cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House refurbishment: need cabling re-installing

ra_beale

House refurbishment: need cabling re-installing

In March, we moved out of our house to allow for major building work and refurbishment to take place. We were told that we could move our PlusNet fiber service for free into our temporary rented accommodation, and then back again once work was completed, as long as we committed to a new 24-month contract. At the time, the customer support guy advised that when work was nearing completion, we should get in touch well in advance as the cabling would need reinstalling before we could be re-connected in our "new" (refurbished) house.

Work is now nearing completion, and our builder has asked for us to arrange to get our service re-installed so he can complete the cabling properly. When I rang customer services, I was told that the new cabling could only be installed if we ceased service at our rental property and had it activated at our refurbished house.

We can't do this, as the builder wants to finish the cabling several weeks before we will be able to move in - which means we'd have no broadband service at our rental place, and an active broadband service in a house we couldn't live in.

Is there any way round this? It seems ridiculous to me that it's not possible to do this. I don't have any problem with e.g. paying for an extra month's rental to cover the overlap, but I work from home and we absolutely cannot have a month of no service to the property we're actually living in.

Advice would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: House refurbishment: need cabling re-installing

Hello @ra_beale, Welcome to the Forums.

What cabling does the builder need to install? If it is phone extensions he can do this if you know where the master socket will be as that will be installed by BT on the day you have your service moved.

If you’re having ethernet cable installed then decide where you are going to put your switch and have him terminate the connections there. Or is there something I am missing?

ra_beale

Thanks @Anonymous. I'm not sure exactly, but he said he needs it doing now. He's already decided where our main switches etc will be. I know where the master socket used to be – but it's a fairly comprehensive refurbishment, and there is no cabling whatsoever left in the house now.

The only option I can see otherwise is getting someone like NowTV to do the connection, because at least then I'm only committed to a rolling monthly contract so won't have to pay much overlap, but it seems illogical to me - surely this must be something that happens to other people too?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well from what you’ve said @ra_beale this sounds like the ‘first fix’ where the mains wiring is laid out so he knows where sockets, lights etc are going but this should be on the drawings he’s working from and sounds like this is already taken care of so begs the question again of what wiring.

You need to ask him what wiring he is referring to, so you have a better understanding of what action you can or need to take. As I said if he is wiring phone extensions for you then the only decision needs to be where the master socket will be and this can be done without it being physically present, as any good BT engineer will terminate the extension wire provided by him for you when the socket is installed.

If it’s Ethernet cable (network cable for computers) then these can be terminated where your switch is going to go, an by switch I mean something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HLTQXZY

One thing that might raise an eyebrow is if your phone line comes in underground. If it does then the ducting and draw string should have been laid already. So the best thing to do is speak to him so you can make the best decision now.