Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Plusnet - OFCOM

FIXED
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Leaving Plusnet - OFCOM

Oh my, you are all so determined to have the last (wrong) word. Every ISP in the UK that uses the Openreach network to reach homes (what we used to call POT) is taking advantage of LLU even though they might try to pretend otherwise. Some of these ISPs (including Plusnet) have their own equipment in some of the local exchanges but that is irrelevant. Please don't insult me by telling me how to suck eggs, I learnt how to do that over 70 years ago!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@bobpullen,

For the sake of interest (and clarity) can you please comment here?  I known PlusNet had a trial (?) with LLU which was somewhat problematic...

For that programme did PlusNet deploy their own systems in those exchanges or was the service 'rented' off one of the other LLU providers?

Does PlusNet still provision over LLU for any new provides?

Does PlusNet still service any of their customers via LLU providers?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Just a note for everybody else: If you are reading this and like me have just found out about Plusnet's inflation busting price increase and don't want to pay it - you don't have to. Don't worry about all the technical jargon on here - it's completely irrelevant. Under OFCOM rules you are entitled to change to another ISP of your choice at no cost to you. The process is simple and will be handled by the new ISP. and in most cases It is entirely automated and your service should not even be interrupted. Do make sure though that you tell Plusnet that is what you are going to do (you don't have to tell them who you are moving to) and ignore any dire warnings from them. They will obviously try to keep you as a customer and might make you an offer in order to keep you which is fine of course. The thing to remember is, it's your choice.

Kimberlin
Rising Star

To be honest, contacting plusnet doesn't bother me and I'm not one to listen to any inducements to stay.

As I say, Plusnet can't offer the deal that BT are offering and therefore there is no reason for me to stay. I'll just tell them I'm moving back to BT and they can wait for the notification from BT once the switch over starts.

Never understood why people have so much difficulty moving providers. It's hardly that much of a chore, especially when you don't even use the pointless landline chucked in with the service. Mind you, the last time I left BT to come to Plusnet, I used their livechat service and the guy in the foreign call centre I was conversing with said he couldn't accept my online notification of notice. I told him to stop telling lies and to remember I would have a transcript of the conversation at the end which I could show to BT to reaffirm my intention. He just typed back 'oh yes, thanks' and I ended the conversation and the switch to Plusnet went without a hitch.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Kimberlin wrote:

especially when you don't even use the pointless landline chucked in with the service.

If you have FTTP then you can ask for the landline to be cancelled.

If you have ADSL or FTTC then you obviously need it.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@custos wrote:

Please don't insult me by telling me how to suck eggs, I learnt how to do that over 70 years ago!

I'm sure you did learn how to suck eggs a long time ago - pity you've not learnt about the difference between LLU and connections using BTw.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have a look at the side menu on https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/llu

You have BT Wholesale (who Plusnet and BT Retail use along with many other ISPs).

Under that you have LLU Operators and listed under there are the LLU suppliers.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Kimberlin
Rising Star

Sadly, no FTTP at this house!

FTTC only. I haven't used a landline at my home for about 8 years. I got fed up of sitting in the armchair at night and the phone ringing 4 times an hour from spammers and family I didn't want to talk to lol! At least with mobile phones, you can block just about everybody, switch off voicemail and basically ignore everyone at your leisure!

No, both Plusnet and BT provide me with adequate FTTC broadband at my house, currently 40mbps with Plusnet but hoping on my next switch to BT, to get around 52mbps. It's pointless me taking out a plan advertising 72mbps as even on BT's line checker, my line will only achieve around 50mbps anyway.