cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No broadband activation

twinstripe

No broadband activation

My broadband was due to be activated yesterday (along with my phone, which was) but so far I've not received a notification that it's activated. Just in case it got missed, I tried connecting using the details provided on my own router and it's reporting that it can't see a PPP server.

I've had to come into the office to post this as I need internet to be able to work from home.

It also doesn't help that my first expected billing date is 3 days from now, which is a bit off considering I still haven't received the service I'll be billed for, the support hours have been changed so that they exactly match my working hours, I can't use the phone at work because I need to offer telephone support for my job and even if I were to be able to use the phone during my lunch hour, it'd be pointless as the telephone queues are over an hour long!

So what's the deal here - do I have to wait for 3-6 months while I get billed for something I don't have and that I have no way to get fixed?

3 REPLIES 3
diabolo

Re: No broadband activation

I fear that this is the norm.

I signed up to the ADSL broadband and line rental package back in March. 

The landline was activated on 17th March and the connected phones work but broadband doesn't.

The supplied Sagemcom 2704N broadband router is one of the most severely crippled routers I have seen from ISPs as it doesn't even display connected wired devices or allow you to manually set their IP addresses which is vital for port forwarding and setting up network printers.

twinstripe

That's appalling, especially considering that (as long as the phone line is activated and working) enabling it doesn't require access to your home (so they can't blame it on the block on Openreach engineers attending customer premises). Most of it's configured at the exchange end, occasionally at the green cabinet and very, very rarely they may need to run a test from the access point closest to your home.

As for the modem, I personally wouldn't touch anything provided by an ISP (bad experiences with Sky and BT HomeHubs and over a decade as a Network Engineer taught me that).

In most instances, you can use the details they provide and set them up yourself (or in the case of BT, EVERYONE gets the same details, so you can look it up online). I've learned to understand what the logs tell me, and (at least in my instance), they've simply not activated the service for my line at all.

Shocking that they don't even have any other way of logging support queries right now other than waiting for hours on a telephone line that never gets answered (as I've said, I work in support and ALL of our calls get answered or responded to within 5 minutes, period).

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @twinstripe,

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience that this fault is causing you and for the delay in picking up your post on here. I've looked into this now and have added an update to the fault ticket here

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team