cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Order - received message about 'Cease on line' from previous provider, do i need to do anything?

FIXED
Everfire
Hooked

New Order - received message about 'Cease on line' from previous provider, do i need to do anything?

Hi

I am switching to Plusnet from my current provider Sky.  My contract is due to end with Sky on 09/06/2021

I have received a message from Plusnet regarding my order stating the following:

"

This is to inform you that your request to place your phone order to transfer your services cannot be processed because there is a cease on the line from your current provider. This is due to complete on the 08/06/2021. 

You can either wait for the cease to complete or contact your current provider to get it removed. Once the cease has been removed we can then replace your orders for you.

"

I'm confused if this is normal or if I need to do anything about this as the date of the cease would seem to be correct if I am switching to Plusnet on 09/06/2021.

Can someone please let me know if this is just normal for switching as I have read that 'Cease on Line' have caused people issues in switching but from the dates I would think for me this is just normal as I can't cease my current provider until the 08/06/2021?

Thanks for any help in advance!

David 

17 REPLIES 17
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: New Order - received message about 'Cease on line' from previous provider, do i need to do anyth

@Everfire have you told Sky you are cancelling ? It looks like it, because they have placed a cease order on the line. The Openreach systems will not allow a transfer order to be placed until the cease order completes. This means that PlusNet cannot place an order to take over your line until 08/06. There will then be a delay whilst the transfer orders are processed and you will be without service for some days.

If you havent cancelled directly with Sky, then they SHOULD not have placed the cease. Best option is to try and get Sky to remove the cease, then PlsuNet can place the transfer order and there will be no break in service (well maybe a short one!)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Everfire
Hooked

Re: New Order - received message about 'Cease on line' from previous provider, do i need to do anyth

Thanks for this, I had suspected I would need to contact Sky about it and it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they have done this to be awkward.

Tbh, if they hadn't emailed me saying my contract would end and the price would double, I wouldn't have switched but the cheek of it made me switch - to then get emails after I switch saying they could do a deal to reduce the price - maybe try doing that before saying it will double the price and you wouldn't lose customers. 🤔

I did not tell Sky that I was cancelling directly though, I merely placed the order with Plusnet and it advised during that process I did not need to contact Sky to cancel as they would take care of the switch.

I've had emails and message from Sky to advise that they know I'm switching on this date though, so they have been told.

I will get in touch with Sky now about this now to get the Cease part removed.

Thanks

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I did not tell Sky that I was cancelling directly though, I merely placed the order with Plusnet and it advised during that process I did not need to contact Sky to cancel as they would take care of the switch

Sounds like you've followed the correct procedure. Sky should not have placed a cease on the line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Everfire
Hooked

I've just been in contact with Sky and they advise that they cannot remove the 'Cease' order and that it is normal for them to have this placed for the end of the contract date.

I fully suspect this is rubbish though and they are lying to me.

I have a TV package with them as well and had planned to keep that, if I find out this will cause an issue with me switching ISP and costs me a delay (10 working days), I'll be telling them to cancel everything.

What should I do now, should I contact Plusnet directly as Sky are telling me this shouldn't cause a problem in switching providers?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I fully suspect this is rubbish though and they are lying to me

They are.

What should I do now, should I contact Plusnet directly as Sky are telling me this shouldn't cause a problem in switching providers?

Another lie!. As I explained , the Openreach system will only allow one order at any time on a line. I'm afraid there's nothing that PlusNet can do, they are not allowed to contact Sky directly. Sky currently 'own' the line, only they can cancel the cease. If they wont play ball, then raise a formal complaint.

Everfire
Hooked

Thanks for you help and clarifying what I suspect is happening here.

They seriously are within minutes of losing me as a customer completely with all this.

I had spoken to them using their Web Chat, this time it's going to be a phone call and I feel sorry for the person I get speaking to!

Fuming to say the least!

Everfire
Hooked

Just an update to say issue sorted! - As in there was actually no issue and just the email from Plusnet had me a bit confused.

After speaking to Sky directly and getting someone that knew their stuff, the issue is down to the change in phone provider as Sky are not a BT network, whereas Plusnet are BT network.

The cease order was actually done by Plusnet and it is done to prevent any other network claiming the line/number.

Spoke to lovely person at Plusnet and she assured me the order is fine and due to go live on 9th June with only a few hours downtime, the Cease on the line is not going to prevent the go live date of 9th June.

Panic over and it seems my rage at Sky was not founded after all, after speaking to them they were quite helpful and they did say if the Cease was them they would remove it but it really was not.

Would seem then after doing a lot of research on what a 'Cease' is that there can be a huge number of reasons and though it's never fun, speaking to both parties directly may help clarify what/where it is coming from.  In my case it's just normal and all is good Smiley

Thanks for the help though today

David

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

In my case it's just normal and all is good

If that's the case, then the message from PlusNet needs amending.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: New Order - received message about 'Cease on line' from previous provider, do i need to do an...

Fix

Hi David,

Really sorry first of all for the massive amount of confusion and hassle we've caused.

From what I can see Sky's done absolutely nothing wrong here, and as you've found out (from I consider one of the best advisers on our provisioning/order department), there can be various reasons a cease is placed and the cease in this instance was due to our order progressing to takeover your existing line on the 8th.

When we place a working line takeover to transfer an active service from another provider to Plusnet, this consists of multiple orders in the Openreach systems which are all linked together. 

We've got the order to activate our phone line on BT's equipment at the exchange, an order to cease your service with Sky, an order to activate our fibre service at the cabinet (the green box) and another order to import your phone number. 

We'd often say that your service goes live the day after it's actually is to set expectations as it can take anytime up to midnight. I can confirm though that everything's on track to complete on the 8th before midnight. 

On the day there may be some gap in service as the cease order would generally be one of the first to complete, but the remaining orders would follow, if all goes to plan you shouldn't be without a service for more than a day. I'd say though the vast majority go through with minimal downtime. 

Also the last adviser has manually ordered your router which should be in the post within 24-48 hours.

Feel free to post back if there are any further issues at all or anything else you'd need help with. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Everfire
Hooked

Re: New Order - received message about 'Cease on line' from previous provider, do i need to do an...

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Dont worry about it, these things happen. I work in IT support so i am rather used to it haha.

Tbh both yourself and Sky were helpful in getting to the issue so its all good and my slight rage wasnt founded at all - well maybe with Skys webchat as they didnt comprehend when i first contacted them!

Im just glad its all in progress as trying to WFH without internet for 10+ days would be a bit of nightmare!

Thanks again

David
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me David,

No problem at all. Makes sense, nothing like working in a similar industry to understand problems each other goes through haha. I'm glad though that it was just a bit of confusion and everything was actually on track. Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Gandalf  @JonoH 

This is to inform you that your request to place your phone order to transfer your services cannot be processed because there is a cease on the line from your current provider. This is due to complete on the 08/06/2021.

Can a systems amendment request please be raised to have this communication text corrected?

As inferred by @MisterW we have seen plenty of examples where Sky have placed a service cease order on a line quite inappropriately, where they are aware that the user is jumping ship.  In such circumstances users have ended up being without broadband whilst the third party cease order completes.

As things stand, users cannot discern the difference between the above text being received due to a process under the control of Plusnet or as the consequence of outside interference.  The former is no issue, so the warning is not required, whereas the latter requires urgent action from the user so as to mitigate the risk of being without service for 10 days.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

@Townman

A pending cease order can be placed various reasons, the most common one being when the end user has informed their current CP that they're wanting to leave, before initiated a transfer to their new provider. This can often be resolved by asking the end user to contact their current CP, and ask them to remove the pending cease order which has been placed on the line. CP's should not refuse this request.

In the example above however, the end user was incorrectly advised that there is a pending cease by ourselves. A Provide order had already been placed, which automatically generates a cease order on the current CP''s end.

The matter does now appear to be resolved, and no further work is needed here.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@adam945 

Sorry if this seems a bit blunt...

1. This was addressed to Jono and Anoush
  2. The Super Users are aware of the scenarios under which a cease order inhibits Plusnet delivering service to new users proficiently - this one is a new revelation
  3. The communication points towards the known issues, not towards the new revelation and is therefore confusing and unhelpful to users
  4. Whilst this INDIVIDUAL case might have been addressed, the business process has not and therefore it would be helpful if the request was reviewed by one of the senior agents so that they can examine the merits of implementing change