Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Order Cancelled For Some Reason

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Order Cancelled For Some Reason

Yep, the order completed a lot quicker than anticipated. 

I've now placed an order to provide fibre broadband on the line and we'll confirm your activation date shortly.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Oliver, I can confirm your fibre service is due to go live on the 31st January. Apologies for the long delay with this, unfortunately it looks like there's high demand as this would be due to fibre-trained engineer availability.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
oliverwilko
Dabbler

Seriously? But I had an appointment booked in with a technician for tomorrow am that got cancelled. This is getting a little ridiculous now. I ordered this on 4th January and a payment was taken. I'm now told that I won't get the service I've paid for and been promised until 27 days later? That doesn't seem fair at all. I require broadband to make a living and am currently losing income as a result of this.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @oliverwilko 

I cancelled the order booked for tomorrow, because that was at the wrong address. The engineer wouldn't have been able to complete the job when they go out due to the differing address, a likely outcome would've been a request for us to cancel the order and re-place it as I had done earlier on today which would've delayed things further.

If we had been provided the correct address in the first instance we'd have been able to activate your services only a couple of days sooner, because the current provider of your line ceased the services they were providing on the 13th January.

While that cease order was in progress we wouldn't have been able to takeover the line, because a working line takeover order bears a minimum time frame of 10 working days set down by regulation and between when you signed up and the 13th is less than 10 working days so the line would be ceased before we got a chance to take it over.

[edit]

I do sincerely apologise again for the inconvenience this causes, when you're up and running we'd be happy to discuss a fair and proportionate gesture of goodwill.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
oliverwilko
Dabbler

But why cancel the engineer when it's in exactly the same building? I am at that address, its just I also gave you a flat number over the weekend to add to the address. Surely that engineer would still have been able to install? Or, why not divert the engineer to the address, like you've done with the router, rather than cancel it completely only to reorder another technician two weeks from now? Now I'm left paying for a service I'm not receiving, while also left entirely without broadband for a total of just 3 days shy of a month. I'm curious, tell me, what would you do in my situation? Wait until 1st February and continue to lose money? Surely you'd start exploring other options...
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @oliverwilko 

I'm afraid when there's an in-flight order we can't amend the address until after the order completes, so to change the address I had to cancel the order and re-order it. Frustrating but unfortunately that's the way it is. Sad

While I appreciate the engineer may have been able to physically go to your address by finding it out when they rang you on the day, they wouldn't have been able to fulfill the order at your address when their job says a different address.

With regards to your router this is handled by a totally different system and I actually didn't change the address on the router order, I just ordered a second router to ensure that you'd definitely have at least one.

If I was personally in your situation I'd have taken the same steps, because I know that's the best way to avoid any further unnecessary delay and knowing what I know I'd simply have to wait it out.

I appreciate though that it's easier for me to say this as I know how the systems and processes work, if I was in your position likely* not working for an ISP or even before I started working here, I'd probably be asking the same questions you are. *I'm saying likely because for all I know you may be working for one.

On the note of being in your position, if there was possibly a quicker way to get up and running from this point on I'd want to know, so I'll offer this. We can submit an expedite request to our suppliers but this comes at a cost of £196+VAT.

We don't normally offer this because expedites aren't guaranteed as they're still ultimately based on engineer availability and also upon occasion they can get stuck in the system and cause further issues and delays.

Whether I'd accept the risk if I were in your position would depend on what I'd lose without broadband.

I can arrange this if this is something you'd want us to do. Again I'm only offering this as I want to give you all the options so you can make an informed and calculated decision. Undecided

I hope this helps.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
oliverwilko
Dabbler

I can't afford that, so regrettably, I'll just wait. Do I have to be in on 31st January? And what do I do with my router if it arrives before then? Do you use dpd? I've got a note to say I've missed a delivery from them today.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I may be wrong but there aren't many instances at least I can see where the cost of an expedite is worth it unless you're running a business and there's risk of greater financial losses.

You won't need to be home on the 31st as the engineer will be able to carry out the work externally, so that's a bit of good news. 

Our routers are sent via Royal Mail 1st class post so it's likely the sorry we missed you card you've got from DPD is for something else. 

Fingers crossed all goes well on the day, these situations are frustrating for us too as we want to get you up and running asap.

[edit]

Once you've got your router we'll email and text you on the day that your broadband is live for you to set up the router. Let us know how it goes. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
oliverwilko
Dabbler

I also have a royal mail missed delivery note, which I assume is for the router. What should I do once I receive my router?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'd just put it aside until we've confirmed your broadband is ready to go then setup the router into your master telephone socket. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
oliverwilko
Dabbler

Okay I've now got my router. How do I go about getting compensation / a refund on the month for which I've paid to have Internet and not had it?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We're happy to discuss a fair and proportionate gesture of goodwill once you're up and running.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
oliverwilko
Dabbler

Okay, will message again on 1st Feb to arrange compensation. I've also now received a second router - what should I do with this? If I have to send it back, is there a way for you to arrange collection or a free return postage stamp?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, I've ordered returns bag now you'll receive soon and once you're up and running we'll be happy to offer you a fair and proportionate for any errors or delays we may have made.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
oliverwilko
Dabbler

Hi,

I am now connected to the internet - thank you. Can we please now discuss the compensation owed as a result of paying for broadband yet not having any access for a month?

Many thanks,

Oliver