cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home and to Plusnet

FishmanUK

Moving home and to Plusnet

Hi,

I hope to be moving home probably end of June now and want to minimise broadband downtime.  I know the postcode and house number obviously, there is already an active phoneline being used by the current owners with another provider (talk talk) and have a number of questions. 

1) If I order online can I specify my installation date?, obviously getting the line switched before I move is not an option as it would disconnect the current owners service.

2) How much notice is the minimum?, I am guessing 10 working days which will probably mean after I move in as cant really order PlusNet until exchange of contracts.

3) If I take the PlusNet Hub 1 can I still buy a HG612 VDSL modem and use my own router if I decide?

4)  Am I likely to need an engineer visit for an updated master socket or anything?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
maybeicanhelp
Dabbler

Re: Moving home and to Plusnet

Hey!

1) I'd always say phone up to re-contract/house move. Try get through to the Customer Options Team. Discuss the situation with them and they may be able to get you a reasonable installation date if Open Reach can manage it.

2) Let them know ASAP, things can always go wrong on Open Reaches end. It should be a simple switch over in the cabinet but you never know.

3) Yes you can, but you'll need to login to the router admin panel and change your connection details to your Plusnet ones so you can Authenticate with Plusnet and get online.

4) An engineer always has to come out, because you need switching in the cabinet, but it's unlikely they'll need to visit your property but as with anything, things can happen. 

FishmanUK

Thanks for the info

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

In addition to the comments above...

1) If I order online can I specify my installation date?, obviously getting the line switched before I move is not an option as it would disconnect the current owners service.

Whilst you can't specify an activation date via the online signup process or via the sales process over the phone, if you contact us once your account is created we can adjust the date accordingly.

2) How much notice is the minimum?, I am guessing 10 working days which will probably mean after I move in as cant really order PlusNet until exchange of contracts.

At least 10 working days is what we need for taking over a working line, but if the current tenants ask their provider to cease the line (Due to them moving out) then we'll generally need to wait until the line is cancelled before placing your order.

To restart a line with standard broadband takes around 7 working days, with fibre it's around 14 working days and can often be delayed depending on engineer availability.

3) If I take the PlusNet Hub 1 can I still buy a HG612 VDSL modem and use my own router if I decide?

As long as your own modem/router is compatible with the type of service you're ordering that's fine. Once your order completes you'll need to set it up manually using the details here.

4)  Am I likely to need an engineer visit for an updated master socket or anything?

We shouldn't need an engineer to visit if there's a line already there whether it's active or recently ceased as the work should be able to be carried out externally.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
FishmanUK

Thanks again,

looks like I could be down to 4g on the phone for a while Sad

I will probably want to move my phone number (same area code but virginmedia).  Assuming this is possible i guess i need something from VM and to call you guys

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

You shouldn’t need anything from Virgin Media as, if we’re able to use your number at your new address, our number import order should notify them automatically.

If you can PM me your full new address and landline number, I’ll be happy to run a preliminary check and see if it’s possible though won’t be able to provide a guarantee until the order is placed and confirmed with our suppliers.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet