cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre conection

jojo30

Fibre conection

I have only just subscribed (yesterday) and upgraded to fibre , but I know for a fact that openreach has only put the cable to the pole outside our property , how are we going to be connected to fibre broadband with out being physically connected to the said pole. when  I asked when to expect an engineer to connected us, the plusnet advisor said it would not be necessary, can anyone explain please?

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Fibre conection

@jojo30   Welcome to the forum.

I think that you are confused by the two different forms of fibre broadband.

Plusnet only supplies FTTC where the fibre only gets as far as a street cabinet located close to your property, the distance determines the maximum speed that you will get. The existing phone cable carries the broadband from the street cabinet to your property.

The latest system, FTTP, is what is probably on your local pole. This brings the fibre directly to your property and is much faster. Currently Plusnet does not offer this service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@jojo30 

As noted, you appear to be confusing products.

If you put your phone number in the following it'll tell you what's currently available for you property. If it shows WBC FTTP in the left hand column then "full fibre" rather than FTTC is available.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

You can check if FTTP is coming to you at

https://www.openreach.com/

Brian

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

@Baldrick1 

Sorry to disagree, but Plusnet supplied my fibre - and it's FTTP. 

Maybe things have changed since?

The existing copper line feeds my recently reconnected (and unused) BT phone, and the one for my internet is on a separate line is fibre.   

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@Minivanman wrote:

@Baldrick1 

Sorry to disagree, but Plusnet supplied my fibre - and it's FTTP. 

Maybe things have changed since?

You got FTTP via the trial.

The trial has ended and no formal product has been launched yet so no further FTTP install are possible though PlusNet yet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from General Chat to My Order

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@jojo30 

If you read the preceding posts you might realise that the service that you have signed up for will not deliver the speeds that you might be expecting. Read rhrough the document that Plusnet has sent you and take note of your estimated FTTC speed.

If it's below what you are expecting you have 14 days from the day you signed up, not the go live day, to cancel, so there's no try it and see option.

If you do a search you will find several companies that can offer FTTP, which apart from being all that will be available in the future, should be faster and more reliable.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

@MisterW 

Thank you for the reminder but I was of course well aware of that.

I was just making the point that it was done by Plusnet.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the OP can get both FTTC and FTTP. Though rare it does happen.

We need to hear back from them to clarify things.

Brian