cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre upgrade but speeds havent changed

Crez04

Fibre upgrade but speeds havent changed

I've recently upgraded to fibre. The contract upgrade took place on 17 Dec, but my new Hub Two didn't arrive until yesterday so only set it up today. On doing a speedtest, I'm still only getting 5mbps. Any thoughts?
9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Fibre upgrade but speeds havent changed

@Crez04 Welcome to the forums. I have no knowledge of the Hub2 interface, but does it have a Help Desk tab? If so, can you post a screenshot?

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hello @Crez04 

A warm welcome to the forums.

Are your reporting line sync speed (as reported by the router) or data speed?  If the latter, how are you measuring the line's data speed - over WiFi or an ethernet connected device?

There are a number of reasons this might be being experienced - a wifi issue, a PC throughput issue, a line fault or a product configuration.

Have you checked the phone line?

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

What is the line speed reported in the router?  Which one do you have?

Also run the BT Wholesale speed test - note the reported speeds and LINE PROFILE speed.  Sometimes the latter figure does not get updated on a move to fibre.

And finally do you know if you are on a static IP address?  If you do not know what this means, then the answer is most probably "No!".

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Crez04 

Log in to your hub by entering 192.168.1.254 in the address field of your web browser.

Look at the opening Status page, second line down. Does it give connection type as Fibre Broadband (VDSL)? If not you haven't been upgraded yet. If it works on a 2704n hub then you definitely haven't.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Baldrick1 Good spot re: the 2704N . I hadn't thought of that.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

"The contract upgrade took place on 17 Dec, but my new Hub Two didn't arrive until yesterday so only set it up today"

Indeed that infers that the upgrade has not happened.  Unless the old router was VDSL capable (unlikely) them if the upgrade took place on the 17th you'd have been off air until the Hub Two was installed.

Is there any correspondence affirming that the CHANGE took place on the 17th as opposed to the order being processed on the 17th?  It normally takes 10 working days to implement an upgrade and routers are sent out 3 days prior to upgrade.  So allowing for two bank holiday days last week and the router's arrival yesterday, it would suggest that the actual change is scheduled for early next week.  What does the order tracker in the user portal report?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from  Fibre to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Crez04

Thank you @Baldrick1, I've checked and the connection type is showing as Broadband DSL so I think you, and others, are correct in suggesting that the upgrade hasn't taken place.
Correspondence from plusnet said the change would happen from 17th, but the router took much longer to arrive. I'll contact them directly to understand when the upgrade will be made.
Thanks to all for your help.
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

No need to get in touch @Crez04, your suspicions are correct, in that the order to upgrade your broadband is not yet complete. We did request an activation date of 17/12/2021, though it's been pushed back (by quite a lot to be honest) to 05/01/2022. This is likely due to engineer availability over the festive period.

You won't be charged for a Fibre service until it's active, so billing will take care of itself. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Crez04

@adam945 thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated