Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Broadband Order, Number Not Valid

mick82
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

New Broadband Order, Number Not Valid

Hi,
I signed up to Plusnet yesterday, but I have received an email this morning saying that my phone number isn't valid. I think the reason for this is that my current ISP Sky uses VOIP for the land line phone. Has anyone else encountered this problem and was it possible to transfer to Plusnet?
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: New Broadband Order, Number Not Valid

Cant you use the phone number your broadband is delivered over? 

Not the one plugged into the router.

mick82
Dabbler

Hi,
That is the number, it's the one I've had for years but when I switched to sky they changed it to VOIP and I have to connect my house phone into the router.
Thanks
mick82
Dabbler

I have just called an agent and the order is now getting processed. I have to have a new number because when my number was changed to VOIP by sky it can't be changed back, unfortunately I wasn't made aware of this when I signed up to sky but luckily I don't really use my landline phone so having a different number isn't a problem.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

That is the number, it's the one I've had for years but when I switched to sky they changed it to VOIP and I have to connect my house fone into the router.

Interesting!, looking on t'internet it would appear that Sky are provisioning SoGea connections i.e no landline. There's a few complaints out there about Sky not advising people of the difficultly in getting their number back should they migrate to another ISP. Also people some aren't being told about the problem of not being able to make emergency calls in power loss situations!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mick82
Dabbler

Hi,
Yes they didn't mention anything about loosing my number if I switch, all they asked is if I had an alternative phone in case of emergency when there is a power cut and if I had any alarms.
Fortunately I don't use the house phone much so it's not a problem changing numbers.
Thanks.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

If the number was originally allocated by BT and is to be connected to the original exchange then technically it is possible to port the number back in from a VOIP provider. I suspect that neither PlusNet or Sky's systems can cope with this though...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mick82
Dabbler

From what I have read on the sky forums sky would have to change the service from VoIP to a standard line at their end then I would be able to change as normal. From what I have read this involves been without service while this is done and sky probably won't be willing to do this if I'm intending to leave.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, thats probably the only way. I was thinking of the situation where the VOIP number stays active ( i.e its with a normal VOIP provider ) . In this case the line is provisioned as normal with Broadband and a new number. The VOIP number is the imported and the line renumbered. That mechanism will only work if the VOIP number stays active though. I'd be pretty sure that as soon as the copper line is transferred from SKy they cease the voip number and so the number import can't work.

They (SKY) really need to be more upfront with customers about the future loss of the number when transferring to them!. Sooner or later OFCOM will twig as to what's happening and do nothing as usual!

mick82
Dabbler

Hi,
If any Plusnet support read this my order still hasn't been sorted, I called and sorted the order on the 13th, this didn't get processed so I called up again on the 18th, the order had got missed and it was resubmitted on the 18th and I was told I would receive and email in 24hrs but I have still recieved nothing. If it doesn't get sorted soon I think I'm just going to cancel my order and get a refund then try a different ISP.
Thanks.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for your post @mick82 and apologies for the delayed response.

Unfortunately, it looks like the order hasn't progressed as you have what's known as a SOGEA line with them which is a line we can't take over automatically and as such we have to send a form off to our suppliers for this to be done manually

I've done this for you now and as soon as I have a further update I'll let you know

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mick82
Dabbler

Thanks Matthew,

Hopefully this will get sorted soon. Will I need to cancel my current broadband with Sky? Or will this still be done automatically once the order is manually processed?

Thanks.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to me @mick82

You don't need to contact them as it should just switch over automatically

It's a bit more complex than usual due to you going from having broadband-only back to broadband and landline

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mick82
Dabbler

Hi Matthew,
Thanks for getting everything sorted for me, I have received various emails today confirming everything. It looks like you have also managed to retain my existing phone number.
Thanks for all your help.
Kind Regards,
Mick

mickb82
Hooked

Error