answer BT owns PN !

Ticked_off

PN, where did it all go wrong ?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: How do i know when fibre is active?

I cant fault anoush’s efforts to get this moving but BT openreach have been shocking

I was a bit disappointed when I found out nothing had happened.

Hopefully this is all done and dusted tomorrow afternoon.

But who owns PN  ?,

answer BT owns PN !

More accurately, BT Group owns Plusnet. Both BT Wholesale, and Openreach, would operate as a separate entity to Plusnet and BT Retail/Consumer. This keeps the playing field level for all ISPs that use their services.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@pecrow You've probably noticed that nothings happened again. It's not good news and we may have to tread ground we've already covered, but I'm discussing this with our suppliers and I'll update your ticket soon.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pecrow
Dabbler

Thanks anoush,

i’m not making head nor tail of bt’s notes on this. Nevertheless, it looks like i’m back where i was at the beginning of december. Trying to chill out about this now and put to one side as otherwise i’d go insane. 

I do appreciate your efforts.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah I appreciate the terms and phrases used by our suppliers can understandably be difficult to decipher unless you’re trained/experienced with dealing these type of issues.

I’m sure it’ll be worth the wait in the end.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pecrow
Dabbler

Thanks anoush
This is really frustrating especially if BT omitted to reroute my phone line when they moved my neighbours into the new cab 8. Even more so as i agreed to give up part of my parking area in order to allow power to cab 8. So they wont even allow me a new phone into cab 8? This is a rural site about 1.5miles from the neared village so i cant imagine the cab would be at capacity.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Searching superfast and then your town name into Google brings up some interesting results. It might also be worth registering your interest here: http://www.nextgenaccess.com/

I'll continue to query this because from our suppliers point of view FTTC is available here.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@pecrow Just to update you here as I'm not in the office until the weekend (Despite thinking I was last week).

We've not heard back from Openreach yet, but my team will update you when we do hear back.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Me again.

I've just received an e-mail back from Openreach. Whilst they're still awaiting a response from the project manager, their systems now indicate that a live-to-live migration has started to move your line to the closer fibre cabinet.

I'll let you know when we receive a further update/clarification on whether this is the case.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pecrow
Dabbler

Encouraging news. However, this is obviously going to take a while so could i please have my adsl broadband restored while i’m waiting?

thanks for your help anoush.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Unfortunately we don't know what impact that will have on the ability for our suppliers to do the live-to-live migration.

There's two possible issues as far as I can see.

Should the ADSL order complete after the fibre migration order to cab 8 (When/if Openreach can place it) this may reverse things as the engineer who goes out to install ADSL would update the records as part of the job likely to cab 3.

But should the ADSL order complete before the migration order this may still alter the records on their systems and set the live-to-live migration back. In addition, I'm not sure if it's even possible for Openreach to complete the migration if there's no existing fibre asset (Although I appreciate it's not working at the moment).

I'll ask questions and I'll get back to you when we hear back. However, if you're happy to take the risk and would like your ADSL broadband to be restored I'll be happy to arrange that.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pecrow
Dabbler

Do we know for sure that bt are moving the line? My concern is that we may be in a situation where BTOR may take another 4 months to resolve this. Why cant it be as simple as this:

1. Restore adsl

2. Move the line (i guess while this happens, i’ll be disconnected anyway)

3. Connect fibre

if BT are definitely moving my line to cab 8, then it makes sense to process the fibre order. However, if not, i’ll need the adsl restored as an interim provision.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Do we know for sure that bt are moving the line?

Not at the moment until the project manager gets back to the Openreach manager we're in contact with.

Why cant it be as simple as this:

1. Restore adsl

2. Move the line (i guess while this happens, i’ll be disconnected anyway)

3. Connect fibre

Unfortunately there's more to this than meets the eye.

The records on the Openreach systems need to all reflect cab 8. If the ADSL order completes after the live-to-live (L2L) migration order then it'll possibly set things back as the engineer would likely update the routing to cab 3.

if BT are definitely moving my line to cab 8, then it makes sense to process the fibre order.

Your line is already provisioned on fibre (To the cab that's too far away for your router to sync).

If the L2L migration can be done then Openreach would likely place an order to move the line to the closer cab.

I think we'll have an idea of where we stand when we hear back from the project manager.

I've e-mailed the Openreach manager for an update and asking what impact an ADSL order will have on this.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for waiting.

I've received an e-mail back from the Openreach manager I'm in contact with, advising that, whilst he hasn't heard back from the project manager yet, he still believes the live to live migration (L2L) for your line to the closer cabinet is in progress (But not yet confirmed).

However, due to the length of time L2L's can take, he advises we should be safe to provision you on ADSL in the interim.

I'll place the order for you on Saturday when I'm back in the office. Because it's near to the end of the working day now and of the upcoming bank holiday weekend, this shouldn't delay the completion date much.

I'll also be sure to request the completion date is fast tracked for as soon as possible once the order is placed and confirmed in the Openreach systems.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm just following up here.

I've placed an order to put you back onto ADSL. I'll continue to keep an eye on things and make sure we're doing everything we can to activate it as soon as possible.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet