cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New install question

bighairyal

New install question

Morning all,

Moving to a new house which has a BT cable fed through a hole drilled into a very old rotten door frame, but no master socket attached to it - so I've paid the £49.99 new install fee.

However, we are getting the doors and windows replaced BEFORE your BT engineer is going to visit. We are going to have to pull the BT cable out of the old door frame. Will it be acceptable to do this, and neatly coil it up on the outside of the property for the engineer to work on - or are we at risk of some enormous fine for doing so?

Cheers,

Alan 

7 REPLIES 7
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: New install question

Only the Courts can impose fines; what you propose is fine assuming BT/GPO junction box remains inside the property.
bighairyal

Cheers Gel.

Is the junction box the matchbox sized thing with a single screw though the middle? If yes, it's on the inside of the door frame. I'll have to get the window fitters to make sure it ends up freed in one piece!

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sounds like it - I think so (but don't take my word for it I could be wrong).
My parents have one by their front door - I don't seem to have one in my property (well if I do I haven't found it!).

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

I fitted Master Socket myself years back, and Openreach Engineers have been several times over the years and

never commented. Easily obtainable via well known auction site, but you'll get one as part of your installation charge.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Alan,

I'd imagine that to be fine. Having a looksies into your account, we've been advised by our suppliers that no appointment to your property is required as they believe you already have the required equipment.

As you don't have a master socket, I've contacted Openreach just to make sure the visit goes ahead as planned.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bighairyal

Thanks Anoush.
However, in the past several days I've had a veritable flood of texts and emails regarding my order. I believe I've now been reminded about my install date 6 times.
Most concerning though is question 154843351, opened and closed by yourselves today - which tells me that you don't need access to my house to install the service. You most certainly do - all we have is a cable hanging from a door frame, with no master socket attached.
Can I now assume that someone will visit? All these conflicting messages are not painting a reassuring picture.
Alan
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

It looks like that ticket was just a delayed notification, apologies for that. I picked up your account yesterday after the notification was received from our suppliers but before the notification was sent to you.

In short, the appointment is going ahead for the same timeslot.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet