Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ordering a new BB service but allocate current phone number to VoIP

aks100
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Ordering a new BB service but allocate current phone number to VoIP

Hi,

I am currently on Sky fibre BB plus SoGEA phone (plugs in to Sky router), and contract period is over.

I noticed in this and this thread that it seems 'special' measures are required to join from a SoGEA connection and retain number. However, I would prefer to join PN for Fibre Extra BB only, as I want my phone service and current number via a VoIP provider.

How do I achieve this?

16 REPLIES 16
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: Ordering a new BB service but allocate current phone number to VoIP

We wouldn't be able to support that I'm afraid @aks100.

While we can take over SOGEA lines, through a slightly different process, we don't support VoIP.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
aks100
Grafter

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to sign up for BB with PN, and I would like my current telephone number to be ported to Sipgate. I don't need VoIP from PN, just my long established phone number to be release. Is this possible?

Cheers

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @aks100,

I would recommend contacting Sipgate to see if they would be able to transfer your current number over to them.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
aks100
Grafter

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes Sipgate confirmed they can take my number, not a problem.

Here is the actual problem that I don't understand how to get around:

* Ask Sipgate to take my number from Sky - they confirmed it's possible

* Sky *will* release my number, but * I believe * also terminate my whole service, hence I'll have no broadband either

What I'd like to do is trandfer my broadband to PN, and transfer my phone number out to Sipgate. One possible solution is:

* I transfer phone and BB to PN on a new contract

* Once up and running, I transfer my number only to Sipgate, whilst maintaining my BB with PN

* I want to avoid any downtime if possible

So, will PN allow me to transfer my number out with broadband service disruption?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@aks100  What you are trying to do will not be easy, the only way is to transfer your number to Sipgate from Sky which will cease your Sky services, then order a new FTTC service from Plusnet so there will be a significant gap before you get Broadband again, probably at least 10 working days. You also need to check there is availability at your cabinet so you don't lose your FTTC cab connection. If there is a waiting list someone else may get it.

There actually is a way to do this through Openreach or BT Wholesale (not sure which) called something like number port with renumber but I don't think Plusnet use it. This would port your existing number and give your line a new one.

aks100
Grafter

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

There actually is a way to do this through Openreach or BT Wholesale (not sure which) called something like number port with renumber but I don't think Plusnet use it. This would port your existing number and give your line a new one.

This would be ideal, if possible 😀.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@aks100  But as I said I don't believe Plusnet can do it either because they don't know it exists or more likely it is not supported by their archaic ordering system.🙁

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

AFAIK there is only one ISP who will order a 'renumber with number export', that is ,A & A , and they will only do it to port the number to their Voip product

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Would an option be to order a new line with broadband, and once up and running, transfer your existing number to a VoIP provider cancelling Sky in the process? It might cost a bit more (£49.99 for a new line plus a short time of paying for both lines), but could be the safest?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aks100
Grafter

Yes, I think the only safe way is tthe second line option, which seems ridculous.

However, I decided to keep it simple and sign [back] up with Plusnet for Fibre Extra BB and phone with anytime calls.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.

aks100
Grafter

Porting number from Sky SoGEA to Plusnet (number invalid)

Hi support team,

I received a notifiction that my number is invalid - but it is in fact active and working fine. It is however on a Sky SoGEA (ATA connection on the router), and I read in this thread that you need to take additional steps to port the number from Sky.

I have updated ticket #217192200, but have not received any confirmation that my number will be ported successfully. I certainly hope it can be!

Cheers

Tags (3)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Porting number from Sky SoGEA to Plusnet (number invalid)

Moderators Note

Topics from same OP merged to keep all info in one place.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @aks100

Looks like our Provisioning Team have picked this up today and an order has been placed to take over the working line, while retaining the number. I've checked up on the orders and both phone and broadband haven't matched up together just yet, though this can take 24-58 hours. Our prov team will monitor the open Ticket and will advise you on any updates on the open ticket.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
aks100
Grafter

That's great, thanks Adam!