for a long time with the last 3 ISPs (all Openreach based providers with accounts) I had, I've already set up my router long ago with the relevant PPPoE settings to connect to the network ahead of time, my account page also tells me that the account is yet inactive.

Edit: Tagging @Darkfire
+Darkfire

Whom appears to be a really kind responsible person since I figured replying to own post knocks this off unanswered and this probably won't be seen for a while.
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Phone fully active, modem seems in sync with the cabinet but order stuck and account inactive.

Fix

well flattery really will get you everywere Tongue

I've taken a look this morning, as you state the connection the exchange is all live, it was on our side that things weren't active, I'll look further into a cause later on but you should be able to connect now without any further issues Smiley 

give me a shout if there's any more problems

sewer56lol

Just reporting in that it's all good, woke up this morning afternoon, set up a new printer for a family member with whom I wrote and mailed some legal documents due and I did a few tests after I confirmed everything was up and running.

Order on the webpage is complete, the service is fully up and running and I am getting the full down and up sync speed fully clocking in at the maximum intended speeds.

Google and BBC ping in 20ms (which is good/acceptable/standard) since I am in Northern Ireland and the distance to cover the central is pretty decent. Jitter is somewhere <1ms (somewhere around 0.4ms, haven't measured accurately from my router). Surprisingly low number of hops within the network compared to other ISPs I had, the first hop is in fact the full 20ms as I would have guessed (the internal network is pretty fast :O), though that typically gets faster over time (awkwardly I don't see the cabinet/hop near the cabinet in my traceroutes anymore as I used to), and it'll probably drop to 16-14ms in the future as the routing will optimize or hops to the network central will alter (or DLM will adjust if I were to somehow be interleaved though AFAIK I'm not) as I've always had with other ISPs.

In other words it's all up and running perfectly fine and in fast better straight away compared to what I had with other ISPs in the first days out of the box, thanks for your help.