Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not a great start!

FIXED
adam1966
Dabbler

Not a great start!

I'm switching over from BT Infinity to Plusnet today (10/03) Got an email saying my router has been dispatched (yesterday), and will be with me in 3-5 working days. It might arrive later today, or might not get here till next week sometime. Either way, I'm now without internet. I still have my BT hub, so maybe I can use that in the meantime? Like the title says...not a great start!

18 REPLIES 18
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Not a great start!

Fix

The good news is that you can use your BT hub https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Bt-hh-5-trying-to-use-on-plusnet/m-p/1...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adam1966
Dabbler

Thank MisterW. Turns out that my landline has been switched to plusnet, but they haven't started my internet service yet (according to the recorded message when I called them). So will try with the BT HH5 when the plusnet service starts (soon hopefully). Thank goodness for personal hotspots! lol. Thanks again MisterW Smiley

musselburh1715

If you have the same problems as me change broadband provider while you can if not look forward to being without broadband for 5 weeks only to be told that what you ordered is not available but for another £8 a month (ransom) you will not get any at all. waited in three days for an engineer no response until I rang.be prepared to wait hours on the phone unless you want to upgrade or buy a new service then the response is immediate.I have just waited 3 hours on phone last night and today to get my bill corrected. the list is endless.OH they blame their suppliers for everything never themselves

Funk
Grafter

I'm in the same boat; although I have already received my PN router I plan to continue to use the superior BT SmartHub (unofficially the 'HH6').  My BT Infinity line went off at 4am this morning and I had the messages saying my line has moved.  Just waiting for the fibre to move across, hoping it doesn't take too long to provision.

The one thing I wished the SmartHub offered is the ability to define the DNS - I would rather use Google's than BT's or, shortly, PN's.

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes for the switch over to happen?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you guys gone for Fibre Extra or the standard Fibre? If the latter are you aware of the upload speed on the cheap option?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Funk
Grafter

I've gone for the Fibre Extra, specifically for the greater upload speed.

adam1966
Dabbler

I've gone for fibre extra. It should be the same speed as my BT Infinity. 

adam1966
Dabbler

All up and running on my BT HH5 router (thanks MisterW). Plusnet router still hasn't turned up Angry, which as the title of this thread reads "Not a great start" still stands. Speed is exactly the same as my BT Infinity fibre, so that's good considering the difference in price!  Over 2 weeks since the initial order should be enough time to get me a router. Hopefully no more problems with PN. Thanks for all the replies Smiley

adam1966
Dabbler

Update: The router STILL hasn't arrived. Finally managed to get through to customer services, to be told "It seems not to have been delivered" really?! He said they are sending a router out now 1st class. When I asked when I should expect it "3 to 5 working days" So that could be next week. Thanks to my three mobile personal hotspot, and the good people on this MB, I was able to adjust my BT router to use, but that was no mean feat! In conclusion, start of my plusnet contract, and I'm already deeply regretting it. I'm guessing it's too late for me to back out now?

Funk
Grafter

It's a shame it's not gone as smoothly for you as it did for me; I was going to offer to send you my Plusnet router but then saw you've managed to get up and running on the BT one (which I've done as well - the newer BT Smarthub is a much better device than the HH5 plut it's retained all my port mapping and routing etc which was convenient).  If you're on a BT Smarthub too I would recommend keeping that in use even when your PN router arrives.

I've read a few of the negative threads on here about '..how PN have gone downhill..' etc but my experience has been seamless and so far I have no regrets.

adam1966
Dabbler

Aww, that's VERY kind of you Funk!! It's good to hear that the Plusnet hub is a good one. I was a bit worried about that. And yes, I'll be keeping the BT HH5 as a sub in case it's needed. Thank you! Smiley

Funk
Grafter

Apologies, I meant the BT Smart Hub is better than the Plusnet Hub One (which is just a rebadged HomeHub 5).  The PN One router isn't bad, the newer BT Smart Hub is just better (mainly the wireless performance which is superb).

PN One and BT HH5:

25302316380_81e78e3739_k

BT Smart Hub:

bt-smart-hub-6-136406857196002601.jpg

adam1966
Dabbler

Haha...yes I realised I misunderstood your post after I posted my reply. Yes I've heard good things about the smarthub, and I did think about getting it, but wireless is not really an issue for me. The plusnet (re-badged hh5) should be ok for me in my flat. Shame the PN router is a bit ugly though lol.

Funk
Grafter

The PN Hub One is very white....!