Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre activation date nearly a week ago, router still claiming no broadband

boron-sierra
Hooked

Fibre activation date nearly a week ago, router still claiming no broadband

Hi there,

I recently moved into a new flat, signed up for the unlimited fibre extra package with Plusnet and had what I guess is the usual setup process. I was told when the engineer came to set up the phone line (didn't need to access the house so I didn't actually see it happen), when the activation date would be and, when the day came, that my order was complete. That day was just under a week ago and still every time I plug in the Hub One I was sent the light turns green, then blue, then orange with the flashing red broadband warning.

As per the instructions I have tried doing a factory reset with the router but it doesn't actually seem to respond to it; I have pressed an open paper clip into it for up to 20 seconds and the lights still don't change. This could mean that my Hub One is faulty but since I don't have a home phoneset with which to check the dial tone of the line itself I cannot be sure. I also only have one port in my flat so I cannot switch the router to another one to check that way either.

Since my first payments for the service have already been taken out I would like to narrow the possibilities down before even considering another engineer visit as I understand I will be charged if it turns out to be a fault I could have resolved. Therefore all I ask for now is whether a member of support staff could check to make sure that my line is actually activated so I know if it really could be a router problem or something else I can fix myself. Is that possible?

I will probably brave the wait times and ring up on the weekend after checking the router over again (I have barely any time during the week to do so and only have internet access from work) but thought I might as well post on here too in case it gets noticed.  

Cheers!

16 REPLIES 16
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Fibre activation date nearly a week ago, router still claiming no broadband

Hi there,

It seems that four days after your provision completed with us, we placed an order to migrate you over to our new network. I have had to cancel this order to test your line, though it's unlikely to have impacted your connection.

Testing your line gives me the following result:

OR Test results indicate that the modem is either not connected or not powered up.
Resolution/Recommendation: Please ensure the modem is powered up and connected and then retest

Bit of an odd question, but the description of the lights seems similar to those described in this thread here. Do you have a Chromecast hooked up at all?

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Gower1
Dabbler

@boron-sierra As someone who's spent the past 2.5 weeks pressing reset on their Hub One I can say that the hard reset behaviour you observe seems normal. I would wait until you have the orange + red B, then press in the reset button until you hear it click, hold for ten seconds, then release.  I think it needs you to let go before it resets, and if you hold it in for much longer I think it doesn't reset.  You'll know you've successfully reset it because it will change from orange back to green and then go through the usual sequence.

Although I have no connection, I took my hub to my mother-in-law's house to check it on her PlusNet connection, after being asked to check mine by technical support.

boron-sierra
Hooked

Hi Matty,

Thanks for getting back to me! I'm afraid I don't have a Chromecast, once the light switches to steady orange with the broadband light flashing, it doesn't change anymore. I also realise that I did have it switched off for most of the weekend as well, so that likely would have been the cause of the test result, sorry! I'll turn it on and follow @Gower1's reset instructions as soon as I get back from work today if the test needs running again.  

Cheers 

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you give me a nudge once it's back up, I'll test your line again.

Matty

boron-sierra
Hooked

Ok the router is now back on and plugged in so should be good for testing.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,

I've just picked this up and tried to run the test but I'm getting a response to say that the modem is either not connected or not powered up.

If possible can you make sure it's plugged in and powered up for the duration of us looking into this for you?

Feel free to PM me once it's connected up again as that will alert me by email to try again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
boron-sierra
Hooked

Any updates? The modem has been switched on and plugged into the line the whole time since I posted last. 

boron-sierra
Hooked

Assuming the line tests still give the same result, how long can I expect it to take for a new modem to be sent (assuming that's the solution)? Got a text reminding me my next monthly direct debit is going out soon and I'm still not online! 

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Looks more like the basic line connection / configuration by BTOR has not been completed correctly?

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll update this thread shortly.

Problem Explanation: OR Test results indicate that the modem is either not connected or not powered up.
Resolution/Recommendation: Please ensure the modem is powered up and connected and then retest.

We can explore dispatching out a new router if this is the problem, however it's worth double checking the router is connected up in the correct way. If you want to PM me a picture of your setup I can help with that. Hopefully we can get you up and running soon.

Matty

boron-sierra
Hooked

Thanks Matty!

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've just updated my comment.

boron-sierra
Hooked

PM'd a photo of the modem a while ago now, and told of how that's the only port I can plug into, so what next? Now paid for two months of no internet, I appreciate there's a lot of people on here but if it's gonna be as simple as ordering a new one then just let me know and get it done! Not one to complain usually but it's been ages now and sorry but I'm starting to lose patience. I've heard great things about Plusnet from friends who've been with them and don't want to have to switch providers but I will consider just that if things keep going as slowly as this. Don't let me down guys!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I'm sorry to hear that you're still not able to connect to the internet. Sad

Testing your broadband, I can see your router is still not in sync. If you raise this to us at http://faults.plus.net I will make sure the ticket is picked up ASAP.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button