cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband activation

Visa1982

Fibre broadband activation

i had applied for a new connection of 24th august. my phone line was activated on 2nd sep. When does the broadband get activated? I have been given a date for 17th sep, which is today but have not received any update yet. All I have done is wait for things to get done, but nothing seems to be happening...

Having read some of the messages here , it seems to be a common occurrence with plus net. To make matters worse, I have, till date, been unable to get hold of customer service rep, even after waiting for over an hour to be connected to a real person.

How long is the waiting period if you repeatedly say 45 minutes waiting and I have to wait more than an hour!!! But more importantly when will my broadband be active?Huh
18 REPLIES 18
saif1a
Dabbler

Re: Fibre broadband activation

Similar experience. It seems with Plusnet you get the message that your Broadband and Fibre is activated then 7 days later get the router, which has eaten away much of your returns period. As I recall this is either 7 or 14 days. Then they tell you that it takes a few days to get the speed. That exchange of 'couldn't care less' on line chats in itself is a joke. Today I did a speed test on receipt of my fibre router and yet again shock horror! My fibre is currently shows 6.6Mb/s line speed.
This is after the frustration upgrading from their 17Mb/s unlimited broadband offer during which I was getting 2.5Mb/s. Life is short but companies like Plusnet will happily eat into it.
saif1a
Dabbler

By the way, I waited 45 mins too on 2 occasions and gave up with their tech support on the slow line speed and decided to upgrade. For the upgrade path to Fibre I spent 90 mins through online chat. I believe the useless 17Mb unlimited broadband offer is really a shunt to get customers to sign up to Fibre in apathy.
JB2
Hooked

It seems I have joined the growing numbers of disgruntled upgrade customers.  My Plus Net Hub One arrived within a couple of days.  I waited until the email arrived telling me I was up and running.  This arrived on 2 September, predicting a speed of 38 - 40Mbs.  The router pretty much set itself up, so now I just have to be patient for the 10 days settling in period.  That ended a week ago, so I ran a test.  Guess what, 6.7 speed as I have had for a long while.  Gave it another couple of days, same result.  Tried to speak to Customer Services, but not prepared to sit on a phone for in excess of 60 minutes.  The online 'Chat' not available (it is still not as of today).  Logged in to the router, did the check yesterday and I am still on ASDL.  Have just checked again, same thing.

I've been a Plus Net customer for many years and always very happy with them, but this is rapidly changing.  I am paying an increased fee for a service I already had at a lower charge.  Just starting to think it may be time for somebody like Oftel to speak to Plus Net.  If they (Plus Net) have a problem, technoical or otherwise, they should really put out the nformation to the members, not just make it impossible for members to reach C.S.

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi JB2 and welcome to the forums.

Have you rebooted your router? Also there is no ten days settling in period on Fibre!

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
JB2
Hooked

Thank you for that advice.  I had obviusly mis read the 10 day instructions somewhere.

Have now rebooted and followed the on screen instructions, at about 1130 hours.  Some 3 hours later it has made absolutely no difference.

Previous entries on the forum suggest Plus Net have to do something their end, something about a cabinet.  Not sure what that might mean.  I will try to be patient for another few days, but am rapidly reaching kick off time.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Chat seems to be available just now for me. Make sure you're not using an ad blocker or script blocker as they can prevent chat from working.

bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

When I upgraded to fibre the router immediately connected at 40Mbps download but the actual throughput speed, even a few days later, was still stuck at the 2.5Mbps that I'd had for ADSL. I used chat (waited half an hour for my turn) and a very helpful person looked, found that the Plusnet server setting hadn't been updated and fixed it there and then. I was pleased with that level of service. But it does appear that sometimes things get overlooked and you have to query them..

JB2
Hooked

Thanks for above 2 comments.  I do not have an ad blocker working.  As of 1010 BST on 20 September the Plus Net site shows Chat not available.  Phone waiting time approaching one hour 'due to a major issue'.  I am starting to wonder why, after paying for a service provision, I have to chase the seller to get it.  That does not seem right to me.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

JB2
Hooked

Thanks again, but 'CHAT' is still unavailable on my machine.  I have tried it using Firefox (default), I.E and Edge, all with AVG Firewall disabled.  Same result with each browser.  Then tried it on another desk top, same.  Then on a lap top, same.  I am using a Plus Net Hub One router, is there a switch of some sort in that?  Frustration is really starting to boil over now.  If this goes no much longer I think I can hold Plus Net in breach of our contract and move on somewehre else, although I seriously do not want to take that road.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Chat is still working here...

bobminors
Aspiring Pro

Do you need to have Flash installed to use chat? Could that be the problem?

Browni
Aspiring Hero

That's a good question @bobminors but unfortunately not the answer as I have just tried accessing chat after uninstalling Flash and it still worked.

bobminors
Aspiring Pro

I'm getting chat unavailable now, too. (12:31)

There is another way to contact PN - if you go to https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/contact/ and hit the "Contact Customer Services" button, you can raise a "Question" yourself and there is space to enter details of the problem. It will appear in your "Questions" in your member centre home page. It may take a day or two to get an answer, but someone will look into the problem eventually.