cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i know when fibre is active?

pecrow
Dabbler

How do i know when fibre is active?

I recently changed my package to fibre broadband. Received the router today, set it up and i notice that the speeds were exactly as they were on standard broadband (1-2 Mbps). Can i find out if fibre is active yet? Do i get notified?

47 REPLIES 47
dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: How do i know when fibre is active?

Usually in my experience the Openreach engineer would ring you to say he is about to change the wiring over in the cabinet. When is your activation date for fibre? 

pecrow
Dabbler

I don’t know, havnt heard from PN. I was expecting a bit more info.

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Until one of the staff checks it out for you, have a look at your order tracker, link below;

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=adsl_status

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

You could have a look at your tickets to see if there is anything there helpful.

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search (login required).

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I am not familiar with the Hub One but it is probably identified in the Advanced Settings. On the BT HH6, which superceded the HH5 (the Hub One is essentially a HH5A in different clothes) it is in Advanced Settings/Technical Log. So log into the router on 192.168.1.254 and have a look around. If you see modulation specified as 992.2 or similar you are still on standard broadband. What you need to find for fibre is 993.2. Also look at the connection speed reported by the router. If the router is synced at fibre speed then the problem is that Plusnet have failed to update your profile.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

pecrow
Dabbler

Hm, live chat agent told me that fibre would activate today. I even got an email this morning informing me that the product change is complete....but i’m still on adsl broadband speed (3mbps). So i guess the switch hasnt happened after all?

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having delays on your fibre upgrade.

Checking the account and order this side I can see the provisioning agent you spoke to earlier today has chased up the order with our suppliers to see there has been a delay due to a routing issue. The necessary work has been passed on to get the issue resolved and we have been advised by our suppliers to check back on 11/12/17 so we can progress the order. I've placed a ticket on your account with the details of this delay and placed it on hold to make sure this gets actioned for your as soon as possible. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,

pecrow
Dabbler

Hm, booted into the long grass again till the 15th. I feel this could go on and on.

mrbigstuff

Iv had exactly the same , iv just seen another user having his work delayed by an extra week until todays date ... cant be a coincidence.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Our provisions team will keep you updated via ticket 163644500.

@mrbigstuff

It looks like this is slightly different for you. With the above, there's a routing issue for a fibre upgrade. In your case, it was due to engineer availability. I can see your order has since completed. Can you connect now?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pecrow
Dabbler

Sorry plusnet, you stink. You took my fibre order mid nov. with a conection date given as 5th dec. that came and went due to a bt issue...3 further dates came and went again with PN blaming BT. Eventually, today you tell me that fibre is no longer available as the cabinet is at capacity. Probably lost out due to all the delays.

The annoying thing is that i’m currently connected to a cab in a village 3 miles away. However, there is a brand new fibre cab 100 metres away. There are 6 houses only near this cab so it is under capacity. And i had to give up some land to allow power to this new cab. When i asked about connecting to the new cab, PN werent interested and told me to call bt openreach. Turns out you cant just call BT as they deal with service providers.

then PN had the cheek to try and tie me into a new 18 month adsl contract. I have been a PN customer for 5 years but i’m walking.....

pecrow
Dabbler

Just found some more info.

bt openreach adsl checker shows my phone no. Connected to cab 3 in my exchange. This has no capacity for fibre.

the same tool has my address connected to cab 8 where fibre is available.

What is going on?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

The latest updates from BT Wholesale advise us to cancel the order we've placed and replace it against cab 8.

As you've noticed, there seems to be a records issue as your telephone number shows you're connected to cab 3 but your address shows you're connected to cab 8.

I've raised this to our suppliers to investigate the records issue and I'll follow up tomorrow.

When/if the records are all updated to cab 8 we should be able to give this another shot.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pecrow
Dabbler

Fab gandalf, at last some help. Thank you very much. I’ll keep checking the bt site for updates. Any idea how the order was accepted initially?