Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number in use - staff please check

FIXED
act123
Grafter

Number in use - staff please check

I applied for phone and broadband today having cancelled my order last week due to the delay from a number validation issue.  I checked and Gandalf confirmed I could reapply any time (see recent thread).  

I've done this today and an error has been thrown up - see ticket 180004013 - as my number is in use, presumably on my previous application.  

Could you please monitor this issue to ensure it's resolved promptly (along with any subsequent number validation issue).  I also want to ensure I still get the £50 cashback I'm entitled to by applying today.  

If not, I guess I can always cancel and just stay where I am, but I'd rather come to Plusnet if things can get sorted.

Many thanks.   

17 REPLIES 17
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Number in use - staff please check

Hi there.

I'm getting this picked up for you and I'll update the account shortly

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
act123
Grafter

Thanks for your input so far, things seem to be moving forward.  

I've had an email giving a phone transfer date of 14 August and one giving a broadband live date of 15 August.

Do these dates not need to be the same so I'm only without broadband for a couple of hours?  That's how transfers have gone in the past.  

Many thanks again.  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @act123

I've checked your order and everything looks OK to complete on the 14th August.

Apologies for the confusion regarding the broadband live date you've received, the email refers to the activation being 15th August 00:00:00 which is essentially 14th August by 23:59:59 minus 1 second.

Let us know how it goes on the day and if you have any further queries or issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
act123
Grafter

Thanks.  

The wording is:

Your service is due to go live on 15/08/2018. Your order could complete any time on this date, up to midnight.

which definitely gives the impression of some time on the 15th - maybe Plusnet should take a look at its email templates.  

act123
Grafter

Re the activation date, ticket 378456214 says

The activation will complete by midnight on 15/08/2018. 

which definitely suggests a date of 15th rather than 14th.  

I really don't want to be without broadband for a day or more if that turns out to be the case with the phone line moving on the 14th - ticket 378375478

@Gandalf, I appreciate you've said everything looks ok for the 14th, so presumably you can see actions and dates that I can't, but please confirm.  

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for the feedback, the implication is that it can complete at any time up until midnight on the given date but that obviously pushes it into displaying the next day. - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

This is a confusion arising for colloquial understanding of ‘midnight’.

Most people understand ‘midnight to be the end of the day, whereas if fact is is really the beginning of the day - 00:00:00 on the specified date as explained above.

The advice is pedantically correct but colloquially misunderstood. From experience, the broadband is reported by BTOR to BTw as being active within 4 hours of the end of the shift in which the work was done. BTw then advise Plusnet that the service has been commissioned after which Plusnet need to activate the account.

Given that the latest the installation work is going to be completed is circa 18:00 the service should be active not later than 00:00:00 the next day.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

act123
Grafter

We have now reached the activation date and phone has gone live but not broadband and I've had an email from you that says:

Because your broadband and home phone were activated at different times, we'll give you a discount off your second month's bill.

So when is broadband going to go live?  I did flag up what looked like different dates but was assured it would all happen on the 14th (today).  Your email suggests otherwise.  

Please confirm when broadband will go live and if not today what has gone wrong  - and if today why I got the email.  

Thanks (sent using mobile)

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @act123

I am sorry for the confusion caused by the communications today.

As @Gandalf advised earlier in the thread, The order has been double checked and everything still shows as completing today.

This is anywhere up to midnight and I do understand this may appear confusing when the communication comes through advising "Your service is due to go live on 15/08/2018"

If you have any further questions please get in touch.

act123
Grafter

Thanks for your reply @Warwick

As mentioned above, my concern was raised again because of the Plusnet email received today that said "Because your broadband and home phone were activated at different times, we'll give you a discount off your second month's bill".

I can't believe there will be an adjustment if the activations are a few hours apart on the same day? 

Satss
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 37

Hi @act123

The email you are referring to is generated by our automated systems and is sent to notify customers that if there is a delay between your broadband and phone installation that a refund will be processed for the downtime.

However, if there was a matter of hours between the activation of your phone and broadband a refund would not be required.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Kind Regards,

act123
Grafter

Hi @Warwick@Gandalf

It is now 15 August and broadband is still not active.  

Please explain why all the staff on here kept telling me it would be live on the 14th when it isn't, as well as when it will actually go live (hopefully in the form of a time rather than just saying by 'midnight tonight'). 

This is so infuriating given you said the email saying the 15th really meant the 14th and it didn't happen.  I would have cancelled in the cooling-off period had I known to avoid over a day without internet (and counting).  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear that.

From what I can see your order completed with our suppliers on 14/08/2018 18:15:05 but we've been slow in activating your account on this occasion.

I've done this for you now. Can you confirm you're able to connect?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
act123
Grafter

@Gandalf

Yes, all working now thank you.  

Given I'd been on this forum chasing activation and I'd rung as well, why did it still not get activated as it should have done?  It seems to me with Plusnet if you don't chase for something it doesn't get done and that's not the way to run any business.