cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation

Getoffmywifi

Installation

Engineer had visited whilst I was away at work, (my mother in law was in).

The engineer seemed to have installed a new phone/broadband line in by the front door, with no sockets nearby, and the old router was left out clearly in the living room which is only about 10 feet from it... However there is a wall in between.

I have called Plusnet, and because we didn’t “state” a room, this is our fault? One; I have just recently moved out, and completely new to all of this, and Two; surely I’m not being unreasonable, to expect the line in they’ve installed, would atleast have a socket?

We have been told it will be a £160 charge, to have an engineer come out and “reinstall” the broadband/phone line... but the new router is right where I left it, next to the old router, in the living room.

Advice would be great, as we don’t have £160 to throw away, and this seems a little “off”...
7 REPLIES 7
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Installation

Thanks for your post @Getoffmywifi 

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with the installation. If I'm reading what you've said right and you're referring to a 'power socket' while an engineer will do their best to accommodate any requests when fitting the master socket, they'd fit this in the position they'd deem best with in mind where the incoming line comes into your property and the position of the power sockets wouldn't be something they'd be responsible for I'm afraid.

Was there a phone socket by the front door before the engineer visited and do you have a phone socket in the living room?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Getoffmywifi

Evening Gandalf,

Appreciate the quick response.

There are two phone line sockets in the living room, next to the window.

There was no phone line by the door, the engineer had to drill a hole through the wall, and run the cable down the wall right next to the door.

It may be the easiest route for the engineer, however it seems really ill advised, seeing as the cable is run down the main wall, right in clear sight, and the main issue of no wall socket being anywhere near to the location.

The previous broadband providers, have all continued along the roof, and have the cable go straight down to the living room, which is only about 10 feet further, and this would not only completely hide the cable, but we would have plenty of options with sockets to choose from.

Our hallway is also very narrow, there is no ideal place for a table to have the router on even be placed.

I’m not holding the engineer responsible by any accounts, as you mentioned yourself, they choose the simplest route for themselves.

But i can’t be expected to wire in a complete new 240v wall socket, and live with wiring, (with an unsupported junction box), just hanging down the front of my house.
Getoffmywifi

36529F59-EB17-45AD-9A87-7AB2622D7362.jpeg0DC6F411-FC75-4D87-B703-8371F6C5886E.jpegBAFD5E6D-8448-4463-A415-268746A7FD06.jpegBeforeBeforeE2A6F438-95A6-4911-BC47-DECB7B76F767.jpeg

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the detail @Getoffmywifi 

I can try raising a complaint with Openreach regarding the work the engineer has carried out and see if an engineer can return to put things right although we can't do this until the order has completed, and as an engineer will need to go back out there to carry out additional work on the line, they may rectify this if you ask them (should they contact you).

The engineer should be going out Tuesday Morning next week. If the engineer doesn't get in touch on the back of the order, I'll raise a complaint with Openreach and we'll see where that leads us to.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Getoffmywifi

Thank you Gandalf, and very much appreciated. 

I am at work all day Tuesday, will this be an issue? Should I call so that when the engineer is out, he knows what needs to hopefully be done? 

I can likely get the day off, or half a day, but obviously I don’t wish to bother the engineer, especially if he can’t do anything without any authorisation first.

thank you,

best regards,

Damien.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Damien, upon discussing this with Openreach earlier on today while the engineer for Tuesday Morning they've booked is an 'appointment' because they don't have an option in the system to assign out a multi-skilled engineer externally due to how the previous engineer has passed the job back, they've advised the engineer shouldn't need access to your property as the fault has already been identified to be on the cabling at the top of a pole requiring a hoist.

If you can get the day off work without too much hassle, it may be worth it as there shouldn't be any harm in asking the engineer especially if they do contact you, the worst that can happen is they'd say no they don't have time (or need authorisation, although I wouldn't have thought that'd be the case, as long as you're happy with the work being done).

I'm not in the office in the morning then, I'd be starting at 12:30 in the afternoon but it's unlikely we'd get any notes from the engineer until 2 or 3 at the earliest so I'll follow things up with you around then.

Feel free to let me know how it goes though.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Damien, to follow up I've checked your order with Openreach and we can confirm the order should be completed within the next 24 hours as the engineering work has been marked as all carried out.

Out of interest did the engineer fit the line/master socket in to your living room?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet