cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue With Order

theresa1986

Issue With Order

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had any advice on this situation.

I placed an order for Fibre Broadband last week and as I do not have a compatible phone line we arranged for the engineer to come on 1st September to install this.   I received the confirmation email and text, then phoned the customer services number to ask if this could be installed any earlier as I have medical conditions which require a phone line.   I was advised this could not happen so I agreed for the installation on the 1st and informed the representative that I would not be able to accept a later install date due to various factors - he advised me that as the appointment had been confirmed with OpenReach it would not change and he would note on my record that I have medical issues so if an earlier appointment became available they would contact me.

Yesterday I was informed that it had been changed to the 7th.   I phoned customer services again to explain why this was not possible and was informed that is the earliest appointment OpenReach can provide.   They are now denying my appointment for the 1st was ever confirmed, despite me having evidence of this.   The rep I spoke to said she would escalate to her manager but he was unavailable to speak to and that nothing further could be done as OpenReach have said they cannot get out to the property sooner.   I then phoned a competitor who said I could have an OpenReach engineer on the 2nd or 5th - I asked them to confirm that with OpenReach which they did while I was on the line.

Does anyone know who I should speak to regarding this - I have been told a manager will call me back at some point today but that they cannot resolve this.   All I want is for my original installation date of the 1st to be reinstated, and if this is not possible for me to be given one of the available slots on the 2nd or the morning of the 5th.

In case it affects anything, the various factors which are preventing me accepting the 7th or later as an installation date:

- Medical conditions which flare up suddenly and so I need a phone line in the property asap

- New job starting on the 5th, cannot take any annual leave for at least 3 months

- Am out of the country anyway between the 7th and 9th

If anyone can advise on the best department to speak to please let me know - I joined plusnet after having assurances over the phone that my appointment would not be delayed once it was confirmed by OpenReach and now I am being told they cannot do anything they originally committed to.

Thanks

Theresa

12 REPLIES 12
witchdoctor
Dabbler

Re: Issue With Order

Hi Theresa.

I share your frustration. which prompts me to relate my experience with fibre broadband in general and Plusnet in particular, the details of which may be of use to anyone in a similar situation.
In July 2016, due to health issues, I was obliged to move into sheltered community housing in a new area of Cornwall..
I am a terminally ill pensioner, almost totally housebound and reliant on the Internet for survival, for example; shopping online, medication prescriptions, financial transactions and so on..I was recommended and advised to take out a contract for fibre broadband with Plusnet to enable me to continue with these tasks and family communications etc.
As soon as I had taken up residence, I requested connection to Plusnet and followed all instructions such as await delivery of router and further messages instructing me to plug the device in.. That was a month ago and having had no such messages I decided to contact Plusnet Support Chat to ask when I would be connected.. It transpires that there was a ‘failed’ condition at my home and was told that contrary to advice, fibre was unavailable and would probably remain so for the foreseeable future..As you can appreciate, I was rather disappointed but the advisor suggested that to get some kind of connection I should opt for a downgraded package until such time as fibre is available.. This I have done as any connection is better than none at all but at the time of writing I have had no acknowledgment that this will happen.. The Plusnet people have been courteous and helpful thus far but communications are slow and I still have no idea as to if and when I will ever be connected..I just feel that given my health, disabilities and life expectancy issues that a little extra service and effort could be made to enable my end of life situation and quality of life prospects to be available to me. My social support workers, bless them, are doing what they can to help but are at a loss as to how to proceed.. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you for reading.
Tony.

geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Really sorry to hear about the problems your having.

Sadly at the moment most UK phone & broadband providers are reliant on Openreach for carrying out work like this and sadly they sometimes have issues that cause appointments to be delayed this is something that would affect your order regardless of the isp. 

Sadly plusnet is very much at the mercy of openreach

James

theresa1986

Hi James,

Yes, PlusNet are blaming it on OpenReach but other providers have earlier appointments available with OpenReach, so it's not that there aren't appointments available, it's that for some reason I am not being offered them.

I am just frustrated as at the moment I am in limbo - I can't accept the date they have changed the appointment to but I am not being offered anything else.   Really not a good first impression.

Theresa

geek26
Aspiring Pro

The delay may well be for a reason then in this case have Plusnet explained why the appointment has been changed has there be a mention of any problems with the order?

theresa1986

Well the email and ticket I received said 

We noticed that we had not placed both orders together and therefore we have replaced them in order to get you up and running as soon as possible.  

But the customer service rep I spoke to today said the engineers had not confirmed the original appointment of 1st September (which is incorrect) and that I never had an actual appointment booked!

To me it looks like they booked something incorrectly, cancelled it and rebooked but this now means OpenReach are only offering the later appointment.

Theresa

geek26
Aspiring Pro

Yep I would agree with you there it may have been rebooked because of the separate orders.

theresa1986

Yep - I am just waiting for the manager to call me back - he said he would within 4 hours so I have about another 10 mins otherwise I will need to call Customer Services again.

I understand they may have made an error when they booked the engineer, but that doesn't help me if I can't be available on the day they want to attend

geek26
Aspiring Pro

Yes i fully understand that

Hopefully you will get that call back soon

witchdoctor
Dabbler

Thanks to all for responding to both our messages..I now understand some of the issues although a clearer explanation and suggestions from Plusnet would have been helpful. Hopefully this thread is monitored and further details will be forthcoming..

I'm in Cornwall. Allegedly the part of the UK with the fastest internetz in the country but it's like Third World out here.. There are cave-dwelling terrorists in the mountains of Pakistan who are able to upload videos to the net with no problems but don't get me started! 

One is trying to be patient and understanding but the overiding emotion is one of utter frustration.. I am struggling on a dongle here with speeds less than dialup used to be. I just hope we all live long enough to get connected one day soon..

Keep our respective chins up and remember never to bleed in front of the men 😉

I'll monitor this thread for developments.. Hope you get some success Theresa.

Tony

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi witchdoctor,

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding your delay with your services.

I have looked through your account and the orders and can see that these we're delayed due a capacity issue which then resulted in the orders failing. I can see that now you have downgraded to ADSL and just waiting for you new line install for your telephone. I can see that this is now going ahead for the 13/09/2016 between 8am-1pm and your broadband is due to activate on the same day but can take up to midnight to complete.

Because of the delays that you have experienced I have refunded your new line install of £49.99 back to the card in which you paid your initial payment on. These funds will take up to 14 days to show and if they do not appear in the allocated time in which I have set then please get in contact with us as soon as possible.

witchdoctor
Dabbler

Yes,  downgraded to ADSL.. Engineer been, fitted and connected new phone socket..etc etc.. I got a text. telling me I was all up and running, set up router as per.instructions...Orange light been flashing non stop ever since..Checked everything; reset; reboot.. No joy.Still no broadband...Been waiting since July..I assume I'm paying for this 'service' ?

As I've said before, I'm a housebound pensioner, I can't afford to wait in a queue on a PAYG cellphone to speak to a human to sort this out..How about you getting in touch and letting me know what's going on?

"Plusnet. We'll do you proud"

Yeah right.

Tony

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I can't afford to wait in a queue on a PAYG cellphone to speak to a human to sort this out.

The one bit of good news, is that you canSmiley It's an 0800 number and they are now free to call, even on PAYG phones.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.