Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is BT lying or is Plusnet having me on?

FIXED
Layoes
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: Is BT lying or is Plusnet having me on?

I'm wondering if I've misunderstood how it works.  I'm now connected to Plusnet and the broadband speed checkers show me as getting about 6mbps download speed. On my broadband details from Plusnet it says the following:

• Product: Unlimited Fibre
  • Estimated Download Range: 24 - 31Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 4 - 6Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 5Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 37Mbps

I know it takes time to settle, but why is it saying I have 37mbps, when the speed checkers show 6mbps? 

Any help to understand this will be appreciated!

Layoes
Dabbler

• Product: Unlimited Fibre
    • Estimated Download Range: 24 - 31Mbps
    • Estimated Upload Range: 4 - 6Mbps
    • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 20.5Mbps
    • Current Line Speed (Download): 37Mbps
  • Had to correct this as I copied it and when I pasted it it reduced the guaranteed speed to 5mbps!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @Layoes and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm really sorry to see your speeds are slow.

I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing the cause for this, but I can see your router's getting only 6mbps when for your length of line at around 1km, you should be able to get the speeds shown on BT's availability checker.

I'd recommend raising a fault to us at faults.plus.net and in the notes box at the end, please add your availability for an engineer visit. The available timeslots are weekdays (and occasionally Saturday's) 8am to 1pm, or 1pm to 6pm.

This means we'll be able to arrange an engineer straight away once we've picked the fault up.

Feel free to post back after you've raised the fault and we'll be happy to make sure that is picked up as soon as we can.

With regards to the current line speed showing at 37mbps, this is still stuck on the default speed for your package. It should update automatically to reflect the speed your router's getting, but it doesn't look like it has in this case. I've manually updated it now to 7mbps, so if you refresh that page you should see it has changed.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Why is this a surprise, you had a fault on your line two weeks ago, presumably you or BT did not get it fixed and now it has followed you to PN?

Both companies use the same line and equipment in the cabinet, so what happened with your BT fault?

Layoes
Dabbler

Thank you. I''ve raised a fault, so I'll see what happens.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @Layoes

Can you reply to the ticket Here with your availability for a visit?

Let me know once you've responded

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Layoes
Dabbler

I've responded. I thought I had said I was available in the earlier communication, but perhaps I put it in the wrong place.

Thanks for your help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, ideally we'd need specific timeslots you'd be available because once we've booked an engineer in particular if we book for tomorrow morning 8am to 1pm, we won't be able to cancel or change it as it'd be last minute.

[edit]

I've booked the engineer now and added the appointment details onto the ticket. Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Layoes
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf,

The engineers came yesterday. They fiddled with the phone lines and took one out, but seem to have established that the fault is with the exchange box (sorry if that's not the right term, but it's down at Morrison's garage!). They say I need a new port and there isn't one available, so the fibre engineers will have to come out and sort that out, which will not necessitate a visit to me.

They were going to ring me when they'd finished at the exchange, but if they did, I didn't get it (but then, I have now only got one working phone). Presumably they will report it on the ticket, but I can't get back on to see, as the wizard just says that Help Assistant is not available.

So, no real progress yet, but they're trying!

Jill

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Hi Jill,

Cheers for the update. I'm glad to see the engineer's identified the issue and they're working on getting it sorted for you.

To view your support ticket, try clicking on the link Here. We've not yet updated it though with the engineer notes.

Looking at our suppliers systems, the engineer has mentioned there's a fault with the fibre port (at the cabinet, the green box in the road actually) and there were no spare working ports available to swap you onto. 

They don't mention Morrison's though! Pretty convenient for some lunch still... Smiley

Another engineer will likely either need to repair the faulty port or order new ports in. We should hopefully get further updates before the close of play today, as it looks like the fault's in hand with an engineer at the moment. 

Let me know if you see or hear about any developments.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Layoes
Dabbler

Doesn't look as if there will be any updates. The broadband was switched off at lunchtime for a while, now back on but download speed only 2.14 and upload only .68.  Hopefully this is just an interim position.

Jill

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah sorry to see your speed has significantly dropped Jill Sad

Looks like an engineer's left notes this afternoon to say they'll need to order a new fibre card, which suggests they can't repair it. Fingers crossed it doesn't take too long to get sent in and fitted. 

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Layoes
Dabbler

Fingers crossed, all sorted. Getting over 30 on the pc connected to the hub; my pc still showing about 4, but that's obviously a problem with the pc/wireless, so I'll get that sorted. V.pleased; don't know why BT couldn't sort it, causing me to leave them, but am happy with Plusnet so far, and communication has been vg. 

Thanks for your help, Gandalf.

Jill

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me Jill.

Awesome, I'm glad to see you're speed is a lot better now! ‌Thumbs_Up

No problem at all, let me know if there are further issues or anything else you'd need help with. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet