cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved to Plusnet, still no BB service, very slow to act, would really like some answers

cathprotech
Hooked

Moved to Plusnet, still no BB service, very slow to act, would really like some answers

Hi,

I took advantage of Plusnet offer last month and arrange my change over date to be the 8th April 2016. (I wanted 9th to coincide with the end of my BT contract but told it couldn't happen on Saturday).

On Friday morning 06:00 (8th April) my broadband and telephone from BT was turned off.

Plusnet promptly took over the telephone and sent me a text to confirm this at 09:00 same morning.

However, I have no broadband.

I have a very good idea why and explained this repeatedly in a number of calls to Plusnet on the Friday, but all I was told was that it will be live by midnight.

On Saturday 9th April, still no broadband. A call to Plusnet told me that an 'exception' had been raised by Openreach and that I would not get broadband until Tuesday 12th April (today). It was also explained that the problem was to do with Openreach records not showing correct routing which was exactly what I told them on Friday.

They arrange to pay compensation for 3 days so I could use BT-FON to get onto the internet.

Today, Tuesday I still have no internet and a chat with Plusnet informed me that BT-Wholesale (not Openreach) have completed my order but will now take Plusnet until Friday 14th to provide me with my broadband. (A later check on the ticket messages now says 15th April.

I have repeatedly given information to Plusnet so that may assist Openreach to change my service but somehow this has not filtered though.

I have just been on the telephone with a view to cancelling my complete order as Plusnet have failed to provide a service. This is currently on hold until Friday as I need to consult someone regarding compensation.

Is there anyone technical on here from Plusnet that can some how get my broadband order up and running as I don't believe the people I speak to at Plusnet understand and/or are not passing this information on to Openreach or BT-Wholesale.

The problem is that since January 2016 I have had 4 Openreach engineers trying to clear a fault of noise on the telephone line and continuous dropping of broadband, (approx 28 times per day). Pretty much each engineer said that the routing information held at Openreach was incorrect as the exchange was upgraded last summer and the system has not been updated causing them time in locating any fault.

When the fault was located it was a problem with the equipment I was connected to in the exchange but the first 3 engineers for whatever reason did not change the line over and instead adjusted various options.

The fourth engineer decided he would migrate my broadband to a different piece of equipment in the exchange and this cured my fault. The physical migration took just a few hours and the migration of the service took just a few minutes.

This was 2 weeks ago and up until Plusnet took over, I had an excellent service.

So, from what I can understand the only problem is that Openreach don't have the correct routing information to connect my service.

I have even passed on the name and telephone number of the Openreach engineer who migrated my service but I don't think this is being passed on to anyone.

My local exchange is very small, there is NO LLU so all equipment belongs to BT and I cannot understand why the change from BT to Plusnet (same company) has resulted in a loss of service.

Please can anyone technical at Plusnet help.

Sorry for the very long post.

Thanks

Martin

9 REPLIES 9
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Re: Moved to Plusnet, still no BB service, very slow to act, would really like some answers

Hi cathprotech,

I am sorry to hear about the issue you are facing with your order. I can see that you raised a ticket to our HLE team who will respond to you with in the next 5 working days after investigation into this.

As per my colleague who you were speaking to earlier today, she was correct in the information that she supplied you with that the order is stuck in our suppliers systems. For this they have raised what is called a bridge case to progress the order through there systems and this is due to complete on the 14/04/16. Once this is completed your service will be up and running and any gaps between your two services been connected will be adjusted on your first monthly direct debit. Up until the 14/04/16 there is nothing more that we can do apart from wait for the bridge case to complete.

cathprotech
Hooked

Re: Moved to Plusnet, still no BB service, very slow to act, would really like some answers

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your reply.

I seem to be told different things each time though.

Yesterday I was told that the supplier has completed and it was now with Plusnet which will take the further 2 or 3 days. (I was told on the chat it would be 14.04, but the corresponding ticket from the same person says it will be 15.04).

It would be nice to know what the problem has been from the start.

The salt in the wound is that my BT contract was cancelled before the end because the change over couldn't happen over the weekend, so I also incurred penalties from BT for what now appears to be no reason what so ever!

I was assured in a past communication with Plusnet that there would be NO changes to any of the equipment and the change over would be seamless.

I can understand that some things are out of Plusnet's control, but my contract is with Plusnet and not with BT, BT-Wholesale or Openreach and I cannot contact any of these directly.

It would be nice to know exactly what the problem has been and why it would take so long to fix. As there should be NO physical changes made and all connections-disconections-routing etc will be carried out over software, why would it take so long?

There is also a lot of waiting, no one will chase anything because they are waiting for something to happen rather than actively checking on progress. On Friday I chased up 3 times knowing that there was a problem yet I was told each time, 'they have until midnight'. Of course midnight came and went and so did the weekend where NOTHING can be done rather than have chased it up on Friday.

I explained previously what the suspected problem was and even I could have called the Openreach engineer and ask him to look at his notebook for my routing information, but I am not allowed to and even if I did, no one would have listened to me.

Sorry for the rant, but there are a lot of things to consider from my side which make it quite important to have a working broadband service.

I also find it strange that I have had replies via email today knowing that I don't have a broadband service and paying (once again) for BT-FON access which may I add is poor at best!

Thanks

Martin

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can certainly understand your frustration towards this as I would be in the same situation. The bridge case is in place because of a system related issue with our suppliers with the order. Once this clears on the 14/04/16 the service will go live. The reason for receiving the date of the 15/04/16 is just because of the fact the order can take up to midnight on the day to complete.

Unfortunately while there is a bridge case open with our suppliers there is nothing that we can do to check up or chase for updates. With this case we will not be able to obtain an update until the 15/04/16 from our suppliers but we will be able to see if the order completes during the day on the 14/04/16.

cathprotech
Hooked

Hi Ben,

Just thought I would share an update with you as I am now back home after working away.

My broadband did NOT come on as promised and took almost 1 more week.

It was eventually active on Wednesday 20th April, but it didn't end there.

To get on broadband my wife connected a spare router, which connected to the internet and all seemed well. I thought it was strange though as I had not set that router up for Plusnet and it still had my BT login details.

Anyway, it didn't last long as on Friday 22nd April not only did we lose broadband but telephone also, and guess what! Yes it was Friday and nothing was done.

Monday 25th all was restored but the router would not log on. My wife changed the router back to the first one and hey presto it connected and so far we are now ok.

So, it seems that the short 2 day period that we had broadband was actually using BT login details. I wonder how this is possible!

My latest problems are being charged line rental when I have already paid for the year and the fact I cannot actually download an itemised bill (only a summery) and even that is just a screen print version.

I must honestly say, Plusnet is an embarrassment. All the advertisements about no compromise in service and UK call centres makes me wonder what the hell this county is becoming when I find myself preferring Indian call centres to UK based as they seem to understand and care more than in Sheffield.

Cheers

Martin

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

OK I am just going to have a look through your account now and see what is happening with your Line rental saver and amend this for you and then I will reply soon

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Martin,

OK so I have looked into this for you and this is with our billing team at the moment to correct the error for you. Once this current bill has been processed we will refund the £16.99 that should not be on there.

cathprotech
Hooked

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your assistance.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that the charging for line rental has already been dealt with, I was only making a statement  to highlight the fact that problems continue.

I will mention one thing though, so far in favour of Plusnet.

My speed has always been good with a connection of around 22meg and throughput around 19meg.

I do enjoy a bit of gaming and BT placed me on Fast with interleave off. I got gaming pings of around 35ms.

I now find that on speed tests I am getting similar speeds but the ping has dropped considerably. On most speedtests (speedtest.net) choosing different servers around the country I am now getting pings as low as 1ms (to Nottingham) which I find hard to believe!

I hope nothing changes with that!

Don't suppose you can help on a technical issue.

I am using my BT-Home Hub 5 which is working great. However, the BT-Wifi is still enabled. (I have checked this by logging on to it). Is there anyway I can turn it off?

I have tried a full reset but didn't do anything. I'm not keen on BT customers using my internet. I know it's only a small limited bandwidth but I'm sure Plusnet wouldn't appreciate it either!

Thanks

Martin

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@cathprotech

Hi Martin,

Your question about turning off the BT Openzone woukd be best asked on the routers forum.  I have limited experience with HH devices, but I believe there us a user configurable option to disable the BTOZ ssid.

Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cathprotech
Hooked

No problem Kevin.

Just thought I would ask on here.

Thanks

Martin