cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location of Master Socket

cbcwebsite
Dabbler

Location of Master Socket

I have been advised by Openreach that my Master Socket can not go where I want it - it will probably end up high in a public area and then extended somewhere ourselves. This means I can't have any hardware plugged in anywhere near. Any advice on doing this?

Can router be used in an extension socket?

Am I better using RJ11 cable from master socket to wherever router ends up?

Can I move the Master socket myself to desired location? 

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Location of Master Socket

Is there a logical reason why they can't locate it where you want it? If not, and seeing as you can use extension cables to get it there I assume not I would go back and rattle the Openreach cage until they do as you want. 

The Test socket in the Master Socket is where the interface lies so you are not allowed to touch anything upstream of the Master Socket back box.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Welcome to our community forums @cbcwebsite

Instead of using an extension cable between your master socket and your router, I'd recommend using an ethernet cable between your router and your devices as the connection would likely be better in this way.

Broadband signal can deteriorate the longer it has to travel to reach your router.

If your devices connect over WiFi, I'd also recommend looking into buying a set of third party powerline adapters to extend the wireless signal around your property. Although this would be subject to the quality of the electricity wiring.

With regards to moving your master socket yourself, I'm sure it's certainly possible but I'm afraid it's not something we recommend you to do.

I hope this helps.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
szaman81
Grafter

Roughly a year ago what I done was add an extension by using high quality cat 7 cable by opening up the master socket and doing the installation from the inside.

I learnt it from this nice gentlemen called Vince on youtube.

Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xwTOl3PBKw

Other useful videos also available from Vince

cbcwebsite
Dabbler

This is a church building so fairly large. Openreach won't install in our preferred location as it's a Portacabin so classed as temporary and we have to pay for the install. They will only add the master socket within about 3 metres of THEIR most convenient point of entry.

Powerline is not a starter due to the way the electrics are.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@cbcwebsite wrote:

This is a church building so fairly large. Openreach won't install in our preferred location as it's a Portacabin so classed as temporary and we have to pay for the install.

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.

To be exceedingly technical installation to the Portacabin would be installation to a "Non-Served-Premises" (NSP) - see https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=LNo28YEt6b0ml...

They would normally be uninhabited / unmanned,... or not comply with conditions as defined by local councils as habitable, including having toilet and welfare facilities.

A survey fee is charged whether or not the service is taken

I've got this tee-shirt in trying to do something similar to yourself - get a line into an out building in a private residence converted into office space.  It took 3+ months to get BTOR to get an act together!

Powerline is not a starter due to the way the electrics are

Have you actually tried it?  The more modern devices (e.g. Develo) are reported to function even over a 3 phase supply, so long as all circuits come back to the same supply line.  It is worth a try!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.