cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving everything to plusnet from BT - can't keep number?!?

SoggyMoggy

Moving everything to plusnet from BT - can't keep number?!?

Hi all, 

I've started the process of switching my parents over to Plusnet after 40 odd years with BT..

I was hoping that they could retain their phone number. They've never had any other number,  everyone knows it and is on all of their stationery etc. There is no way they want a new number really and we were hoping that as its not like they're moving house etc,  that it's won't be an issue. Sadly we've just received an email from plusnet saying what their new number would be but not explanation of why I'd needs changing? 

Not overly happy as we're really didn't see this being a problem. I've been with PlusNet for years and the customer service has always been great, not like BT

Many thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Moving everything to plusnet from BT - can't keep number?!?

Hi,

It should be possible to keep the same number, as your parents aren't moving so will still be connected to the same exchange. If they were and you aren't then it'll be a problem.

Hopefully a member of staff may pick this up and confirm.

My parents were in the same situation - (cor I am sounding old now!), back in the day before mobiles, and everyone had to use payphones or landline numbers. They still have the same landline number.

SoggyMoggy

Thanks Alex!

Have actually just spoken to Plusnet. The agent said that they offer a 100% guarantee that they will keep the number when moving from BT to Plusnet (particularly as the first owns the latter!). It just may have been that when I signed up, I just solely entered the postcode and not their current phone number. Rather than cancelling the whole order, I'm going to wait to speak to provisions tomorrow when they open and they will be able to amend my order and therefore keep the number. It will only delay the switch by a day or so but is a lot easier than cancelling and reentering all the order and redoing it!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @SoggyMoggy 

To save you calling us again, feel free to PM me the account username and landline telephone number and I’ll be happy to amend the order for you when I’m in the office tomorrow. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SoggyMoggy

Hi Gandalf,

That would be fantastic please! Will PM now Smiley

Thanks!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers @SoggyMoggy 

I'm cancelling the order we've placed and once that's gone through, I'll replace the order retaining their phone number. 

This should be later on today although it may take a day or so to cancel.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet