cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New plusnet customer. Do I need to notify BT?

FIXED
christianpjones
Rising Star

New plusnet customer. Do I need to notify BT?

Hello,

I've just signed up to the plusnet Unlimited Fibre package with a requested switch date of 1/6/18. This was the contract end date given to me by BT.

Do I need to contact BT to tell them that I'm switching to plusnet or will plusnet do that for me as part of the switching process?

Thanks. Smiley

22 REPLIES 22
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: New plusnet customer. Do I need to notify BT?

Fix

Plusnet contact your old supplier for you (indirectly by issuing an order to take off the phone line and broadband which BT will see and take as proof you are leaving)

DO NOT contact BT to tell them you have signed up with another company as it will just likely confuse things.

Plusnet have the responsibility to ensure that you are switched across.  And you can blame Plusnet if anything goes wrong.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
christianpjones
Rising Star

Thank you. Smiley

I thought that might be the case. The reason I asked is because I had a live chat session with BT earlier in which they reluctantly gave me the contract end date I mentioned in my post. They told me that in order to switch I had to contact their "cancellation team." The number they provided for this team was the same as the one for BT sales... 

Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

The 'cancellation team' will just be retentions where they'll try to get you to sign a new contract with some special (and probably limited time) offer.

Like said above don't contact BT. Often doing so will mess up the order because then they'll cease the line then Plusnet will have to wait for the line to stop before putting their service on-likely leaving you without internet for a week or more since pnet wouldn't be able to do anything with the BT order.
christianpjones
Rising Star

@Kdog wrote:
The 'cancellation team' will just be retentions where they'll try to get you to sign a new contract with some special (and probably limited time) offer.

Exactly what I thought when they gave me the number. To be expected, I suppose, but it's just another addition to an ever-growing list of reasons why I want to move away from BT. 

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@christianpjones

Just one last word on this subject.

If I was you, I would chase Plusnet in one week's time to get them to confirm the dates that the work will be done to switch you across. 

Why?

Because the dates depend on the availability of Openreach staff to switch your line across and can move due to staff constraints. And sometimes Plusnet do not notify the customer of such an issue.

The good news is that BT shouldn't turn off your connection to them as they will also be told of the issue and keep you live with them until the actual switch over day.

But for peace of mind, you might wish to get Plusnet to confirm to you the confirmed switch over dates they have received from Openreach.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
christianpjones
Rising Star

@SpendLessTime wrote:

@christianpjones

Just one last word on this subject.

If I was you, I would chase Plusnet in one week's time to get them to confirm the dates that the work will be done to switch you across. 

Why?

Because the dates depend on the availability of Openreach staff to switch your line across and can move due to staff constraints. And sometimes Plusnet do not notify the customer of such an issue.

The good news is that BT shouldn't turn off your connection to them as they will also be told of the issue and keep you live with them until the actual switch over day.

But for peace of mind, you might wish to get Plusnet to confirm to you the confirmed switch over dates they have received from Openreach.

Very good advice. Thank you. Smiley

This morning I've had a text and an email from plusnet and an email from BT confirming the switch date. I'll ask plusnet for reconfirmation next week.

Kdog
Aspiring Pro

To be fair the idea of a retentions team doesn't bother me. All companies have them and I'd be more worried if there wasn't an attempt to retain custoners. What bugs me is when it's put forward in a misleading way like this-saying you have to contact cancellations when they know full well you don't. It's things like this that cause problems when someone does go through the cancellation process and then the new providers order gets messed up, and of course the old provider washes they're hands of it. And then people who don't know the industry then end up angry with the new provider when there's nothing they can do.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Welcome to our community forums @christianpjones

As people have said you don't need to contact your current provider, our order we've placed with Openreach should notify them that you're leaving.

Let us know if you have any further queries.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
christianpjones
Rising Star

Thanks, everyone. Smiley

I wrote a reply yesterday but it's disappeared. Undecided

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@christianpjones your post was stuck in the spam filter. I have now released it.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
christianpjones
Rising Star

With my migration date now just four days away I'm wondering if I should have had a more recent update from Plusnet. My order status has been like this since the 9th of May (almost three weeks ago):

1.jpg

My router has arrived so maybe I'm worrying about nothing...

Kdog
Aspiring Pro

If the router has arrived then that would suggest the order is still in progress and I wouldn't worry. If there's been any delays pnet should have messaged you to let you know-might be worth checking the member centre for any open tickets on the account or giving them a shout to check if you're worried but if pnet have already given you switch dates and the hardware then that's all they'd need to contact you about until you go live unless you needed an engineer install-which you won't since you're coming from BT.

Radio silence is usually good as that suggests there have been no updates on the order since the dates were confirmed to trigger any follow up contact and the order is just counting down.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

If there are gaps in communication it tends to look like no router delivery by the anticipated switch date. There are some circumstances where a deferral from BTOR / BTw does defer the router delivery ... but no communication gets sent to the customer.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

christianpjones
Rising Star

Thanks, both. Smiley

So if the router has been delivered then it looks like everything is on track.