Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On My Way Back

FIXED
VinceMarsters
Grafter
Fixes: 1

On My Way Back

After a few (quite a few to be honest) years away with Xilo and then BT (for BTTV only), I am heading back into Plusnet again and looking forwards to joining in with the community (was a Plusnet User Group member back in the day and remember fondly one of the open days in Sheffield in 2007/2008 I think it was).

Now I have my introduction out of the way - time for a question. My phone and broadband migration is due in a weeks time. I have had emails about the phone line transfer but nothing specific about the FTTC migration. Can one of the PN reps confirm if my migration is on track please? I could do without any real length downtime if possible (I know if will drop at some point and at that point I need to swap out my router) and have never done a phone migration before. Also how long before the due date is the router usually delivered? I am torn between using the PN router or fitting my old TP-Link Archer VR2600 as that is reasonably high spec (bought when BT introduced the SmartHub6 and my wifi performance deteriorated).

14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: On My Way Back

Welcome back.

If you bought the Archer as you weren't happy with the performance of a Smarthub 6 then stick with the Archer. The Plusnet Hub One is a Home Hub 5A with tweeked firmware. Several on here ditch these in favour of a Smarthub to get the better wifi performance.

As an aside many of the wifi issues with both these devices is due to the 2.4 and 5GHz bands being synced by default. Separating them has cured many a complaint,

Plusnet send out routers a couple of days before the go live date.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

VinceMarsters
Grafter

Cheers and hoping things are going to be as good for me this time as they were last time.

I got the SH6 for the better wifi but when it was brand new, the wifi was actually worse than the wifi on my older HH5b. I have since reverted back to the SH6 as the newer firmware resolved the issues I was seeing with wifi (and yes I have always split the channels and turned off the smart setup). I can't actually remember why I tried the SH6 again in favour of the Archer tbh - knowing me it was just because I wondered if BT had sorted things out.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If you're using the HH6 then I'd stick with it, it's just a case of manually inputting your PN Username and Password.into the advanced settings on the day.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Fix

Hi @VinceMarsters,

It'll be great to have you back!

I'm sorry if the information has been a little lacking I have created a ticket for you here

In regards to which router would be best it is completely down to your preference but it doesn't hurt to use ours as a fall back if you are happy with your TP-Link Archer VR2600.

Please feel free to give any of us a shout if you need anything further.

Thanks.

VinceMarsters
Grafter

Thanks @OllieC. I saw the ticket earlier and wil make a decision on the router later this week.

VinceMarsters
Grafter

Well my BT connection dropped at 4am this morning (annoyingly this resulted in my wifi bedroom light turning on). Since I have the Plusnet router, I swapped it out at 4.30 and it reconfigured itself with my Plusnet username (and I assume password). Now just to wait for all the planets (systems on BT and Plusnet sides) to come in line and allow the router to connect...

I will probably be moving away from the Plusnet router though as my sync speed has dropped from 80Mb (I am about 50m from the cabinet at most) with the BT SmartHub or TPLink Archer to 68Mb with the Plusnet One Hub. My initial priority will be to get a connection though so I will be leaving the Plusnet router in until this is up and running.

VinceMarsters
Grafter

And as if by magic, the planets aligned and my broadband is up. I will be leaving the Plusnet router in for a while to see how it performs in use and to give me a baseline of what I get on this line with Plusnet.

Thanks for the advice and assistance everyone.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Welcome back to Plusnet! Cheesy

Sorry about the delay between your line transferring and your account activating on our side.

Let us know if you have any queries or issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
VinceMarsters
Grafter

No problem with the delay - I was mmore surprised that it dropped so early as I was expecting it to be during the day rather than early morning. If I hadn't been getting up at 5 for work, it is possible that I may not have noticed until much later and it would have worked immediately for me. In the end the line was down for about 3.5 hours - I was really expecting it to be nearer 8-10 hours as I have had that in the past.

VinceMarsters
Grafter

I tried the TP-Link Archer today and although I got a slight increase in sync (from 69Mb to 71Mb), I now remember why I stopped using it - webpages just take ages to load and often need to be refreshed a couple of times before they work. It all seems to be DNS related as once the site is loaded once, navigating around tends to be much quicker. I have tried using local (Synology NAS), router and direct internet (Cloudfire and Google) DNS servers on client devices and it made no difference. As soon as I put the Plusnet One Hub back in, pages started loading quickly again. I have the latest firmware (last updates in May 2016) and can't see anything specific that would cause problems but will just use the PN One Hub whilst I investigate decent alternatives.

dieselglider
Rising Star

I've just returned to Plusnet too, after 8 years elsewhere, and so far all has gone smoothly. Smiley

Regarding the sync drop, it's probably G.INP being utilised to stabilise your new connection.  My Max Data Rate dropped too, as well as my ping rising by about 8ms.  All being well, a stable connection should see both automatically rectify in the near future.

VinceMarsters
Grafter

@dieselglider Thats about the time I have been away I think. This is the second migration I have done since FTTC - first from Xilo/Uno to BT and now BT to PN. In the first one my sync speed stayed exacly the same (79999/19999) so I expected the same again this time really. Will give it a while though to see if things settle down (or settle up Wink ).

I have been pleasantly surprised how well things have gone really as I exepcted more issues with a phone and BB migration, but it appears everything phone wise went quickly and in the middle of the night too.

Have found one other problem since though - and all my fault - I forgot to download the couple of movies I had on my BTTV account. If I had remembered whilst it was still active then I could get them but now the service has been trashed, they are gone. A bit of a wake up about digital media ownership when it is streamed....

VinceMarsters
Grafter

My sync has gone back up today to 79903 (not going to quibble over the missing 96 Wink ). Just need the Plusnet profile to follow suit now as it is on 66.6Mb now and I will be back to full speed.

Hopefully yours has either followed or will do shortly too.

dieselglider
Rising Star

Yep, I had a re-sync yesterday morning, Max rate now up around 77Mbps, which doesn't really matter since I'm on a 40/10 product, although when with BT it was up at 82Mbps, so maybe another step to go.  My ping though has dropped down again to 28ms again, which is good.  Also thought I seen some congestion the other night, so I'll keep an eye on that.