Did you mean: 

New connection

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: New connection

Hi Brian.

Yeah congestion at the exchange can cause speed issues at peak times especially. Cry

I've set myself a reminder to check back Monday. Hopefully it's resolved by then and I won't need to chase this up again.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
caney97
Rising Star

Hi Anoush, had the open reach engineer out today after you reported a fault. He had no idea why he was here? He could not find any faults at or in the house. He was going to check the green box and said he wouldn’t be back. Just for your information the speed is really slow. The engineer has fixed nothing. Speed measured 12mb download and 1.4md upload tonight which gets worse into the evening. I have been patient because of the proposed work at the exchange. I really hope this sorts something as my patience will wear thin soon. They need to migrate my line soon. I hope you can work some magic somewhere as at the moment my speed is nothing like my guaranteed 34mb that I signed up for.

Regards

Brian

caney97
Rising Star

Forgot to say. The connection has been dropping out quite a bit also.

Regards

Brian.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Brian.

I am really sorry for the length of time this is ongoing for and that you're experiencing problem after problem. Sad

Leave this with me to look into again when I'm back in the office in a few hours.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for waiting Brian.

I'm sorry to see two engineers found no fault with your service despite your router in sync at only 13mbps and your connection dropping quite frequently. I've therefore raised an escalation with BT Wholesale.

Also, our suppliers have now arranged to move your circuit to less congested equipment at the exchange which should complete within 24-48 hours but usually overnight.

I'll be in touch when we hear back from the escalation I've raised, it should be within a few hours.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
caney97
Rising Star

Hi Anoush,

just to update you. We have had another engineer from openreach today. He thinks he has spotted a problem with electrical interference which happens at 16:00 and 18:00 most days but not every day. He went away and came back at 16:00 but was unable to find anything in our house that is causing the problem. He said it could be anywhere in a neighbors house, at the exchange, etc. He is trying to leave the fault as unresolved so that he can monitor what is being registered on the system. He can see the history for the last month and can see it has been slow and dropping the connection. He doesn’t think the new equipment at the exchange will make much difference, but hopefully we are or have been migrated across as anything might help. He has increased the speed again today but doesn’t expect it to last. This is the first time anyone has found electrical interference, this is a new development. He was speaking to someone else who was checking online from an office and they said it looked like a fault with the modem/router. He asked how old it was and when told he then thought it shouldn’ Be that. We have been left with a different idea as to the problem but no permanent fix. It’s slightly better than the wasted visit last week, we can only wait to see if we hear anything more from openreach.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the extensive update Brian.
I’ll see if we’ve heard anything this side once I’m back in the office tomorrow.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for waiting Brian.

Our suppliers sent the fault report back to us last night advising they believe the problem is resolved. Whilst our tests are showing your router in sync at 40mbps now, we can see that there are still drops in your connection:

I've sent the fault report back to our suppliers and I'll let you know when we hear back.

It'll likely come to another engineer visit though I'm afraid.

He doesn’t think the new equipment at the exchange will make much difference, but hopefully we are or have been migrated across as anything might help.

Yeah this would've been an unrelated issue to the drops you're experiencing.

I can see your service has been migrated to the new equipment which shouldn't be overutilised anymore.

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
caney97
Rising Star

Hi Anoush, we have had another engineer out today. He has done more testing and confirms he thinks the problem is electrical interference. He can’t find the source inside our house but says he was getting interference on his phone out in the street opposite our house. After yesterday’s visit we had the connection dropping out this morning so it is definitely not resolved. Today’s engineer he’s swapped some wires around in hole in the path opposite us and has checked in the green box but he still thinks the electrical/radio wave interference is still the problem. He says they may need to organise something called a ‘rain check’ (may have got this term wrong) which apparently has a vehicle with scanning equipment outside our house which should pinpoint the source of the problem. The speed is back up as you say at the moment but we have had this numerous times before and it doesn’t last. Oh well will have to wait to see what happens next?

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

. He says they may need to organise something called a ‘rain check’ 

Its actually spelt "REIN" ; -See this  https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/knowledgebase/broadband-understanding-rein-and-shine

Any of the following ANYWHERE along the route of your phone line can cause REIN or SHINE

• Faulty power adapters.
  • Timed devices, such as central heating.
  • Christmas tree lights (especially on ‘flash’ setting).
  • EPOS and PDQ devices.
  • Railway power lines.
  • Street lights.
  • Roadworks.
  • Faulty set-top boxes, televisions and other appliances.
  • Power cables running close to telephone wiring in the home.

caney97
Rising Star

Thanks runhare. I now have a better understanding of what the engineer was trying to describe,that’s very helpful.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Brian. Thanks again for the update.

The fault report is still in hand with our suppliers and we should have an update at some point today with regards to where we go from here, but it sounds like a REIN engineer does need to go out.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Brian. Whilst our suppliers have advised us to book another engineer visit, it looks like your connection has been a lot more stable recently. How are things your side?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
caney97
Rising Star

Hi Anoush, the speed is definitely better at the moment. I think the connection has dropped during the last 2 evenings (or that’s what my iPad is telling me) but your graph does not reflect this. I don’t know what openreach think another engineer visit will achieve. We have been at this point before where the connection and speed are better for up to 3 - 4 weeks and then it goes down hill again. If you want to leave it for now I don’t mind but if possible leave this question open for now and I will report back if problems occur again in the near future. What do you think?

Regards Brian.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Brian.

Did you notice the light on the front of your router change colour when your connection dropped the past two evenings? As our logs don't always pick up every drop for fibre circuits. Sad

Unfortunately due to the way we work with Openreach, the only option we have to investigate this is to arrange an engineer visit as line tests aren't picking up on a definitive cause of the problem. I appreciate the frustration/inconvenience though.

I'm happy to leave it as it is for now, I'll keep the ticket in my workflow checking on your connection periodically.

Let me know if there are any developments like things getting worse.

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet