Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Plusnet - OFCOM

FIXED
SRB2016
Dabbler

Leaving Plusnet - OFCOM

If I want to leave Plusnet, due to the forthcoming price increases, do I have to pay the cancellation fees, or is the information on the OFCOM site that following an increase users may leave within 30 days of notification of the price increase, without doing so, applicable?

52 REPLIES 52
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Leaving Plusnet - OFCOM

the cancellation fee remains if you go to an LLU supplier or just cancel

TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 3

Hi SRB2016, I am happy to confirm that when we sent the notices out that it advised that if you decide to end your contract as a result of the price increase then you have 14 days from the date you receive the notice to end without occurring any exit fees or charges. If you need any further help then you can contact me on this forum.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

@TonyMC

Except the cancellation charge as has been stated many times on here

Also from the previous notification - which I doubt has changed - which isn't what you posted

We hope you're happy with your products and services but if you do decide to leave because of these changes, we won't apply any early termination charges. All we ask is that you call us to tell us within 30 days of getting this email and give us 14 days' notice.^

SRB2016
Dabbler

Thanks Tony,

Is the 14 days period counted from the time the announcement was made here on the plusnet site - or will customers receive an e-mail notification?

TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 3

Thanks for your speedy reply, to clarify, there is a total of 44 days during this period, 30 days for the notice to be sent & received & then 14 days once you have received it to cancel without any exit charges, just the cessation fee as you mentioned. I hope this helps to clarify the situation.

SRB2016
Dabbler

Ah, so there IS a charge. I'll just wait a few months until my contracts ends. OFCOM should make that a little bit clearer on their site.

Thanks

Oldjim
Resting Legend

but you will still have the cancellation charge unless you migrate to a non LLU supplier

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@SRB2016 wrote:

Is the 14 days period counted from the time the announcement was made here on the plusnet site - or will customers receive an e-mail notification?

We'll email all affected customers.

@SRB2016 wrote:
Ah, so there IS a charge.

Previous the situation was as @Oldjim said, but the cessation fee isn't always charged. It depends on how the services with us are stopped. More information on this can be found Here.

But we would waive the Early Termination Fees.

I'm going to ask for clarification on this, as I believe the emails currently being sent to customer state the following:

Prices, content and terms may change at any time during your contract. We'll tell you about important changes in advance, and if a change is detrimental you'll be able to end your contract without any fees.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend

as is often the case the Cancellation Policy is in a muddle https://www.plus.net/help/legal/terms/

10. Ending your agreement

10.1. Where our agreement ends (even after the expiry of any minimum term) you may be charged a "cessation fee" as set out in the Price Guide where:

10.1.1. you cancel your service without transferring providers;

10.1.2. you transfer to a service where: (i) the provider uses their own network to provide the service, or (ii) the provider uses BT's network like us, but they have their own equipment in your local exchange (often called Local Loop Unbundling); or

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Further to my response yesterday, I've had a response from our legal and marketing team advising that as it’s in the context of being able to leave their minimum term contract without paying fees the cessation fee would still be charged if applicable.

This is because it's directly in the context of contract fees, and the cessation fee isn’t dependent on a contract.

@SRB2016 wrote:

Ah, so there IS a charge. I'll just wait a few months until my contracts ends.

The cessation fee would be applicable under the normal circumstances whether you decide to leave due to the price rise or wait out the minimum term of the contract unfortunately.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
SRB2016
Dabbler

So.... does that mean if moving broadband to another provider there won't be a charge for cessation by your provider, as a broadband service isn't actually stopping on the line, simply changing to another provider? Really a section on this site saying "We've upped the price, if you want to leave this is what you need to know" would be very helpful. All I want to know is, if I cancel, due to the price rise and move elsewhere, will I be facing a charge to do so? The OFCOM site says customers shouldn't, but the t&c on here are as clear as mud.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix

@SRB2016 wrote:

All I want to know is, if I cancel, due to the price rise and move elsewhere, will I be facing a charge to do so?

It would be dependant on which provider you move to (Or more precisely what sort of lines they use, e.g. BT Lines or MPF lines)

If the line is migrated away but remains on the BT Network, the cessation fee would not be applicable.

However if the line is migrated away but the new provider uses MPF lines (Such as Sky/Talktalk) the cessation charge would be applicable.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
SRB2016
Dabbler

Many thanks Harry for the quick reply - yes, it would be moving back to BT. 

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Note that Plusnet do not make any money out of this cessation fee - they just pass on the charge levied on them by BT Wholesale.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)