Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - install problems with Open Reach due to corona virus

Melmo1984
Hooked

New customer - install problems with Open Reach due to corona virus

Hello
I am a new customer and was due to have my installation by an open reach engineer Friday, he arrived today but said he was unable to install as he can’t enter my property.

I have already paid my monthly subscription fee for the next 12months from install. I couldn’t get hold of anyone due to the call centres being down so I have had to call my existing provider Virgin who are charging me £54 for a monthly fee so that I have internet for a month.

Please can someone advise if there is an advisor I can resolve this with, I am concerned about the costs I have been and will continue to be charged by virgin plus the fact I am paying for plus net without access to services.

Thank you
9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: New customer - install problems with Open Reach due to corona virus

@Melmo1984  Welcome to the forum.

I’m afraid that there’s little that Plusnet can do as this is Openreach policy. See  https://www.openreach.com/covid-19-coronavirus

Whilst Plusnet take your first months charge up front they don’t start timing the first month until your service goes live so you won’t be double charged except for any overlap between the service going live and the end of your Vitgin month. 

Having said that it could be many months before Openreach start entering properties again. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Melmo1984
Hooked

Thanks for your feedback, I’ve actually paid plus net for the full 12 months up front and I can’t afford to pay virgins £54 rate ongoing on top of that. Would I have an option to cancel my contract with PlusNet and get a refund? Virgin will only reduce the monthly amount if I sign up to year’s contract. Like most people I have to have broadband to work from home.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Chat to My Orders

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Melmo1984
Hooked

Can someone explain what my orders is? Will I hear back from someone at customer services? I have contacted open reach and they are deferring to plus net. Thanks
Melmo1984
Hooked

My query says it’s been fixed, even though it is still unresolved.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Melmo1984, I am really sorry to hear of the situation you are in. I'm afraid in all honesty there isn't anything we can do at this point due to the current process in place for engineers. The situation is changing daily, however I'm afraid that we can't give you a timescale on when engineers may be able to carry out this kind of work.

Whilst we of course do not want you to leave, I can fully understand should you make this decision and if you were to cancel you would be issued a full refund. If you do decide to do this, you'll need to speak with our Customer Options Team who can arrange this.

They are contactable directly on 0800 013 2632 and they are open between the following hours:

Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00

Saturday: 09:00 - 19:00

Sunday: 09:00 - 18:00

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Melmo1984
Hooked

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for your response. I totally appreciate we are in unprecedented times, it’s just that it’s left me in a vulnerable position as I am living on my own and currently signed off of work for several weeks and have to have internet for next week as I am due to return to work. The engineer didn’t provide any information or guidance about the open reach policy in response to corona virus and I hadn't received any information in advance from open reach or Plus Net about the actions being taken or the policy being applied in response to the corona virus. I unfortunately also have an ongoing dispute with virgin and really want to avoid continuing any kind of contract with them as it’s been so stressful so I’m feeling quite quite overwhelmed on what to do because if this continues for 3 months I’ll end up paying virgin over half of what I paid for my contract with plus net for 12 months and simply can’t afford it and nor do I want to lock myself into a contract with Virgin again for another 12months.

I appreciate your offer of a refund. I will contact the contact centre to talk through and see what best course of action to take.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@Melmo1984 

Depending on mobile reception in your area have you considered using mobile data until things settle down? Depending on your usage there are some reasonable deals around, for example Giffgaff are currently offering 80GB packages that last up to a month for £20 on a monthly contract. You can either tether a phone  or get a MiFi unit such as a Huawei E5577. This sounds cheaper than Virgin.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

abails0105
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 60

Thanks for getting back to us @Melmo1984,

I do truly apologise for any inconvenience and stress this has caused.If there was anything we could do, I assure you we would.

Once you've been in touch with our Support Team, please do let us know if we can assist with anything else over here

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alice Baillie
 Plusnet Help Team