Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Advice, Moving from Virgin Media

FIXED
cpressland

Modem Advice, Moving from Virgin Media

Hi Everybody,

I've just switched from VM to Plus.net and my intention is to continue to use my EdgeRouter X rather than the Plus.net Router. but I just wanted to confirm if I need to order an Openreach ECI / Huawei modem or if Openreach will bring one with them when I get the new line installed?

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Modem Advice, Moving from Virgin Media

Fix

Openreach don't supply the modem any more, and you can't order one from PlusNet. They are available on a well known auction site. PN now supply the Hub One (similar to the BT Home hub 5) which is a combined modem/router and, no, it's not possible to configure it in modem only(bridge) mode.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cpressland

Understood, thanks, I'll order one from that popular auction site.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

If you wanted a brand new VDSL modem there are a couple out there https://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/store/modems/vdsl-fibre-modems/ .

There's also a few modem/routers out there that will operate in bridge mode. I use a TG589n in the office bridged to my firewall, works fine.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cpressland

Thanks - I was originally considering buying the Draytek over the Openreach modems but after trolling the forums here for a while I'm not convinced it's worth the extra expense. Do you think there are any notable benefits for using third party hardware over vanilla openreach hardware?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Third party devices generally use slightly newer chipsets than what's in the Openreach modems.

The Openreach modems also won't get any support (firmware updates) for much longer.