Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Guaranteed Line Access Speed - ADSL+2

McT
Grafter

Re: Minimum Guaranteed Line Access Speed - ADSL+2

@Townman wrote:

....... however a migration to fibre might be fraught given the incorrect cabinet data.

If only! My cabinet is not due to get fibre until March 2018 at the earliest, and maybe not until December 2019.

@ejs Yes, you're quite right about ATM and IP headers. I remember thinking, in the 1980s probably, when I was a network engineer and having to mug up on Asynchronous Transfer Mode, that it seemed incredibly wasteful of network bandwidth. Those were the days of SNA and even TCP/IP was rare in the UK where bandwidth was much more expensive than the US.

The Up/Down error stats are correct - they were cut and pasted. To answer Townman's question about line up time - it was 28 days.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Ah the days of SNA - recall them well!  Along with OSLAN, initially thick, followed by thin all to be replaced by this silly star wired Ethernet stuff! Cheesy

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@McT wrote:

The Up/Down error stats are correct - they were cut and pasted. To answer Townman's question about line up time - it was 28 days.

But what modem/router is it? Copying and pasting is of no help when the device itself reports them the wrong way around. I think it's a known bug with some Asus devices. It also seems unlikely for there to really be no errors on the downstream yet a few (for 28 days) on the upstream. But for 28 days, those counts are negligible anyway.

McT
Grafter

@ejs wrote:

.......... when the device itself reports them the wrong way around.

Interesting thought, but likely? I don't know. The current router is an HG533, but I've just swapped it for an HG633 and we'll see in a few days.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi again,

Just checking back in. If you'd like me to dig in to the estimates further please send me a private message with the line details and address.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
McT
Grafter

@Chris  I've sent you a PM.

The line has been up for 4 days now with a different router:

Upstream line rate (kbit/s)            1043
Downstream line rate (kbit/s)        18432
Line standard                                ADSL2+
Channel type                                 Interleaved
Upstream SNR (dB)                      7.1
Downstream SNR (dB)                  5.3
Upstream line attenuation (dB)      9
Downstream line attenuation (dB)  17.1
Upstream output power (dBmV)     9.9
Downstream output power (dBmV) 21.3

There have been no errors or discarded packets recorded. The D/S SNR is slightly better and the D/S output power is significantly different. D/S speed remains the same.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks, I've checked your PM and been through everything we can from here relating to the address and it does appear that unfortunately the current estimates are 2-6Mbs. However that's based on address as we're unable to check on the phone number as it's not on the BT network.

I'm afraid we're not able to update line records for a line that doesn't belong to us, so that would fall with your current provider. They should be able to raise a 'tags' query or query the line data with their suppliers to ensure this is up to date and correct.

With the attenuation of 17db and the rest of the line stats below, I can't see that you'd have any problems with the speed on your line.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
McT
Grafter

OK, thanks for looking into this. I'm back to square one now - I can't risk switching to another ISP in case a fault does develop again, and the chances of TT customer service reps having a script to follow when asked to raise a "tags" query are of course nil. And if there's no script to follow there can't be a problem, right? Angry

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry that we really can't be of much more help. Sad

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Given your line stats, in your situation I'd risk the swap and let your new ISP sort out the data record issues.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Stuart_smiles1

Hi,

Have a look at the talktalk forum as the people (OCE's) are able to do some more technical things rather than just read the script. 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/ 

When you register, if you haven't already, then they will ask for you to fill in profile details so that they can use your info to verify who you are when responding to your queries. 

It may be worthwhile to try to resolve the documentation issues prior to doing any move as they could (perhaps) resolve some of the issues prior to the move, if that gets your reference info correct then perhaps the guarantees would go up as well, and or get someone to look at the line and make any modifications needed. 

It may be that it doesn't help, but at least you will have tried whilst it as under talk-talk's control, and as such it may mean that your move could be smoother if the documents had recently been checked and updated. 

Other options: 

You could also order a new install of a line and then cancel the existing line once the new one is in, if the line doesn't work out as planned, (it would cost install fee of 99 quid, but you wouldn't sacrifice your existing connection whilst waiting for the swapping over etc and getting a new connection. 

Other option is an osprey 2 device from ee which does quick mobile internet & wifi with a 30 day notice contract, could tide you over for a relatively small figure whilst you are in the swap over phase, and see if they can get such service, the internet is really quick if you have good service. 

good luck and hope you get sorted. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Welcome to the forums.  That's a bit of a bold first post...

It is not a matter of "Just reading the script" (which could be seen as being offensive) it is a matter of an ISP being limited to accessing the data made available by BTw / BTOR to any ISP looking at taking over a line.  Be assured that the staff around here are NOT script jockeys.

In this case TT might be able to deliver more information as it is they who presently own the line and therefore have access to more information about the line that do Plusnet.  As you suggest, at the moment TT are the only people who can correct the BT line data, but given's the OP's experience with their customer service, that might never happen.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Townman wrote:

As you suggest, at the moment TT are the only people who can correct the BT line data, but given's the OP's experience with their customer service, that might never happen.

You are correct. It will not happen, that's one reason I came to PN from TT. The service at TT is at best appalling.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
McT
Grafter

I've been out of the country since my last post. I'll reconsider my options when I return next month.

In the meantime, thanks to everyone for their advice and comments.

Oh, and BTW, TT Customer Service (now there's a misnomer!) absolutely follow scripts 100% of the time. I know from the bitter experience of 30-40 calls to them over the past few years. It also appears that the content of each call is not logged - every call is treated as a new issue and the whole sorry story must be repeated each time.

McT
Grafter

An update for anyone who is interested:

I managed to get through to Openreach (by pretending to be a business customer!) and they were initially very helpful - confirming that the routing info for my line was wrong and promising to correct it. Whether they did or not I don't know, because they never came back to me. A month later, in September I think, a sister cabinet appeared next to mine, a year ahead of schedule. Yeah, fibre!

My postal address is somewhat fluid, as I live on school grounds and there is no street name in the address. By leaving out the building name, but keeping the school name and the correct postcode (there are several different postcodes within the school), I was able to order a new fibre connection from Plusnet and avoid the miserable MGLAS linked to my full address and the original line. For the past four months I have enjoyed download speeds of 74Mbps and uploads of 16.5 Mbps.

However 2 weeks ago it all went a bit sour when Plusnet's (hard coded in the router) DNS servers became unreachable. It's still not fixed - but that's another story......