cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build, massive issues getting phone and internet - NOT Happy

sparrowsendbarn
Dabbler

New build, massive issues getting phone and internet - NOT Happy

OMG, I'm reading this forum and am more fuming than I was as it seems having a new build is something PlusNet can't comprehend

We have a new build, I entered the request for phone line and broadband on November 5th - payment of £74.98 was taken

Phoned and spoke with [CSA Removed] who said the request is sitting with Open Reach and that it's a good thing I called when I did because one more day and the request would have been cancelled - so there's nothing in place top check requests between you and Open Reach. [CSA Removed] told me he would raise a complaint.

30th November. I spoke with [CSA Removed] who kindly informed me [CSA Removed] had done nothing and the account was still with Open Reach and no complaint had been raised, thanks [CSA Removed]

[CSA Removed] told me a surveyor needs to come out as my address is Silver Key. What's that I asked. Well, it's more than likely that your address is a new build. Are you kidding me??? I told you all this when I entered the initial request!!!!!

Received this text on 30th Nov [Sms Message: This is to confirm that your phone order is in progress and we will confirm an update on the progress in 3 days and contact you then. Plusnet

That's the last message I've received so I called again on December 2nd and spoke with Steven and received an email

Thanks for your call the order has only just built up on the systems the next course of action will be for the survey team to visit and plan the work that is needed to get you connected we will update you once this has been completed with the next steps.

Kind regards,

That's the last I've heard. I tried calling today but an automated message came on asking me to call back tomorrow

I'm absolutely flabbergasted at the complete lack of service and apparent incompetence. There hasn't been a surveyor at the property and having read all of this in the community I'm pretty much certain no-one will turn up.

Moderators Note: CSA name removed as per Forum rules

41 REPLIES 41
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: New build, massive issues getting phone and internet - NOT Happy

[CSA Removed] told me a surveyor needs to come out as my address is Silver Key.

To try and explain, most addresses are Gold Key, that is they exist on the Post Office database and Openreach's, Silver Key addresses are on the Post Office but not Openreach's. With a Gold key address, Openreach know exactly what is required to provide service, usually just reactivating or reconnecting an existing line. With Silver key , OR have to survey to see whether a line exists. With new builds, a lot depends on what services the builders connected.

Problem is the all PN can do is place an order with OR for a phone line installation. With a Silver key requiring survey, OR then move at their normal 'glacial' pace. Where PlusNet don't help themselves is in the feeding back (or the lack thereof!) information on the order progress automatically. 

Moderators Note: CSA name removed as per Forum rules

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I had exactly the same issues when I moved to a new build, I was with BT for telephony and broadband.
Took them a while to get it right sadly, definitely issues with OR and not PN - though as @MisterW says their communication as let you down.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there and I'm really sorry for any poor communication or lack of joined up approach in relation to this. 

I've taken ownership of dealing with this as a matter of complaint going forward. 

I can see that you spoke with a colleague this afternoon who advised that we're hoping to be able to arrange an appointment with you tomorrow following the next update from Openreach. 

I'll be chasing this up tomorrow with that in mind and will be in touch with an update.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sparrowsendbarn
Dabbler

Appreciate the comments and information thank you and thanks for taking ownership Adam. I look forward to hearing today when the surveyor will be coming out. Light at the end of the tunnel!

sparrowsendbarn
Dabbler

Not really surprised that I didn't hear from the surveyor or an OR engineer. I'll be cancelling this whole thing if I don't see action in the next 48 hours and will be expecting a refund
sparrowsendbarn
Dabbler

Do we have any news on this Adam? Surely it can't still be stuck with OR?
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@sparrowsendbarn As it appears Adam did not get a reply on Friday, OR are unlikley to reply over the weekend, so Monday will be the next oppertunity to get any info.

Is this a single new house, or part of a development? Just trying to work out why telecoms was not considered when other services were installed?

sparrowsendbarn
Dabbler

Hi there

It's a single new build, well, a barn conversion. Until you have an address you cannot apply for telecoms. As soon as the address was created we started the application. November 5th
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Ah OK, keep an eye on your tickets in the member centre, updates on them are not always mentioned on here.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks a lot for taking my call, as promised I'll be back in touch on the 16th, at which point we should be able to arrange an appointment for the survey. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sparrowsendbarn
Dabbler

Hi Adam

Still absolutely nothing from OR. I've received your voicemail messages but have had no contact whatsoever on when it's going to be surveyed, never mind have phone and broadband set up

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there, I've just chased this for you and have added an update to your account here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=208785346

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sparrowsendbarn
Dabbler

So, Open Reach came out yesterday, well I say it was Open Reach, it was someone from Kelly Communications. 

First thing he asked when he saw the house, "right then, where's the line?"

"What line?" I said, "it's a new build"

"Oh, well in that case there's nothing I can do for you, I didn't know this was a new build and I'm not qualified for this type of installation, you'll need an Open Reach engineer who can do UG installs" (by UG, I assume he meant underground)

He left after telling me he would escalate it and get someone out yesterday or today. I've heard nothing

Now I'm seriously at the end of my tether with this whole farce. Tried to call Plus Net and after being on hold for 55 minutes I gave up.

Please can someone contact me

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there, I'm really sorry to see that the engineer couldn't complete the installation for you. The job is still queued with the UG team as they found that an engineer with underground access training is needed as the line needs to be run through ducting into your home. 

I've just chased this up with Openreach and have added an update to your account here https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=208785346

I'll make sure this gets chased again tomorrow and that you're kept updated.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team