cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much downtime can I expect switch from Bt to plusnet?

FIXED
Mark63
Rising Star

Re: How much downtime can I expect switch from Bt to plusnet?

I've migrated  FTTC services twice in the last 12 years. In both cases there was actually an overlap between ISPs, in other words the username/password of the outgoing and incoming ISPS were both valid on the migration day.

The last time I migrated (to Plusnet) was 9 years ago, so maybe things have changed since, and it's become more clunky !?

lennon49lennon
Dabbler

Switch did not go as smoothly as I first posted. Plusnet only requested BT to switch my phone line and not my broadband for which they have continued to charge me for. Now I am left paying for both.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@lennon49lennon That doesn't sound correct - Plusnet only supply combined phone+broadband - the requests go in together. Unless someone can prove me wrong? @MisterW ?

John
lennon49lennon
Dabbler

I did receive a letter from BT saying plusnet had requested my telephone line to switch but it didn’t mention broadband and I wrongly assumed this would happen on activation day but it never happened at all. Just a mess now disappointing because I was so pleased with switch.
jab1
Legend

This requires investigation - @Gandalf ?Huh

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Unless someone can prove me wrong? @MisterW ?

No you're absolutely correct John
@lennon49lennon I assume PlusNet sent you a new router. Is it connected ? If so then BT can not possibly be supplying your Broadband. It's not possible to have broadband supplied by 2 suppliers on the same line!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lennon49lennon
Dabbler

Yes I am using plusnet router and sign in codes. BT are just claiming plusnet did not cancel as per their advertisement saying they would. I spent 1.5 hours on phone today being passed from one Bt person to another and someone is now emailing their manager to cancel it so I have to wait until their manager actions this request before I can fight with them about final bill.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

BT are just claiming plusnet did not cancel as per their advertisement saying they would

@lennon49lennon Complete and utter rubbish!. Plusnet don't inform BT directly, they place an order with Openreach/BTWholesale to transfer your services. Your existing ISP (BT retail in this case) is automatically informed by Openreach/BTw of the transfer. It would seem that BT Retail's systems have 'lost' the notification. As I said, its not possible for them to have been supplying your broadband as well as PlusNet.

If there's any arguments from BT then I'm sure one of the PlusNet help team will be able to provide the details of their order and transfer date.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lennon49lennon
Dabbler

That’s not the help I got when I phoned plusnet to ask this morning. They said they couldn’t email me anything to prove they had advised BT to cancel. I seem to to just bounced between these companies
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

They said they couldn’t email me anything to prove they had advised BT to cancel.

Technically that's true, because they don't advise BT of the cancellation directly. What they do have is the order details and the date Openreach/BTw completed the transfer.

John @jab1 tagged one of the help team earlier, so I'm sure they will be along shortly...

jab1
Legend

@lennon49lennon No disrespect to the call-centre staff you spoke to, but they don't have the authority or ability to do that, as @MisterW said, one of the Help Team on here will be able to sort this for you.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

BT have past form for this kind of thing, when I left - a few years ago now they tried to charge me a leaving charge. I had a battle on my hands until I started using and quoting their own rules.

So in this case, as has been pointed out, they need to check their systems and Openreach, where they will find they are in the wrong. Don’t let them fob you off, if the first person you speak to can’t see the info, ask to be transferred to second line, or a uk based customer service advisor. They do have some competant staff, sometimes it is a struggle to get to them.

The latest ofcom rules state moves can be done in days, seems they have work to do.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @lennon49lennon

I'm really sorry to see BT are still charging you for a broadband service.

I've had a look into this for you and I can confirm that we've transferred both your phone & broadband service across to us that completed on the 11/02/2022 at 07:27 which should've triggered a "leaving notification" their side. I've attached a screenshot of the completed broadband order onto a support ticket I've created on your account Here which I hope helps.

I'd recommend calling BT and asking the adviser to check the supplier/wholesale systems for a cease order.

Let me know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
lennon49lennon
Dabbler

Spoke to BT today who confirmed they would cease broadband on 22 Feb. They advised that plusnet had sent 2 cease orders on my account the first one on 27 Jan for my telephone line only and the 2nd for both telephone and broadband on 11 Feb - this caused an error on their system and second cease order was not done. Guess I will just have to pay for extra 11 days of Bt broadband but will fight with billing when they issue final bill. Just advising plusnet so some other poor customer doesn’t get this mess to sort out.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@lennon49lennon  As per my and other previous responses, I know it may be stressful, but stick to your guns, BT are wrong, demand your refund from the 11th. 

If you broadband has been working via the PN router since that date, there is no way BT could be supplying it.