cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Plusnet

JJM
Grafter

Moving to Plusnet

I'm awaiting move of Broadband and Phone from BT to Plusnet.

BT advise both services will end on 18 December.
Plusnet advise transfer of phone should happen 18 Dec but broadband is due to become active by midnight 19 Dec.

My first question is, can you confirm broadband will be provisioned as ADSL2+ with an uncapped upstream/upload allowing the line to perform to its fullest potential, and if not, why not.

Hope to hear from you soon. Many thanks.

39 REPLIES 39
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Moving to Plusnet

@JJM  the good news is that midnight 19 Dec , in PlusNet speak, really means by 00:00 on the 19th i.e anytime up to midnight on the 18th!

I believe the default is to provision with uncapped upstream these days but hopefully a PlusNet staffer will be along shortly to conifrm(or deny) that.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JJM
Grafter

Thank you @MisterW for taking the time to reply.

The clarification regarding dates is much appreciated.

The position from Plusnet as detailed in the ADSL2+ FAQ:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/ADSL2-FAQ/ba-p/1322814 

"If you're signing up as a new customer, you'll get ADSL2+ if it's available and your line can support it."

"If your line can't support speeds above 4Mb, we'll provide you with ADSL Broadband (offering download speeds 'up to' 6Mb)"

The exchange was 21CN WBC enabled many years ago and ADSL2+ is available. The line is stable with statistics:

ADSL Link               Downstream    Upstream
Link Rate                 8064 Kbps       448 Kbps
Line Attenuation      31.0dB             14.0 dB
Noise Margin           20.8 dB            24.0 dB

I believe the line currently to be stuck on ADSL1.

In 2005 when broadband first became available, connection was 2Mbps which in 2006 or thereabouts was upgraded to ADSLMax at the current speeds.

I believe ADSL2+ has never been enabled / provisioned despite best efforts with previous ISPs to get this done or find out specifically why it supposedly cannot be done.

Downstream is very close to maximum possible sync rate for ADSL1 of 8128Kbps and upstream is maximum possible full sync rate for ADSL1.

If the router DSL Mode is set to either ADSL2 or ADSL2+ it cannot establish sync.

Apparently 448Kbps is not possible anyway as an upstream sync rate on ADSL2 or ADSL2+ and would actually be 444Kbps.

Hence belief the line is stuck on ADSL1.

Line length, as this is an Exchange Only line with a different higher gauge cable with I also believe fewer than usual connected users on it, is not an indicator in the sense it would be ordinarily as the assumptions made in the tables of calculations of expected speed based only on expected cabling and length and antennuation are wrong.

There are approximately 15 properties in the village. As far I can determine only three including mine are Exchange Only lines connected direct in to the exchange about 3.39km by road, the cable taking a similar route and being of a similar length I understand. The remainder are connected to an FTTC cabinet on the roadside outside that same exchange in the nearest town. There is no cabinet in the village itself.

The statistics already show and have for years the line already performs on ADSL well beyond what would ordinarily expected based only on length and other assumptions, and not taking in to account actual conditions.

The relevant factors of Line Attenuation and Noise Margin indicate ADSL2+ if it was provisioned on this line should synchronise at around 14000Kbps instead of 8064Kbps on ADSL1.

Openreach when I was last able to check and see detailed information showed:

Pending - EO Line
Fibre Journey: We are exploring solutions

As there is overall no apparent hope in the near or mid term future of fibre connectivity or cabinet in the village itself that would enable a short copper line from it to actually be useful, any speed improvement is welcome and ADSL2+ is surely the simplest and easiest way towards achieving that, and I'd gladly accept some disruption and work with Plusnet or whoever to a get the line to performing to its fullest potential.

Hopefully Plusnet can get ADSL2+ sorted out as required and respond soon accordingly with some insight.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

What does the dslchecker https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ give for your speed estimate ?

Nb blank your phone number before posting the results , this is a public forum

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JJM
Grafter

Thanks again @MisterW for taking the time to reply.

I meant to include these. They were done shortly before placing the Plusnet order.
I noted the BT Speedtest and Further Diagnostic showed an upload beyond that of the line sync rate and the 0.45Mbs max achievable speed and as far as I can determine is therefore wrong for that and other reasons already mentioned. The other speedtest does not do this.

Router Statistics:

Router Statistics.png

BT Broadband Availability Checker:
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

BT Broadband Availability Checker.pngBT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test and Further Diagnostics:
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

BT Speedtest Results.png

BT Speedtest Further Diagnostics.pngOther Speedtest:

Other speed test.png

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Well , according to the dslchecker Adsl2+:is definitely available. Given your existing noise margins on adsl you ought to get a significant increase in both downstream and upstream speeds on adsl2+. I would have thought the downstream estimate of 14000 is achievable . Upstream should be well above the 448k you're currently getting.

I dont see why you wouldn't be provisioned on adsl2 ( I  dont think pn provision adsl1 anymore ) but we could do with confirmation of that from one of the PN help team ?

JJM
Grafter

There was another speed test I meant to add previously.

Its from Openreach Fibre for Home page that also has a 'Check your broadband speed' button on it.
https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-for-home

When clicked it goes to Ofcom.
https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/

Ofcom Speedtest.png

The apparently ADSL1 / ADSLMax only restricted connection going near full speed at its restricted technological limit is performing poorly.

I'm pleased you @MisterW also see this as I do and agree with my assessment based on what we can know, where relevant indications are that there is obvious potential for ADSL2+ to bring significant improvements in this instance.

I await with great interest a response from Plusnet, but I appreciate they may need to make enquiries with Openreach before doing so.

One of the reasons for switching to Plusnet was the responsive and helpful UK based support.

I have high hopes and put my faith in Plusnet to either provision for ADSL2+ with an uncapped upload from the outset, or if there is an actual legitimate technical reason why this cannot immediately be done to detail that, and then work towards addressing that so that ADSL2+ can then be provisioned.

I'd really like to get this resolved.

JJM
Grafter

There was another speed test I meant to add previously but I could not edit the last post to do so, the option was not displayed.

Its from Openreach Fibre for Home page. As expected there had been no change of availability.
https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-for-home

There was however a 'Check your broadband speed' button which gave the result:

Other speed test 2.png

The apparently ADSL1 / ADSLMax only connection with downstream and upstream near or at the technological limit of ADSLMax is performing poorly.

I'm pleased you @MisterW also see this as I do and agree with my assessment based on what we can know, that the relevant indications as previously detailed are that ADSL2+ would bring significant improvements in this instance.

I await with great interest a response from Plusnet.

I appreciate Plusnet may need to make enquiries with Openreach before doing so.

One of the reasons for switching to Plusnet was the responsive and helpful UK based support.

I have high hopes and put my faith in Plusnet to either provision for ADSL2+ with an uncapped upload from the outset, or if there is an actual legitimate technical reason why this cannot immediately be done to detail that, and then work towards addressing that so that ADSL2+ with an uncaped upload can then be provisioned.

I'd really like to get this issue resolved.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @JJM,

Thanks for getting in touch and we are happy to have you aboard.

I have check your order and can assure you that the upstream has been placed through as uncapped.

Please let us know if you have any further queries.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
JJM
Grafter

Thanks @SammyM

I look forward to switching on 18 Dec and testing how ADSL2+ uncapped upload performs.

JJM
Grafter

Can someone from Plusnet confirm when Broadband will be activated and what if anything is the issue.

I had expected to be online with Plusnet by now but am using Mobile Data.

BT notified Phone and Broadband services were stopped 18 Dec 19.

Plusnet notified Phone was ready shortly afterwards at 05:53am.

Plusnet notified by SMS 03 Dec 19 that Broadband was due to become active by midnight 19 Dec 19 which I was previously advised above by @MisterW meant by 00:00 on the 19th i.e anytime up to midnight 18 Dec.

This has not happened. Broadband has been down for over 24 hours now.

My Account > Broadband > Broadband Order Tracker shows

"5 Activating your line
Broadband orders typically take a week to complete. Your broadband order should complete on {strCustActivationDate}. Please note that this date can sometimes change. We'll let you know if this happens."

Where the date should be, the variable is missing, unhelpfully showing {strCustActivationDate}, as below.

Broadband Order Tracker Member Centre Plusnet.png

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, the order isn't showing as having closed off on our supplier's systems yet.

I've just chased them up and they advised that it's a system issue but all the necessary work to activate the connection has been done so I've activated the account for you. 

We won't be able to guarantee a service until the order is closed off I'm afraid but it should be OK. I'll keep hold of this for you and keep checking until it's been sorted out. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
JJM
Grafter

Thanks @adamwalker

Plusnet account shows broadband active now you have manually activated.

However, I am unable to connect as you thought might be the case.

What's the latest on the order closing off on the suppliers systems?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@JJM  have you got a new PlusNet router or are you using your existing one ?

The Plusnet one will automatically configure itself with your account details but If its your existing one, you will need to change the username/password to your plusnet one ? details on the required settings are here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I don't have an update as yet but I'll continue to keep an eye on this today for you. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team