Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre router

FIXED
amcbride
Grafter

New Fibre router

Got a date for activation for fibre for 03/05/18.

How soon does the router turn up before the activation? If it hasn`t turned up a day or 2 before activation day should I contact PN to inform them?

Also can I setup the router with my normal broadband before fibre is activated will my normal internet work with the supplied  new router?

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: New Fibre router

Fix

Plusnet send the router out at the last minute but if you haven't received it by the day before your go live date then contact them. Be aware that there is a history of activation dates being delayed by the non availability of Openreach resources not being passed back to the customer by Plusnet.

The Hub One works on both ADSL and VDSL so it is safe to ignore the Plusnet instruction not to connect it until fibre is activated, just connect it as soon as it arrives. It should seamlessly (there will be a short disconnection) change over on the day.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

amcbride
Grafter

Many thanks for you answer. I have read other posters questions and noted that a number have had issues with activation and not receiving a new router, so I now know to contact PN the day before if I haven`t received the router.

Wonder why PN don`t send a new router earlier as like me I would expect a lot of people waiting for activation would rather have the router as early as possible. Personally it would put my mind at ease that the process is actually being actioned and would allow me to check that the router is working.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I've pushed your router order through now, so you should receive it within a few days.

Unfortunately though your fibre order has been delayed to the 11th May due to engineer availability.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
amcbride
Grafter

Thanks for pushing the order for the router for me, which means I can at least the router can be configured and checked before the new activation date.

I see a number of people have been commenting on the wifi range of the PN routers. Does the BT HH6 work with fibre?

Baldrick1

I know it's a real pain. I understand that Plusnet have an automated system that should send the router to you by first class post a few days before the go live date. There is another automated system by which Openreach advise Plusnet on engineer availability on the promised day. If Openreach find there is no resource available when they plan the work then a new date is automatically sent to Plusnet and the shipping of the router is automatically delayed.

Then we come to the great big hole in the process. If Openreach advise that the date has been changed, whilst Plusnet are automatically told of the new date there is no follow on automatic message to advise the customer of the delay. I understand that this requires manual intervention. Consequently, on some occasions the first that the customer knows about the delay is the non arrival of a router. Add to this postal delays and glitches in the Plusnet despatch system the process can be a bit flaky.

Hopefully you will be OK.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@amcbride wrote:
I see a number of people have been commenting on the wifi range of the PN routers. Does the BT HH6 work with fibre?

I see that whilst explaining why there could be delays it's actually happened - such is life.

Many of us use the HH6 on fibre, so yes, it works fine. If you're not aware, the Plusnet Hub One is a HH5a with tweeked firmware..

Moderator and Customer

amcbride
Grafter

Does the supplied router have a decent wifi range?

Baldrick1

It's reasonable. Your best bet is to try it. This may be useful as it compares the Hub One with other ISP's  routers:: https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/assets/pdf/bt_smart_hub_test_report.pdf

Moderator and Customer

amcbride
Grafter

You are a star Baldrick it`s a cunning plan !