cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple new-install appointments missed by OpenReach

redpla1

Multiple new-install appointments missed by OpenReach

We ordered a new phone line (and broadband) on 3rd March. I.e. a new, physical line and a new master socket.

On 12th an OpenReach survey appointment was given to us. No engineer turned up.

On 16th an OpenReach installation appointment was given to us. No engineer turned up.

On 19th another OpenReach appointment was given to us. No engineer turned up.

A ticket opened on PlusNet's "Help Assistant" has repeatedly told us that "the job is complete". We can get no response from that ticket at all, now, even though it remains open.

We have no new line, no comms from PlusNet, and we have no idea what - if anything - is being done about our lack of service.

How can we get PlusNet to do something? How can we get PlusNet to tell us what is going on?

8 REPLIES 8
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Multiple new-install appointments missed by OpenReach

redpla1

Thank you. But the core of the problem is that OR have told PlusNet that they have installed a new line, when they have not. That's why no OR engineer is turning up. And it's why PlusNet won't discuss the issue with us and keep shutting down the ticket with the note that the "job is completed".

The solution to our problem is to find who to talk to in PlusNet - someone who can tell OR that the job hasn't been done.

The PlusNet telephone help line can do nothing except "book an engineer to repair the line". Which doesn't work because there is no line to repair, so no engineer comes.

We have written (snail mail) to PlusNet pointing out that we have no telephone because they haven't fitted it. We got a message in return: "we'll telephone you". So clearly whoever deals with letters to PlusNet doesn't actually read them. Just sends a standard response.

I feel like I'm a character in 'Brazil'. Perhaps I should call de Niro?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Is there an existing line in your property?

Is it a new build and does the address appear in the Royal Mail post code list?

Just trying to find out why a new line is needed?

redpla1

We have one line (provider is BT, and it serves the granny annex). Previously, the rest of the building was a holiday letting. Now we've moved into it we need a second line. We were already with PlusNet so we started a new PlusNet contract to install a new line and transfer our number. The job *definitely* says it's a new line installation. And we're paying over-the-odds for the contract because of the fee for the new line.

Building is ~6 years old and correctly appears in the postcode list. I've seen OR's map of the village, and the building is correctly named and positioned on it.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Sounds like you just need them to do as they said they would.

Perhaps if one of staff who frequent these parts could have a look for you.

Whilst it does not seem to need the skills of a wizard, perhaps @Gandalf  might be around to have a look?

Mustrum
Community Veteran

It is disappointing this has not been picked up.

Perhaps it should be in my order for better visibility, will seek advice from the mods. 

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Home Phone to My Order.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

redpla1

Thank you.

After some [snail] letters to head office, someone seems to have taken ownership of this issue. They've placed a new order with OR for another new line.

Not optimistic, though. We've suffered this kind of non-response from OR before. Last time it was because line capacity to the village cab was exhausted so they DACS'ed us without telling us. They still charged us for broadband and they denied - for six months - that there was anything wrong with the line. Never sent an engineer to check, despite a dozen tickets raised with BT who was our provider at the time. The nonsense only ended when our MP found out about the DACS and about OR's persistent lying to us about it... and a week later the road was up and fibre was laid to the village cab.

For this job, I know all the pairs at the nearest pole are in use. Which means OR need to run 30 yards of new copper underground to the pole. Which - I suspect - is why they're just blanking us and refusing to acknowledge the job needs doing.