Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre activation due on Tuesday and no word on router

FIXED
saguaro
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Fibre activation due on Tuesday and no word on router

On Saturday 27/3 I ordered an upgrade to Unlimited Fibre and paid the P&P for a new router. So far I've had no communication beyond the initial confirmation email, and with the holiday weekend looming I'm a little worried that the new router might not arrive before the change is due to take effect on 6th April. Is it too soon to panic?

I do have a personal router that I might be able to use instead -- TP-LINK Archer VR900, which claims to be Fibre/VDSL compatible, but on my ADSL it currently seems to work less well than my old ASUS DSL-N55U, so I've been using that. (The original Plusnet Thomson router that I got in 2010 hasn't been up to the job for quite a while.) Is it worth planning to try the TP-LINK box if the proper one doesn't arrive in time? It would be quite inconvenient not to have working broadband next Tuesday night.

5 REPLIES 5
saguaro
Rising Star

Re: Fibre activation due on Tuesday and no word on router

I have now been notified that my Hub is on the way, which is progress.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The VR900 should work fine

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

saguaro
Rising Star

Fix

Well, I now seem to be running at fibre speeds as of about half an hour ago, so I guess I can mark this as solved -- even though I have had no communication from Plusnet beyond the automated text and email to say the Hub was in the post. (I must say the extra speed is nice.) 😊

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@saguaro  I hope you are using the TP link Modem/Router because nearly all the Asus DSL models have a very poor Mediatek modem chipset which doesn't work well with Openreach VDSL2 (FTTC), poor speeds and line drops are likely to happen. If you are using the Asus I would disconnect it and switch to the TP link ASAP.🤔 The TP link is also probably a lot better than the Plusnet Hub1 which has a lot of problems, particularly with WiFi. Various test firmware versions have been pushed to users requesting help (see the router forum) but an official release is still a few months away. I have never used ISP supplied routers, they are generally cheap and cheerful and lacking in configuration options.

saguaro
Rising Star

Thanks, the Asus model I have is several years old and isn't even supposed to work with VDSL as far as I know. I had put the TP-Link away last summer, because after I swapped things around trying to diagnose what turned out to be a dead RJ-11 cable the Asus would stay in sync for months on end and the newer TP-link always seemed to have trouble after a couple of days, so after a couple of attempts to go back I just left the Asus plugged in.

I'm running on the Hub One at the moment, but I might switch to the TP-Link or at least hold it in reserve.