Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panic!!

FIXED
Delmeister
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Panic!!

Decided to switch from BT, ordered Plusnet Full Fibre one month ago, requested switch over for 7th Feb

Expected router to have arrived by now, nothing yet

Checked order status and it doesn't look like it's anywhere near where it should be to go live on Tuesday (please see attached image)

I have Full Fibre already from BT on OpenReach so it should be a simple swap out of routers, no engineer visit required

Bit of a panic now as both the Mrs and I work from home, and simply can't afford any time without broadband as we have mission critical work and deadlines ... am I right to PANIC?Huh

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.
11 REPLIES 11
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: PANIC!!

Firstly, your BT full fibre should continue until the transfer completes as long as you havent cancelled directly with BT!.

Secondly, FTTP transfers where there is an existing service or ONT seem to be a bit of a mess at the moment. As you say it SHOULD be a matter of a remote switchover by Openreach and a router swap. What seems to be happening is that the system (not sure whether it's Plusnet or Openreach) fails to detect the existing ONT and attempts to order a new ONT. Further down the line this is rejected by Openreach. That's likely whats happened in your case. It needs someone to manually review and place a remote activation order. You could try calling Customer services (Provisioning) and see what is happening OR wait for one of the PN help team to see this thread and check your order...

NB the other 'good' news is that, should the router not arrive prior to switchover, then the BT one can be used with a simple reconfiguration

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Delmeister
Hooked

Thanks for your prompt response MW, much appreciated

So in essence it seems the switchover won't happen in time ... thing is I cancelled directly with BT before I signed with Plusnet as I needed the end date to select start date with Plusnet online ... only way BT would give an end date was if I put in cancellation request

Good to know I can hobble along with the BT router if needed, thanks for that

Will update on progress, need a stiff drink at this rate Smiley

Plusnet are meant to be good with customer support, so I really hope they can help with this urgent issue

Thanks again for your input

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

thing is I cancelled directly with BT before I signed with Plusnet as I needed the end date to select start date with Plusnet online ... only way BT would give an end date was if I put in cancellation request

Ah! That explains it. I'm not entirely sure how it works with FTTP but There will be cease order in the system from BT which will prevent any other ISP placing an order. Once that completes PN will be able to place a remote activation order which should only take a day or two.

Im afraid Rule 1 is never cancel with your existing supplier, just contact the new one to tranfser the service

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Delmeister
Hooked

Understood ... isn't it great how BT don't bother to explain this to you ... also, when I called Plusnet to talk about packages and told them I'm cancelling BT, they didn't explain this

Thanks again MW, much appreciated

Delmeister
Hooked

Fix

SOLUTION

Called BT and asked them to cancel my order to cease all my BT services

This opens the line again, removes the cease on the line preventing Plusnet from taking over

Now my BT service will continue until Plusnet take over the line and send router

Thanks so much MW for your help with this, it means I shouldn't have any interruption of service now

The lesson for any folk out there thinking about switching to Plusnet, DON'T cancel your service directly with your current provider, leave it to Plusnet to request the cease. This way it's a smooth transition without delays.

PANIC OVER!!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That sounds good. Lets hope the system doesn't try to place an order for a new ONT and get rejected. At least your existing service will continue until the correct order is placed though!

Delmeister
Hooked

Yep, all good ... just had text and email confirmation that router is on the way and service will be up and running in a few days ... thankfully no loss of service

Honestly, your info helped me to fix this ... brilliant, thanks for caring

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

No problem, happy to have been able to help. Knowing how stretched the PN staff who monitor the forums are, we try and help if we can. Being customers like you, we have no access to account details and can't see exactly what the issue may be. We can, from our experience of the Openreach & PlusNet systems, make educated guesses and ask appropriate questions...

PS should you need to reuse the BT Hub there's a thread here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/td-p/1795292

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Delmeister 

I assume BT have asked for their router back.

If not it can be used on PlusNet by simply changing the login details on the Admin page.

Brian

Delmeister
Hooked

Well that worked well ... Plusnet router arrived Tuesday 7th (exactly same as BT Hub 2)

No disruption as BT still on while I wait for the switch over ... hopefully it's just a case of swap out routers and log in

Thanks again to all for you kind assistance, greatly appreciated

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm glad to see the router reached you in time and sorry it was "cutting it fine" in terms of timescales! Glad that's all worked out and do shout up if you need any help from us staffers.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team