Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password Confusion

FIXED
bathsheba
Dabbler

Password Confusion

Hi, 

I recently joined, and got connected yesterday, and all appears  to be working well so far, apart from slower speed than expected.

However, one nit is the password - to go with the broadband username set in the Hub1 to connect to the internet.

1) I do not know what this is

2) Not sure if I need to know, if it needs changing at some point.

Early on I assumed this might the same password I chose when setting up my plusnet website account and applying for the service.      However I forgot the password I had selected, and support had to change email addresses for me so I could do a password reset on the web account.     This change was after the router was delivered, but before service was connected.

I assumed I would need to change the password in the hub1 to match my new web password, but the router connected itself.

So, it is working, but whatever the password is, i do not know it?

(I have been into the hub to split the wifi bands into 2, and can see where the password is stored but hidden.)

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Password Confusion

The router broadband password is the same as you use to log into your Plusnet account. This is automatically picked up from your account when you first switch on the router, that is why it worked.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @bathsheba

During the first 10 days following activation of your broadband service, you may notice your line speeds can vary. This is normal because your broadband tries to find its most stable connection level. Do report back to us please after the 10 days if you are still experiencing slow speeds.

In terms of the password that goes along with the broadband username, this is the same password as your account password. You will need this password to login to your member centre and might also need it in the future if you had to re-configure the router. The password does not need to be changed if you do not want to however, the 'forgotten your password' link below will help you reset the account password if you wish to do so.

Forgotten your password?

Below is a guide to split the wireless bands:

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4a) To split up the frequencies:
What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

4b) To disable the 5Ghz frequency:
On this page you'' need to turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' followed by turning 'Wireless network enable' to 'No' also. If worked after pressing 'Apply' a wifi red light should appear on the router and the 2.4GHz standard wireless channel still showing available on your devices.

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
bathsheba
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 

Thanks.

bathsheba
Dabbler

Hi @Beyhive 

Thanks for the input.

So, I am comfortable with changing my website password, as have already done that - but - for general security over time, I would probably want to change this at some regular intervals.

So, if I change the website password, do I also need to reconfigure the hub1 to use the new password, before it will reconnect?

(Or will the hub1 somehow pick up the new password?  -  I assume this would not happen, perhaps being a security risk? - or is there something in your network that restricts my userid to only the physical hub I am allocated at any one time?)

Thanks

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Fix

You have 2 choices. First change the password in your account and leave it time to register in the Plusnet system..

1. Log into the router. Disconnect the DSL line either by removing the plug from your router or filter or clicking on the disconnect field in the router (preferred). Change the password in the router then reconnect the DSL line.

2. Simply do a factory reset on the router by pushing a paperclip or similar into the reset hole that you will find on the router. Hold the switch closed for greater than 20 seconds. This will return the router to the setting as originally received from Plusnet. Then sit back and wait whilst it automatically picks up the new settings from your account.

Personally I wouldn't bother changing it. Any-one that wants to steal these details first has to break in to your router so if you're really worried then it's probably the wireless password that you should worry most about, but that's your choice. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'