cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user - VERY Disappointed with Plusnet...

AdamDeary
Hooked

New user - VERY Disappointed with Plusnet...

After having been given a 'go live' date of 15th December, my existing provider service was terminated. Hadn't received the router promised by Plusnet and then received an email saying it will be dispatched 16th December and will be received in 3-5 days!!! How on earth do Plusnet expect users to connected to the service without even having a router??? I called for help and the engineer advised there was no way I'd have the router in 3-5 days, as they use Royal Mail and we are past the guaranteed pre-Christmas delivery date. So I'm looking at having no internet until after Christmas, potentially. I work from home, so that's not possible, and all our streaming services, smart appliances, etc, are degraded or out of action. I haven't been offered any refund, compensation, nothing. Absolutely disgraceful and if I don't hear from them shortly (I have raised a formal complaint), I will definitely be leaving them for another provider as soon as possible. Broadband to make your proud is Plusnet's boast - I'm not feeling it at the moment....

15 REPLIES 15
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: New user - VERY Disappointed with Plusnet...

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@AdamDeary  who was your previous provider ? if it was BT or Johnlewis then your existing router can very likely be reused

The routers are sent first class and so should really arrive within a day or two.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AdamDeary
Hooked

Yeah thanks, I tried that but TalkTalk router is locked out. Would have been a lot easier if Plusnet dispatched and delivered routers BEFORE go live dates. It's almost like they're brand new to this business... Like I said, I'm expecting compensation to be offered for the disruption and distress caused or I definitely will be switching to a more caring provider.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@AdamDeary 

The questions are, did you cancel your previous service or did you leave it to Plusnet? You should have left it to Plusnet. The second question has to be whether you have had confirmation that the service has indeed gone live or whether it has been delayed due to Openreach engineer availability on the programmed date, which is a constant cause of delays? Do you have an active telephone?

If the service is actually live then I would be tempted to buy a cheap third party VDSL modem/router and seek to recover the cost from Plusnet. Alternatively if you can borrow a Plusnet hub one or BT Home Hub 5 or 6 these can be set up to work. Setting instructions are pinned at the top of the Router board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

AdamDeary
Hooked

I left it all to Plusnet... Yes, I had confirmation the service is live. The only issue is I have no router!!! Plusnet could've couriered one to me by now and problem will be solved. When you say "Setting instructions are pinned at the top of the Router board" what do you mean exactly? I will try to get a plus net or bt hub.
Baldrick1

@AdamDeary 

Just click on this link. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

The setting procedure is basically the same for all these hubs. Many of us use a Smarthub 6 because they are cheap from auction sites, are more stable and have better wifi performance than the Plusnet Hub One, which under the garish case is an old Home Hub 5a with tweeked firmware.  The important thing to note is that you must disconnect the dsl lead whilst inputting your plusnet user name and password.

Moderator and Customer

Tallowhand
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Adam, thanks for your time today.

As discussed, if you can let me know if you've been able to get that router you found and I'll try to arrange for one of my colleagues to call you tonight to get it set up.

Tony Hills
 Plusnet Help Team
AdamDeary
Hooked

Cheers. I have the BT hub, all plugged in and configured, but seems to reporting no connection to the internet...
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @AdamDeary I'm sorry for the issues you've had.

From what I can see your router's trying to connect to the internet using the wrong password. Depending on the model of BT router you've got, the process may be slightly different but as a rough (or exact) guide I'd recommend going through the steps explained in this post Here to manually setup the router.

The important part is to make sure the Broadband or PPP password you're using is your account password. If you can't remember the password, that can be reset here: https://www.plus.net/forgotpassword/

Let us know how you get on Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1

@AdamDeary 

Have you got a Home Hub 5 or Smarthub? Earlier models are ADSL only.

Have you got a special character in your password? If so then go into your Plusnet account and change it to alpha numeric ones. Ignore any messages about special ones. Some versions of firmware con't like any special characters. Soon after the hub is connected the firmware will be updated and this restriction should be removed.

Moderator and Customer

AdamDeary
Hooked

Okay Plusnet... So I purchased the BT Homehub yesterday as suggested, didn't work. Your agent suggested there was a problem with the router. The Plusnet router arrived today, followed the setup instructions to the letter, light still hasn't turned blue and I have no access to the internet still. This whole experience is going from bad to worse. Have been waiting on the phone for 30 minutes now waiting for an engineer and it looks like I will be spending another evening sat on the phone with no internet. I am still unable to work from home and the whole Plusnet experience has been absolutely dreadful so far....
AdamDeary
Hooked

SUCCESS!!!! After giving up waiting on the phone, and random button pressing on the router, I eventually got a blue light and now have internet. To be fair to Plusnet I had a couple of missed calls from them whilst about the house resetting devices, so at least they were responding to these posts and trying to help. Still calming down from the experience so will wait till after Christmas to decide if I stay with Plusnet or look elsewhere. Thanks to all the Plusnet employees who did try and help, all were courteous and professional, it was their systems that were the problem not them. Sorry if I was grumpy with any of you. I am £50 out of pocket for the BT router that didn't work, and 2 days behind on my work, but at least I now have internet!!! Merry Christmas everybody!!!
Baldrick1

@AdamDeary 

I'm glad that you are now connected. Once things have settled down if you find that your Hub One isn't all that you hoped it would be then depending on which model of very expensive BT hub you have bought you should find that if it is a Smarthub that it will give you better performance.

Should this be the case then just come back here if you want help setting it up.

Moderator and Customer

Johnnyboy1

me too ,I fear I’m going to have the same problem  I was told my go live date wold be today ,the BT line was Installed on Wednesday .....my phone line is now dead and I’m still waiting for my router.......not impressed at all ,and trying to speak to anyone is frankly garbage