cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jumped ship from Virgin - what am I letting myself in for

nickclack
Dabbler

Jumped ship from Virgin - what am I letting myself in for

Been a Virgin Media Broadband only customer for 6 years, ran out of patience with them and with a Small Claims Court pending against them I have decided to jumpship to Plusnet.

Ordered the 78Mb Unlimited Fibre Extra on the 28th, order seems to have stalled, or perhaps I am impatient 😉

There seems to be a lot of line checking at the moment....... waiting for a green light and then despatch of the modem.

Just wondered when I am to expect line check to be done and a modem, plus live date.

I am wanting to use an ASUS Dark Knight N66U with the supplied modem, hope that will work?

Apologies for the technical, what I am looking for is some indication when I can see this being set up.

Thanks

Tags (1)
20 REPLIES 20
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Jumped ship from Virgin - what am I letting myself in for

I'm just looking into your order now.

With regards to the router I'm not sure if you can use it in a Bridge mode style setup but I'm sure somebody else will be able to confirm.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@nickclack

The Plusnet supplied device is a combined modem/router which does not support bridge mode. (that is the Plusnet Hub One must setup the PPPoE session). Probably best to source your own VDSL2 modem/router which dees enable bridge mode.

Or as it is the same as a HH5 try this https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Configure-Home-Hub-5-as-modem-only/m-p/1438417#M...

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
nickclack
Dabbler

Hi, I have seen a number of posts whilst I was checking out Plusnet as suitable that say you can use the Hub One with the ASUS, so I am not looking to buy anything extra thanks

nickclack
Dabbler

Thanks for the input guys, I am really impressed with the very fast feedback and assistance already. 

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

The subject of alternatives to the standard Plusnet router pops up often times. I always find myself coming back to this thread to grab the link that SpendLess shared that goes to a great thread on the kitz site.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Best-Non-Plusnet-Router/m-p/1366214#M1258

Lots of info in the link on the kitz website if you are looking on getting yourself a router that is much more powerful than the standard one you get when signing up.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

nickclack
Dabbler

@MatthewWheeler wrote:

I'm just looking into your order now.

With regards to the router I'm not sure if you can use it in a Bridge mode style setup but I'm sure somebody else will be able to confirm.

Matthew, I have just had an email saying the 'Home Phone' service will be available on 3/3/2017. Thank you for your assistance, does that mean the whole broadband service and router will be with me then? Also I see my existing telephone number has changed, why is this? Thanks Again

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@nickclack That's just for the phone line. Once the records update after tomorrow we'll get your broadband order placed.

In terms of the number its not possible for us to bring it over I'm afraid.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
nickclack
Dabbler

Matthew, no worries about the number, as we were not using the old BT number we issued. So just to clarify, once ordered, will the line be active and we just need to take delivery of the modem?

Are we looking at next week now for this?

Thanks

nickclack
Dabbler

This is a joke right "Your broadband order should complete on 23rd Mar 2017 - After 12pm. " just had this in support message, looks like I am cancelling. Nearly four weeks to set up fibre for a new customer who already has a BT line.
Where are my oars, I need to get back to better the devil you know good ship Virgin!!
nickclack
Dabbler

Okay, a week and nothing from Support, nothing from anyone at Plusnet despite a number of private messages and support tickets.

First time customer, ordered 78Mb Unlimited Fibre on the 28th Feb, with existing BT line. Plusnet took £55 from my bank on the 28th and I waited and waited for the next stages. @MatthewWheeler got involved and the order got moving, then I was told there was a problem with the line!. Waited and waited again and given a new number, no explanation!. Many unanswered support tickets later I am told that the broadband order will be active on the 23rd March!!

I never thought this broadband would take so long and there has been no feedback or explanations, is it me or do Plusnet seem to issue Support with 'treacle slippers'.

So is nearly a month to set up Fibre with an existing line 'normal'

Also having stumped up £55 upfront for the 'privilege' of chasing around these support dalek's I still am having to wait another 2 weeks. I have had no indication when I am to receive my Hub, again something I presume is paid for out of the £55.

Cherry on the top of this is that I see that my next bill is going to be on the 3rd April. Is the £55 not including the first months service, which if active after the 23rd my next bill should be the 23rd April?

Perhaps support could kick off the slippers for a few moments to update the above. If not, I have a contact at OFTEL who is as fast as 'tut whippet' and I am sure they can get some answers

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I apologise for the delay in activating your fibre. We requested tomorrow for the service to go live but this was pushed back due to engineer availability in your area I'm afraid.

Your router should be ordered automatically a few days before your service is due to activate.

Once your service goes live you should get a pro rata discount on your next invoice because your phone and broadband services were activated at different times.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
nickclack
Dabbler

Anoush, I thought the connection was done remotely with Openreach, why an engineer? We are 50 yrds from the cabinet and the BT line is existing into the house. Can you clarify what an engineer is for plese?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

An engineer is required to complete work at the cabinet.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

At the moment your telephone line goes direct through the old cabinet to the exchange - there is no connection on your line from the old cabinet to the new fibre cabinet. The engineer has to make that connection.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)