cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build property with no ONT yet

Lawrencium103
Hooked

New build property with no ONT yet

I move into a new-build house next week. Other houses on the development have Openreach ONTs fitted, but my house does not yet have an ONT. The builder is suggesting that I contact Openreach to expedite its installation. I think it’s the builder’s responsibility to get the ONT installed, so I’m hassling them to get it done before exchanging contracts.

I did try ordering service from Plusnet (via 0800 432 0200) but “the computer says no”, because there’s no line to the property.

Can Plusnet expedite the installation of the ONT if I order service from Plusnet? If yes, which team should I speak to?

Any suggestions, how to get the ONT installed quickly?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: New build property with no ONT yet

@Lawrencium103 

If no ONT is in place, OpenReach do not have a record of a "line" to the property therefore you can't order from PN or anyone else at the moment. I would agree it's the Builder's job to sort things out. They'll have a contact at OR dealing with site installations.

You could try the PlusNet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 to see if they can help.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

The builder is suggesting that I contact Openreach to expedite its installation

you can't contact Openreach,, only the builder can, as @bmc says it's their responsibility.

If there's no ONT  it probably means the fibre hasn't been routed to the house yet, hence the availability checker won't show it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mark63
Rising Star

It will do no harm to fill in this Openreach form, which is designed for customers who feel they have been missed out 'in their road' for FTTP

https://www.openreach.com/forms/fibre-broadband-availability---customer-form

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Mark63 good link but I think @Lawrencium103 really needs this form https://www.openreach.com/forms/copper-or-fibre-broadband-problems-in-new-build.

I'd still be pressuring the builder...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mark63
Rising Star

@MisterW wrote:

@Mark63 good link but I think @Lawrencium103 really needs this form https://www.openreach.com/forms/copper-or-fibre-broadband-problems-in-new-build.

I'd still be pressuring the builder...

Ah, that's an even better form ! Agreed though, the builder is the 'vendor' in this situation

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@MisterW wrote:

If there's no ONT it probably means the fibre hasn't been routed to the house yet, hence the availability checker won't show it.

How does that logic work in BT's paradigm?

Fibre must be around the build as other properties have it, albeit that individual property does not have its own fibre installed yet.

Fibre runs past my house, which has neither an ONT nor its own fibre ... but FTTP is showing as available if I want to order it.  In one case no ONT and no fibre means you cannot have it, whilst in another you can have it if you want it.  To all intents and purposes the dwellings are identical in their locality to installed fibre networks.

Is this a case of BTOR database madness or some exception game with new builds which makes life even more stressful for first time occupants?

Is suppose that it is possible that the core FTTP network is not fully built out and there are currently no spare ports.  In which case, it is not a matter of the builder getting the individual property connected, but one of BTOR expanding the core fibre network capacity / access deployment.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fibre runs past my house, which has neither an ONT nor its own fibre ... but FTTP is showing as available if I want to order it.  In one case no ONT and no fibre means you cannot have it, whilst in another you can have it if you want it.  To all intents and purposes the dwellings are identical in their locality to installed fibre networks.

My understanding is that the 'fibre prep' is different for new-builds and existing premises. For existing premises its basically the infrastructure e.g pole or area fibre install, with possibly a check of existing ducting being clear, which then shows fibre as available, but no fibre is actually run to the premises until its ordered. With new builds, as part of the prep, fibre is actaully run to each property and an ONT installed. So if the prep has been completed then an ONT will have been installed, if the prep hasn't completed then fibre will not show as available.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@MisterW 

That clarifies nicely ... if a new build has no connection whatsoever ... there is a fair chance that there is no duct to the property ... so not quite the same as a somehow already connected to the (copper) network property.

Lawrencium103
Hooked

Thanks for your ongoing suggestions. We are continuing to pester the builder, who is pestering Openreach daily. He's as frustrated as we are at Openreach's tardiness. Our neighbours on both sides are similarly without ONTs. Houses further along the street that sold a few weeks earlier do have ONTs (and wifi - three from BT and one renegade opting for Sky).

Just for your information, we and our neighbours do have ducts popping up at the front of our houses (complete with blue rope), but there is no fibre in the ducts, nor CSPs on our outside wall. The builder fitted the fibre from where the CSP will go to where the ONT will go during first fit. I haven't found the CBT chamber yet, but I'd be surprised if Openreach hadn't planned sufficient capacity for the whole estate.

If anyone wants to snoop around, the postcode of our property is NE62 5FD. The houses nearby that already have service are NE62 5FB.

I'll keep you informed!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Houses further along the street that sold a few weeks earlier do have ONTs

I would guess that each time Openreach go to site, they will only install fibre to any (or some) properties that have ducting and internal fibre already in place. So if the last time they came, yours (and neighbours) didnt have ducting and/or internal fibre, they would not have completed the install on those.

So its now down to the builder to pressure OR (is that even possible?) to go back to site.

You (and your immediate neighbours) could try emailing the OR CEO and complaining about the delay.

Lawrencium103
Hooked

We have an ONT! A nice man from Openreach came to site today, pulled fibres to us and our neighbours, attached the CSPs, spliced the fibres and installed our ONTs. He suggested waiting until tomorrow to order service, explaining that service should be provided faster than if we ordered today. Right now the BT Wholesale checker shows availability as "Planned" so we'll see how we get on tomorrow. 

Thanks for all your suggestions.