cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House move - incumbent isp problems or just confusing tickets?

hundog
Hooked

House move - incumbent isp problems or just confusing tickets?

Hi all,

So I am moving home tomorrow, and several weeks in advance I set the transfer in motion with Plusnet to take my bb package with me. Yesterday I received a message that reads:

"We are sorry to let you know that your orders could not be completed as they got cancelled by your current provider.

Hence we would request you to speak to your current service provider and let them know that you wish to take over the line with our services. Kindly let us know once you have spoken with them and we would be more than happy to replace your orders."

Can anyone share any light on what this means and what to do next, if anything? I've tried contacting Plusnet but I don't think their team who handles moving is available. Tomorrow is Monday and I am now wondering if I will have access to the internet as promised...

Thanks,

13 REPLIES 13
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: House move - incumbent isp problems or just confusing tickets?

Can anyone share any light on what this means and what to do next, if anything?

Sounds like the current occupiers requested that their ISP terminated the service. Despite the fact that PN may already have placed a transfer order, the existing ISP termination will have overridden it and placed a 'cease'. No other ISP can now place any order until the cease completes. Crazy isn't it, but that's Openreach's systems for you!.

Only option would be to try and get the existing occupiers to stop the termination and thus the cease.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hundog
Hooked

Thanks for replying. That's not so great news - any recommendations for temporary internet/broadband to tie me over until this is sorted are welcome. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

The pragmatic option might be to look at your mobile phone provider's data packages and tether your computer to it.

Other than that, look for a mobile hot spot hub.

Once the existing suppler has ceased the line, Plusnet can usual restart the phone service the next day and get broadband active within 5 days.  Needs a staffer to confirm service availability (for example - are there free ports on the cabinet).

The only other (a tad expensive) route is to request the installation of a new line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hundog
Hooked

How long will a cease normally take to complete? Curious in case I am not able to convey the request to the previous property owner.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@hundog 

There's an OFCOM mandated 10 day delay to ordering a new service if the previous service is terminated.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

I'm really sorry for the delay with your house move. Our provisioning team don't work Sunday's, but fortunately I've picked this up for you, so you don't need to call us back tomorrow. 

From what I can see the current provider at your new address were in the process of cancelling their services that took effect on the 31.03.22, which I suspect was due to the previous tenants/owners moving out. 

I've placed an order now to provide our service on the stopped line and when that'll happen will be based upon engineer availability. The minimum 10 day Ofcom regulated time-frame only applies to taking over a working line. 

We should be able to confirm when your services will go live over there within 24-48 hours, and I've set the cease date at your existing address to 05.04.22 just so you have internet on the day of your move to help co-ordinate things. 

If you've got further queries, feel free to let me know.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hundog
Hooked

Hi - thanks for looking into it. Do you know, roughly, how long it'll take to get things up and running from my new address? I was under the impression that I would have my bb services running from the day I moved in, which is tomorrow. Thanks. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I can't activate your broadband tomorrow unfortunately but assuming all is well to provide you with fibre, it could be anywhere between 5 to 10 days as an estimate. Once I have a confirmed date, I can let you know though.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hundog
Hooked

Ok thanks. Mobile tethering until then it is.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem and apologies again for the delay.

I'll get you online as quick as I can.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @hundog,

I've just got confirmation your broadband & phone should be going live before midnight on Friday next week.

Let me know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hundog
Hooked

OK, thank you for letting me know and for looking into it today - appreciated.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries and fingers crossed things go to plan from this point on.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet