cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre customer cannot connect

KBLFC
Hooked

New fibre customer cannot connect

Hi, I recently signed up to Plusnet and my day of activation is today, I received a text and a email saying my broadband was active, but my router light stays orange and the red broadband light flickers, I don’t know if I have to wait till midnight or its something more sinister
Tags (3)
11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: New fibre customer cannot connect

It can be overnight before it activates. If you log into your router by putting the address 192.168.1.254 into the address (not search) field of your web browser you should be able to see if the link to the fibre cabinet is up. If that shows that you are in sync with a declared upload and download speed then this confirms that Openreach have done their bit but Plusnet have yet to activate your account. Either way if there is no joy by the morning you will need to contact Plusnet.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

KBLFC
Hooked

I went to 192.168.1.254 and I couldn’t really tell what I was looking at, I have a really bad feeling it’s my master socket broken since this is a new place, and I do t have a phone to test it
Baldrick1

If it's a fairly modern master socket the front section should be removeable. You may need to remove two screws. This should pull off exposing the test socket. Use this with the filter.

When you say that you can't tell what you're looking at have you seen this guide? https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/

Moderator and Customer

KBLFC
Hooked

I have already removed the front part of it and connected the router to the test socket, but still no luck, I’m just hoping it works out after midnight
KBLFC
Hooked

Cut wire outside flat

Hi, I posted a few hours ago with problems with my router, I’m pretty sure if I look out my window (I live 2nd floor) I can see my broadband wire, but it looks like it’s been cut, I’ll have to wait till tomorrow to see if it is, but if it turns out to be cut, will there be a charge for the engineer to fix it? It’s been cut a long way away from my window, so it’s obviously not me, or anyone who has lived here previous who has done it

P.s I apologise if I’m posting in the wrong place
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Cut wire outside flat

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Threads merged to keep support in one place

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Baldrick1

As it’s upstream of the master socket and there’s no way of blaming it on you I can’t imagine you would be held responsible.

You can buy a corded phone from Argo for £6-7. It’s well worth having one to check your landline.

Moderator and Customer

KBLFC
Hooked

Thanks for your help Baldrick, do you know how long it takes an engineer to come out on average?

P.s. I checked it again this morning, still orange power light with a red flashing broadband sign, iv had a good look at the wire I saw last night, it isn’t cut from what I can see I just can’t work out what’s wrong
Baldrick1

Before worrying about getting an engineer out you need to ring Plusnet and explain your problem it's a freephone number. It might be no more than they have not yet activated your line, they will be able to help with this, they will also be able to see if your router is connected so make sure that it is switched on before ringing..

Moderator and Customer

KBLFC
Hooked

Thanks for they reply, and I just done that, had me on hold for 5 minutes, turns out it’s a fault at the exchange, nothing to do with my socket or wire, I have someone booked to fix it on the 21st so happy days 😁😁

Thanks for all the help Baldrick, hopefully everything is fixed on the 21st, if not, I’ll update you
OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi KBLFC,

I'm soryr to hear about your FAULT.

Please let us know how you get on and if there is anything we may assist you with after the fault engineer completes his visit on the 21st.

Thanks.

Tags (1)