cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre upgrade. No difference

hohoholmes
Grafter

Fibre upgrade. No difference

I recently upgraded to fibre broadband. The upgrade was supposed to happen yesterday but I'm still getting the same download and upload speed 7mbps/0.4mbps... I've checked the website mentioned in previous posts about the same thing but it doesn't say anything about the line switching over (no date)... new router is plugged in and working. Any ideas why?
Tags (2)
62 REPLIES 62
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Fibre upgrade. No difference

@hohoholmes 

The hub one works on both ADSL and fibre so the chances are that it hasn’t yet been changed over. Not having a hub one I don’t know where to find it but if you log in and search through the options you will find an entry for your modulation type. You are looking for G.993.x which is fibre. If it’s G.992.x then you are still on ADSL.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

hohoholmes
Grafter

Thanks for the quick reply. Smiley I've logged in and havent been able to fine the modulation type. I looked through all the different settings and advanced settings.... hopefully to fibre happens soon. Really struggling when working from home 😕
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @hohoholmes 

From the Hub One home page click on Troubleshooting > Help Desk, you should see a table with various settings, this is VDSL

23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B

Hope this helps.

Dan.

hohoholmes
Grafter

Nice one thanks. Yeah it shows G.992.5 Annex A. Wonder when it's going to switch over as havent heard anything 🤔
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @hohoholmes

I've just checked your fibre order and it should go live today. Looks like it was delayed due to engineer availability. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hohoholmes
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I called yesterday and was told it would go live today. Router is currently on a solid orange light so I assume somethings happening now.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problem @hohoholmes

Fingers crossed the switch doesn't take long

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Order.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
hohoholmes
Grafter

Hi. The switch has now happened but the speeds are very up and down... the max download speed I've had is around 17mbps and upload around 5mbps. I've tried moving the router to different positions, changing the channels, rebooting, resetting... I've noticed I cant change the dns settings on the one router so tried my archer c50... no difference. The line is plugged into the main bt socket. When I've woke up this morning, the router is struggling to get more than 8mbps. This is so frustrating. Can this be looked into as I have a guaranteed minimum of 18mbps and haven't been able to achieve it yet.
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @hohoholmes, thanks for getting back to us and I'm sorry to hear the speeds of your connection don't look to be where we'd expect them to be with currently only 18.7Mbps download reaching your router despite the estimates for your line being 22 - 36Mbps. During the first few days/week or so of a connection we can see the training period impacting the speeds however we wouldn't expect the speeds to drop so much below your estimates so I beleive there's something out of place somewhere which may be causing this.

Our testing from this side isn't highlighting any fault locations or what looks to be behind the missing speed so firstly , if you could please run through the below checks your side that will help rule a number of internal factors out. Should speed issues look to persist after doing so then we'll happily look into raising a fault and progressing this issue further for you.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the speeds increase. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Should the issue look to persist after the above checks then please let us know and we'll happily look to progress this fault further for you.

hohoholmes
Grafter

Hi, I've tried the master socket/test line and speeds are still up and down and hardly ever at the guaranteed 18mbps download speed.
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for your response @hohoholmes and I'm sorry to hear that these issues are continuing to occur. Further tests on the line this morning have shown that the download speeds are below those which were estimated, but above those which were guaranteed on your contract. A line issue has also been detected on various days, but the source of this issue remains unclear at this stage.

The line also appears to be dropping out quite often, but it's unclear as to whether this is when you're doing your tests on your end. I'd personally suggest raising this matter to Openreach, and arranging an engineer appointment for further investigation, however we'd need confirmation on the account that you've gone through the troubleshooting steps which have been outlined, and that you accept the possibility of an engineer charge should the fault be found to be internal.

I've created an open Ticket on the account which you can respond to via your online Member Centre. give me a nudge once you've responded and I'll be happy to pick it up.

you may need to be already logged into your Member Centre to view this, but you can find the open Ticket here

I've also popped my test results onto this post if you'd like to have a look.

Capture.PNG

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 19.1 Mbps
Upstream Speed 4.2 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1160.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-06-11T21:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 18.7 Mbps 20.1 Mbps 19.5 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 3.9 Mbps 4.2 Mbps 4.1 Mbps
Up Time 628.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 898.9 Sec
Retrains 0.0 3.0 0.0
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
hohoholmes
Grafter

Hi. I havent got round to doing the last step due to work commitments. I'm working from home today and my internet's been down all day. Quick flashing orange light with intermittent orange flashing b.... I've had to use my phones data to work from home today. Any ideas what's going on? I've tried resetting. Unplugged everything, moved router... changed the wires etc
hohoholmes
Grafter

Sorry to add to the last reply. The light is flashing orange, green and red very quickly on the hub. With an orange flashing b underneath