cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home & changing to fibre

sleepyjohn
Grafter

Moving home & changing to fibre

Just so happens I'll be moving home and changing from £7/month DSL to £5.77/month fibre at the same time.  I'll be moving next door to another mobile home about 12 metres away in a caravan park.  There's no fibre cable currently installed in my new home,  so there's going to have to be some digging in of new fibre cable across my new garden.  Nearby neighbours already have Plusnet fibre installed and working,  so I don't think we'll be talking about a very long run to the nearest manhole.

I've already ordered a contract change to fibre in order to take advantage of Plusnet's current £5.77/month and I've received  e-mail confirmation it will be implemented on 3rd August 2021.  But here's where the fun starts!

I'm currently stranded overseas and have been since March 2020 due to Corona flight cancellations and UK quarantine regulations,  so I'm not at either my old mobile home or my new home and have really no idea when I'll be back or what date to order for moving home.  At a guess, it could be March 2022.   Reason for ordering my DSL to fibre change now, is simply to take advantage of PN's monthly reduction from £7 to £5.77/month.   Consequently I haven't yet ordered a new fibre router and I'm waiting till I know when I'm going to be there to take delivery.

Clearly it's going to take more than the 1 week between now and 3rd August to dig new fibre cable in, and without a new router  it won't be possible to test a full end-to-end connection anyway, so I'm not in any hurry at all to see my new fibre connection up and running at the moment. 

My question here is whether PN will disconnect my old DSL and phone service on 3rd August when a new fibre service might have been expected to be connected, or will they be willing to keep those services going until we eventually get my fibre working and tested.

6 REPLIES 6
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Moving home & changing to fibre

@sleepyjohn  Does the new mobile home have a normal telephone line? That is all that is needed for an FTTC service (Fibre to the cabinet) There is no new fibre cable required, Plusnet do not supply full fibre connections yet. There is really not much point ordering a new service if you are not going to be there to use it and you can't have 2 services active (unless you pay for 2 accounts) What is actually available to order, have a look on this checker...

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

You may need to use the address checker if you don't have a phone number for the new home.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Account 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
sleepyjohn
Grafter

Dvorak,  OK,  I've tried to follow this new topic of mine to My Account and reply to it there but failed to find any sign of it,  so all I can do is reply to it here on Fibre.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @sleepyjohn

I've checked your order and I can see you've put through a product change online to upgrade to fibre at your existing address, rather tell us you're moving to a new address. To arrange a house move, I'd recommend calling our house moves team on 0800 013 2632 as this sadly can't be done online.

I echo @RealAleMadrid's comments though that it sounds like there's fibre cables straight to your new home, which isn't something we'd be able to provide as we aren't currently a full fibre (FTTP, fibre to the property) provider. Our house moves team should be able to tell you if that's the case.

With regards to the move of your topic that @dvorak has done, you don't need to do anything as it's now in the right place. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sleepyjohn
Grafter

Thanks RealAle,  no, there's no landline phone at my new home so no cable installed there at all.  Next door in my old home of course there's the old landline that's still serving my existing PN phone line and  DSL, although that long copper pair is abysmally slow because of errors,    BT's Wholesale Checker says FTTP on demand is available at my old home which is only about 12 meters across the patio from my new home.  A near neighbour has PN fibre working and if a yellow feed cable is anything to go by,  theirs is an FTTP connection.   In view of the poor state of the old copper cables on site,  I'm sure I wouldn't be happy with FTTC since my existing service is from a cabinet at least a mile down a rural road.

The reason I've ordered fibre even though I'm not there is simply because fibre is being promoted on a special deal that's cheaper per month than my current  DSL,  so no point paying extra for my old DSL even though I probably won't be able to use either of them.  

By ordering the fibre now,  hopefully all the preparation work will have been done and I'll be able to move in to a fully- working system.  This sounds to me a more reliable plan than the other alternative of ceasing PN completely until I have a certain return date.

I do need to run this plan by PN's Move Home group, and find out how it's going to affect the logistics of moving home and changing to fibre as all part of the same excercise.   My near neighbour that I mentioned above with the working PN fibre actually dug in his own short cable duct in across his lawn and with Wholesale's cooperation ran their fibre in it to the next-door mobile home where there was a Wholesale junction box that had been serving a previous owner's phone line.  

up

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@sleepyjohn  FTTP on Demand is not a viable option, costs thousands of pounds to install and maybe a year or so before you get it. You pay for own fibre link back to the exchange. Do neighbouring properties actually have a full fibre (FTTP) service or is it just FTTC? Could you post a screenshot of the checker result (hide the address or other details), for a property that has FTTP. It needs to show WBC FTTP in the left hand column (not FTTP on Demand) Don't know what you have ordered but it certainly isn't FTTP as Plusnet  cannot supply it, if it is available you will have to use another supplier