Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FTTC order

FIXED
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

New FTTC order

I am coming back to PlusNet to pester the staff on the forum! I know it could be a mistake but I was previously a customer for probably 13 years with very few problems, mostly caused by suppliers.(i.e. BT/Openreach)

I had actually ordered a service from my current ISP, a small company who use TalkTalk Business for backhaul and was surprised to be given a TalkTalk Business phone number so it seems my new address is served by a Category B exchange so Plusnet prices are very attractive. So that order was cancelled and I signed up with PlusNet on Monday 14th October

Looking at the flurry of service notices and questions produced immediately after sign up was interesting. I have a stopped BT line with a valid BT CLI, but obviously no calls can be made.

The first thing PlusNet say is that I need new equipment installed at my home, why?  I already have a BT line.

An engineer visit is required to install a new line. No

[INTERNAL] Process queue reasons 'No active BT Line found' have been manually completed. This is correct but I do have a stopped BT line

There is now an open question on my account. Question #195098223

"We've been unable to place the order for your phone service."

I suspect this is because my order with the other ISP has not yet been cancelled off the system so no order can be placed.

I expect these early Tickets are produced by automation but since then no further messages or responses have been received.

Please could Forum Staff such as @Gandalf look into this and check the reason for the ordering problem and why they think a new line is required when I already have a stopped BT line. Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: New FTTC order

Hi @RealAleMadrid welcome back Cool

I'm sorry to see there are issues with your order. I've looked into this for you and while I can see your line was stopped on the 4th October, your telephone number isn't available for us to reserve/place an order with so our system generated a rejection ticket 195098223 for us to investigate further and if needed to replace the order with a new number.

I've discussed this with our suppliers number porting team and they've advised that the number is marked in such a way that it can't be used, so I've then discussed this with their provisioning team and as I'm not overly comfortable on providing my findings publicly I've added them to the ticket. 

I'm following this up with an email to an escalated team within Openreach to clarify this further and I'd expect a response back either tomorrow or Friday. Apologies again that there's already an issue with your order.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for looking at this, I have replied to the ticket, basically saying that the number doesn't matter to me so can an order be placed with a request for a new number?

The reason for the number being marked as unavailable is very strange Huh

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @RealAleMadrid 

No problem. Yeah it's really odd and something I've not seen before. I'm interested to know more though so I'm going to keep an eye out for a reply to the email I've sent.

In the meantime, I've placed an order to restart the stopped line with a new number. We'll place your fibre order once the line's active and records have updated to show broadband's available to order, which should be within the next 24 hours.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@Gandalf   You must have used your magical powers because the phone is now active on the so called unavailable number.Smiley There is also an open order on the line which I presume is the FTTC broadband. Things are looking good.Thanks for your help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RealAleMadrid That's good spot as I actually didn't realise even though I copied and pasted the number onto the ticket following placing the phone order. Roll_eyes During placing the order, I instinctively selected the option to use the same number the line had before it was stopped. It's still really odd why we couldn't specifically request that number...

Yup the fibre order is the open order you can see committed to a completion date of 24/10/19. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@Gandalf   I had an email saying my broadband is ready, sent early this morning, presumably by automation. I have VDSL sync on the modem so no engineer required at the cabinet. Looks like an authentication issue at your end, could you please check that the account is correctly activated, I am getting "authentication rejected" at the router.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RealAleMadrid We're seeing several 'awaiting start' connections so it looks like something is stuck. I've refreshed the broadband component on your account, could you try again letting me know how it goes?

Incidentally I noticed that the order completed in the early hours of the morning.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@Gandalf   Thanks for having a look, still not getting a connection. I have tried a direct PPPoE connection to the openreach modem. The login details look correct as it states

"Connected to remote computer"

"Verifying username and password"

"Unable to establish a connection"

If I use a wrong password it says "Invalid username or password"

I do have a query about the hand shaking protocol request and response, this may have been changed in the router config. Does it use CHAP or MS-CHAP? However this doesn't explain the PPPoE connection not working

I would like some help as there is important football to watch tonight😀

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Thanks for getting back to me @RealAleMadrid 

This is really odd, I've been looking into this (Scratching my head...) with a couple of colleagues. 

Unfortunately I'm passing this to our overnight team to carry out what's known as a dial test, which means that we'll attempt to connect to the internet on a test computer using your account to narrow down where the issue may lie.

Assuming/if you'd be happy to go ahead could you add a reply to this ticket confirming you'd be happy for us to change your password? You'd then need to change the password back afterwards.

Sorry that it doesn't look like your broadband will be online tonight. ☹️ Having said that, as the dial test should be carried out between midnight and 7am, could you try changing your account password to something different then try again?

We're also not sure if you'd use CHAP or MS-CHAP, this also isn't logged on our help & support pages or internal documentation although we'd suspect it's CHAP. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@Gandalf  Just to follow up on this, been busy over the last couple of days so not able to post. Dial test was carried out early Friday morning and connection deemed to be working OK, after resetting password my router would still not connect but I could connect using  PPPoE to the modem. My router has quite sophisticated logging and trace functions which showed CHAP protocol rejected by Peer so I rolled back the config to an earlier version and after sorting the username and password it connected OK. So I had inadvertently changed something in the CHAP authentication set up which had caused the problem. Anyway it is working fine now, thanks for the diagnostic help.😀

Just one other question, I believe there is a £75 cashback offer on this new account, how is this provided, is it a payment card or some other method?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

Received an e-mail to claim my reward this morning.😊

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@RealAleMadrid Excellent, it's good to see you've managed to find the pesky issue and eradicate it 😁 and you've got your cashback claimed now. If there's ever anything you'd need help with, well you know where we are. 😬

[edit]

Edited to reduce emoji size.

Looks like our Lithium/Khoros internal response system makes the emoji's enormous following a related update🤔

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet